Home security cameras and NCL internet.

KyleClark

No problems while at sea with access, sometimes it'll lag badly due to latency - playback of clips acceptable.   Test run it before leaving home to make sure your apps are updated ... ours integrated into central station monitoring & if activated, system would text alert & operator would call (thankfully, yet to happen)  We do test ours on a periodic basis with motion & other sensors.

Enjoy your cruise. 

16 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

No problems while at sea with access, sometimes it'll lag badly due to latency - playback of clips acceptable.   Test run it before leaving home to make sure your apps are updated ... ours integrated into central station monitoring & if activated, system would text alert & operator would call (thankfully, yet to happen)  We do test ours on a periodic basis with motion & other sensors.

Enjoy your cruise. 

Has been dependent on if the ship is docked or at sea.  But, I’ve always been able to check my vid captures at least once/day.

We are able to connect to our Lorex camera app with zero issues. I do think where you connect on the ship can have influences on your latency and connectivity, but you should be able to check from time to time with not too much issue.

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

If I need home security cameras, I’m living in the wrong area. 

Not necessarily.  I recently had someone knock on my door at 4am and my app woke me up. There was a guy standing there and it scared the crap out of me.  After watching him a few minutes, he got to an angle where I could see a bag of food in his hand. I realized he was a Grub Hub driver at the wrong house.

• Like 1

Systems out there exist that also monitor, optionally for, leaks, smoke/CO alarms, pets & parcels delivered on front porch/yard, "interactive" baby-cam and possibly as a lifeline for frail persons & elderly parents/relatives living alone without 24/7 attended care, etc. ... tracking in real time.  Not needed nor appreciated until someone close to you are on the opposite end.  You can reach out virtually to chat, say hi on a video link and to see that s/he is fine ... with privacy safeguards agreed on/established.  

Aside from spotty satellite WiFi links at sea, mine go thru a secured VPN.  To each her/his own ... Twice, our neighbors were thankful twice, on her fully covered no-fault, hit-n-run auto insurance claims by 2 different hit-n-run drivers in front as videos served as proof, saved the 3 owners' vehicles hit, around $23,000 worth of body shop repairs ... "poor" Geico as the insurer for all 3 cars.  No need to be thankful for those all weather, IR night vision camera. 

To each her/his own about what's important, or not.  In this day & age, peace-of-mind, regardless - "big brother is watching from out there, somewhere ... as noted by Snowden in exile abroad.  

• Like 4

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No luck getting to Ring from NCL ships. 

Sorry, disagree @BirdTravels.  Just off of the Joy and I got Ring notifications all the time so long as I was attached to NCL's internet WITHOUT even being logged in.  Connecting was a breeze as was conversing with whomever set off the alert.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debenson0723 said:

Not necessarily.  I recently had someone knock on my door at 4am and my app woke me up. There was a guy standing there and it scared the crap out of me.  After watching him a few minutes, he got to an angle where I could see a bag of food in his hand. I realized he was a Grub Hub driver at the wrong house.

That’s crazy…

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Systems out there exist that also monitor, optionally for, leaks, smoke/CO alarms, pets & parcels delivered on front porch/yard, "interactive" baby-cam and possibly as a lifeline for frail persons & elderly parents/relatives living alone without 24/7 attended care, etc. ... tracking in real time.  Not needed nor appreciated until someone close to you are on the opposite end.  You can reach out virtually to chat, say hi on a video link and to see that s/he is fine ... with privacy safeguards agreed on/established.  

Aside from spotty satellite WiFi links at sea, mine go thru a secured VPN.  To each her/his own ... Twice, our neighbors were thankful twice, on her fully covered no-fault, hit-n-run auto insurance claims by 2 different hit-n-run drivers in front as videos served as proof, saved the 3 owners' vehicles hit, around $23,000 worth of body shop repairs ... "poor" Geico as the insurer for all 3 cars.  No need to be thankful for those all weather, IR night vision camera. 

To each her/his own about what's important, or not.  In this day & age, peace-of-mind, regardless - "big brother is watching from out there, somewhere ... as noted by Snowden in exile abroad.  

If I had to street park, I would consider a cam..fair point.  I hope it never comes to that. 

1 hour ago, PTC DAWG said:

That’s crazy…

Not really. My son works graveyard and also remote from his home (someone has to keep those streaming services working on the other side of the world).  It's not unusual for him to order his 'lunch' delivered in the middle of the night.  It's a 24 hour society now. And as @mking8288mentioned, home security cameras are invaluable for other things, not just for crime prevention.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

No luck getting to Ring from NCL ships. 

I have Ring and I have never had an issue viewing my cameras or answering my doorbell from any NCL ships (I always upgrade to streaming internet.)  Not sure if it matters, but I always cruise from New York - usually to Bermuda, Bahamas or New England and I'm always in the Haven (front of ship.)   Now that I think about it, I've never had an issue from the Gem either and in that case I'm always in an aft-facing cabin.

I actually had a friend with me on the Escape who live-streamed her (now ex lol) boyfriend talk to other women for HOURS from her apartment (via her Canary cameras) while he was supposedly feeding her cats. (She had just gotten the cameras -- not to catch the boyfriend who she foolishly trusted -- but so that she could watch her kittens during the day 😳 lol.)

I've never had any issues with NCL streaming internet and have always had great connectivity to live stream TV and other apps.

3 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL, Far from it..I just have great neighbors in a nice area..

Robber #1..Gee Ralph this is such a nice area, with what looks like some great neighbors...

Robber #2 You're right Elmo, let's go to a not as nice area and rob a house there !

• Haha 2

The answer is quite simply it depends.  There is nothing inherent that will stop it.  However where the ship is located and how many people are online can cause an issue.  Usually things will buffer it you have an app.  It also will depend on your upload/upstream  speed you have at home and how much traffic you have.  I am able to watch my cameras  I have 4 different kinds.  On the day we were leaving it came in very handy as my brother in law went to out house to pick us up vs his mother's.  We also use the cameras to keep track if packages that arrive as well as pets and the garage door opening and closing.  

I got EufyCam notifications via the Eufy app without actually 'using' my minutes (same with all push notifications e.g. Gmail), I was just connected to the NCL network. However to view the alert/playback I'd need to connect to the ship internet, and it worked fine.