Internet: Unlimited, but Unusable. Is this unique?

sirclean

18 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

My story is similar - Internet on the Regal in November (Bahamas, Eastern Caribbean) and the Majestic in April (California Coast) were good enough to stream with few issues.  Something's gone off the rails since then.  Vibeguy's explanations seem especially compelling, but I'm still struggling to integrate it into my understanding.  My next Princess cruise is in April and I hope they figure things out by then.

Same with our cruise in Mar/April on the Enchanted (Caribbean).

Something must have changed since then as I keep reading about all the issues. 

I mostly used the internet early mornings and never had the problems that I keep reading about. I also used Zoom one day for 2 hours without any disconnect at 1 PM while docked in Aruba- Again without any problems.

We'll be back on the Enchanted shortly & see if things have degraded. ☹️

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 2:28 AM, VibeGuy said:

The partners and principals at A**enture are brilliant at selling the frescoes of the Sistine Chapel and delivering fingerpaint from intellectually challenged toddlers.   

I think we can probably use the whole name, as A* and Carnival issued a joint press release warning the world.

https://newsroom.accenture.com/news/accenture-named-premier-innovation-partner-for-carnival-corporations-global-experience-and-innovation-team.htm

And, another:

https://newsroom.accenture.com/news/celebrity-cruises-to-collaborate-with-accenture-to-bring-modern-luxury-brand-promise-to-its-digital-customer-experience.htm

• Like 1

I agree, the Wifi on the Discovery has been our worst experience yet.  But it's been pretty bad on the other ships too since the restart of cruising.

Our last two cruises have been on the Discovery and I spoke to Internet Manager on both cruises.  Neither one made any attempt to say that it was an isolated problem, they readily admitted that everyone experienced the same issues with the slow internet.  It was on the Discovery that I was never able to access my Cox email and for the first time started receiving the message below.  On the first cruise the IM was able to replicate the message on his device and said he would turn it in to shoreside.  The second IM just shrugged and said try a computer, it might be better (it didn't).

Other nuggets from the Internet Managers:

• No change in the provider, they've been with SES 7+ years and nothing has changed in that regard since the restart.  One did say that the difference is attributable to the fact that there used to be around 600 devices connected at one time and now there are frequently more than 4000 connected.
  • App updates were deliberately slowed down because many folks have enabled automatic updates and they take up a lot of bandwidth.  I got the sense that they have slowed down other sites too but didn't explicitly ask.  Example: on my October cruise I could not access Cruise Critic at all....
  • I got frequent "no internet" messages on my iPhone and there were often delays in sending and receiving text messages.  The most recent IM just said that's a problem with Wifi calling.  Couldn't get him to elaborate.
  • When asked about why they keep advertising "Fastest internet at sea", I got a big smile.  Then the IM went on to explain that the limitations are in the fine print.  And then he finally said there's a difference between what Marketing says and the reality on the ship.

I wish that Princess would just own up to the shortcomings.  It's clear that it's different from the pre-Covid experience and Vibe Guy seems to have nailed the change in the actual satellites that happened.  It stinks that they are flat out lying about it and it's something I've put on every single survey.  People are clearly relying on what they say about network reliability and making work or family commitments as a result.  The fact that Princess doesn't seem to care about the consequences that guests may face is unacceptable.  I do love cruising on Princess.  I do not like being lied to.

IMG_9048.PNG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, azbirdmom said:

wish that Princess would just own up to the shortcomings.  It's clear that it's different from the pre-Covid experience and Vibe Guy seems to have nailed the change in the actual satellites that happened.  It stinks that they are flat out lying about it and it's something I've put on every single survey.  People are clearly relying on what they say about network reliability and making work or family commitments as a result.  The fact that Princess doesn't seem to care about the consequences that guests may face is unacceptable.  I do love cruising on Princess.  I do not like being lied to.

I totally agree, but Princess will not own up to the shortcomings of MedallionNet and the Fastest Internet At Sea because they are simply not financially motivated to do so. Right now they are selling plus and premium packages boasting of their internet capabilities. Even refunding guests $10 a day (when forced, usually because of total outages), they are making big bank. Even if guests don’t purchase the all inclusive packages, Princess is now collecting $5 a day from all the Platinum and Elite cruisers that used to get internet for free, frankly for internet that is unlimited but no better than it used to be.

I think most people will continue to purchase it in the hopes that they’ll get connectivity of some sort, so Princess will continue to profit from providing minimal internet.  However, Princess wants to appeal to a younger target market; younger target markets demand high speed, always available internet or their vacation of choice will be an all-inclusive resort. 

It used to be the fastest internet at sea. Cruising on the Ruby Princess from LA to Sydney, around New Zealand, up to the islands of New Caledonia, Vanuatu and Fiji in 2019, it truly was game changing. Princess is promising us that capability, providing close to nothing and making money all the way. As with so many things, our option is to take it or leave. 

Every night before I go to sleep, I thank God that I am not an internet manager on a Princess ship right now. I can’t imagine what they go through every day. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

With the “plus” package it’s basically a gimme..as tips is $15 a day; so you’re really only paying an extra $35 a day for drinks and “some” form of WiFi…

and that “internet manager” (LOL at the title) is 100% correct..pre-covid, no one really bought the WiFi package..post-covid..every.single.person

42 minutes ago, KarmaCruisers said:

With the “plus” package it’s basically a gimme..as tips is $15 a day; so you’re really only paying an extra $35 a day for drinks and “some” form of WiFi…

and that “internet manager” (LOL at the title) is 100% correct..pre-covid, no one really bought the WiFi package..post-covid..every.single.person

I didn't have a great problem with the Wi-Fi last cruise BUT if on the next trip it's degraded as much as some people have said, then I'll be reconsidering the plus package in the future.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I didn't have a great problem with the Wi-Fi last cruise BUT if on the next trip it's degraded as much as some people have said, then I'll be reconsidering the plus package in the future.

You could always drink some more to make up for the slow internet. Amortize it one way or another.

1 hour ago, KarmaCruisers said:

It is clear that math is not a strong point at Princess. Not only are more people on line now they are asking to do more on line. Is there "enough" bandwidth in the satellites to deal with all the cruise ships?

4 hours ago, azbirdmom said:

No change in the provider, they've been with SES 7+ years and nothing has changed in that regard since the restart.  One did say that the difference is attributable to the fact that there used to be around 600 devices connected at one time and now there are frequently more than 4000 connected.

Except it was Princess who introduced the packages and heavily promoted them. They had to know that usage would skyrocket. Also, it does not explain the slow or no internet we experienced during the restart sailings at 60% capacity or less in some cases. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NownZen said:

You could always drink some more to make up for the slow internet. Amortize it one way or another.

I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with the 15 drinks per day as it is. 

I don't want to be another statistic like on a Carnival ship.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Musky Ike said:

Except it was Princess who introduced the packages and heavily promoted them. They had to know that usage would skyrocket. Also, it does not explain the slow or no internet we experienced during the restart sailings at 60% capacity or less in some cases. 

Indeed they did.  And on top of that they introduced the Premier package that includes 4 devices instead of 1 and also 2 specialty dinners.  And that's when the Wifi was already at a crawl and specialty dining was so oversubscribed that it was difficult if not impossible to reserve when onboard.  There's an obvious disconnect between Marketing and reality, just like the Internet Manager said.  They continue to make promises that they can't deliver on.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

I'm having a hell of a time keeping up with the 15 drinks per day as it is. 

I don't want to be another statistic like on a Carnival ship.

How was that guy to know that the restroom was not on the other side of the railing?

10 minutes ago, sirclean said:

The problem is that the 250 FREE minutes WORKED!!  The "unlimited" internet is "unlimited" in that it is the estimated length it will take to load your email!!!  Otherwise, it is simply a source of UNLIMITED Frustration! 

It is only a 'better deal" IF you can get more then 250 minutes of usable time !  I assure you that on my trip last week, I did not get even 20 minutes of USABLE internet time.  AND I paid for the aggravation!  CLEARLY that is NOT a 'Better Deal"

So keep the violin for yourself.  You clearly dont understand the problem, which is why you cant work it out! 

My experience with the 250 minutes was that it was so slow that it kept me from doing much and having more time for the bars. It was painful so I would just check email and log out. When the new stuff is working, it is tolerable. Then, there are the days when there is no internet.

• Like 2

The way people use connectivity in the mobile and broadband age is distinctly different than it was when you sat down at the computer and “got online”.    Push and background tasks and other forms of ubiquitous connectivity created behavioral change, and the minute-based packages were no longer useful.  

Minutes-based internet packages are for people who type in all caps and forward chain email to relatives who avoid them at family gatherings. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sirclean said:

It is only a 'better deal" IF you can get more then 250 minutes of usable time !  I assure you that on my trip last week, I did not get even 20 minutes of USABLE internet time.  AND I paid for the aggravation!  CLEARLY that is NOT a 'Better Deal"

It will cost us $330 at the discounted rate to replace the free minutes we used to get for a 33 day cruise.

$330 is not small change.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

No it won't.  It will cost you $330 to get 47520 minutes of wifi, i.e. 190 times more than you used to get for free.

The 1000 free minutes we received for that length cruise was more than sufficient.

The 47.52 times (not 190 times) is meaningless unless we wanted to both be using the Internet 24x7, giving up sleep, onboard activities and time on shore to do so.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NownZen said:

How was that guy to know that the restroom was not on the other side of the railing?

I think he just figured it was more convenient to go over the side & had to step up a little on the railing- just when the ship hit a pot hole. 😄

I don't get all of the technical aspects discussed here but am not expecting great service on our two upcoming long cruises. Bearing that in mind I thought this was hilarious:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-cruise-ships-2022-cruise-critic/index.html

2022 Cruise Critic Editors' Picks Awards in the Ocean category

Best Innovation/Tech: Princess Cruises

BTW, that was the only category they won....

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I don't get all of the technical aspects discussed here but am not expecting great service on our two upcoming long cruises. Bearing that in mind I thought this was hilarious:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/best-cruise-ships-2022-cruise-critic/index.html

Another reason why you can't believe things you read on the internet. 

Even Cruise Critic exaggerates the truth at times. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, paradiselivin1 said:

I think that the medallion is indeed a great technical innovation for them. The associated pre-cruise  app and the onboard internet service are different issues and still works in progress.

• Like 3