Kids passports?

Sunseeker20

My immediate response would be yes, but there is much confusing information online about this.  It would seem that it is down to age as one of the qualifiers.  

I really think that your cruise line would be the best one to answer this question, or your TA if you are working with a TA.

Depending on the age of your children, what do you do now if you were to enter the USA?  I would think that the same rules would apply if you were flying or driving to the USA.  Definitely you as the parent will need a passport, so it would then be whatever basic rule there is for the age of your children.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Depending on the age of your children, what do you do now if you were to enter the USA?  I would think that the same rules would apply if you were flying or driving to the USA.  Definitely you as the parent will need a passport, so it would then be whatever basic rule there is for the age of your children.

From Canada's Travel Smart app for Canadian citizens

Flying to the US (or even transiting through the US by air) requires a passport or a Nexus card. This is true for everyone including children.

Entering by land or water, Canadian citizens 15 years and under require one of a passport, an original or copy of a birth certificate, or an original Canadian citizenship certificate.

• Like 1

The US Department of Homeland Security states the following with respect to entry by land or sea:

• U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

https://www.dhs.gov/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sunseeker20 said:

Thank you! I also found the information confusing because every government website said only a birth certificate was necessary but the agent I spoke with from Royal Caribbean said they needed a passport so I really wasn't sure!

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to matter to RCI what the national requirements are. Illogically, the RCI website requires even US citizen’s sailing with their US passport book must ensure that it is valid at least 6 months after their cruise, even when the country/countries visited have no such requirement.

As cruise line agents and webpages sometimes don't reflect the reality of requirements at the port, I hope that someone with recent experience taking their children on an Alaskan cruise with RCI can comment on their experience. If you don't get further information here, you might want to ask on the RCI board.

• Like 1

I'd get their passports done - I recently landed an appointment at Surrey passport office and was in and out in 40 minutes for the drop off.   Pickup took 90 minutes - but if you're far enough out you can get them mailed to you.  

22 hours ago, Djsmrs said:

I'd get their passports done - I recently landed an appointment at Surrey passport office and was in and out in 40 minutes for the drop off.   Pickup took 90 minutes - but if you're far enough out you can get them mailed to you.  

I think I will get them just to be sure! I wish I lived in the lower mainland again, I'm more North and will need to send away, so hoping it doesn't take too long

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunseeker20 said:

I think I will get them just to be sure! I wish I lived in the lower mainland again, I'm more North and will need to send away, so hoping it doesn't take too long

When is the cruise?

How old are the children?

If May or later if you do them now you should get them back in time