Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

Been busy loading up Audio Books on my iPhone.    A CC members recommended using my Local Library and Hoopla.    This option has saved me a bundle.   It's incredible the resources in our Public Libraries at our fingertips.

Here's what's up on my Book List -

Chris Carter -  07 - I am Death

Jefferson Bass - 09 - Gallery of the Dead

Joe R Lansdle - 09 Honky Tonk Samurai

John Sanford  - 23 Silken Prey

Karen Slaughter -  Grant County - 04 Indelible

Patricia Cornwell - Win Grano - 02 At Risk

• Like 3

All this talk about stopping at home ...

We live in the SF bay area as well (about 10 miles or so from Jim and Iain).  In 2021, we met a couple from San Francisco on a Princess cruise.  When we had a port stop there earlier this year, they picked us up at the cruise port and we spent the day together.  It was very nice, but at the end I pointed out that we really didn't need to be on a cruise to see each other, we only live 35 miles apart.

We've had dinner together a few times since.

• Like 2

I wish you both a wonderful and healthy cruise.   Had to cancel our Jan 2, one, but my DH getting CP was a real bummer, especially because he is so healthy.  Hope you both enjoy everything, sharing all the good stuff with us eager to read about your adventures.

54 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

...on my iPhone...

By the way, Jim, I signed up for that online iphone photography school that you mentioned recently. They were running a special this weekend for 90% off instead of the usual 80% off. I've only gotten through a couple of the introductory videos, but so far so good. I already like his emphasis on composition.

So very nice to log into Cruise Critic and see your thread!  We returned from  our first cruise, the Equinox in late Oct. 2022, since the pandemic and multiple canceled cruises and now get to cruise vicariously through you on the Solstice.  Our next cruise, and first B2B, will be on the Silhouette in Feb.

Thanks in advance for the posts and pictures.  You and Iain are awesome to let us join along.  Safe travels, warm breezes at your back and gentle seas.

• Like 2

Looking forward to hearing your perspectives as we're on the same cruise.  It will be our inaugural Zenith sailing and can't wait to see how that works out!  We lucked into a corner aft sky suite so I'm hoping for calm seas. Been in those cabins before and while I love the space it can get a little rocky back there. We arrived yesterday and spending a few nights in San Pedro,  which as we're discovering is probably 2 nights too many but at least we're out of the cold Chicago weather.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm laughing about the Bose Sleepbuds.    I just tossed mine in my suite case 10 minutes ago.  The product that saves so many marriages.

And I thank you for that.

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The storm front is starting to move into the Bay Area.  You can see Sunnyvale is still in a shadow.  
should pass by noon then just showers. 

68029E5D-90C4-4F8D-9427-D5D07E035555.png

Looks like we both use the same app, Radar Scope.

Jim,

I just saw this.  I am so far behind already and you haven't even left.  We will be sailing on the same ship in February.  I am anxious to hear how you deal with your transfers.  Thanks for doing this again.  I will be waiting for your great photos.

Karen

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hmmm.. didn't know of that one.   But then again since Uber I've never taken a cab.

Interesting factoid on Uber vs. cab:  last time I returned to RSW my usual car service couldn't pick me up because he had two drivers out sick and my time was iffy because I'd picked up a rental car in Miami when getting off the ship and I had to return it.  Cab was $10 cheaper than Uber and right there, controlled by a cab stand.

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

That is one real advantage of Princess.    Over the years we have sailed out of San Francisco 3x for the beginning of the Alaska season.     Last year we did a coastal B2B and each had an overnight in SF.   We were able to see friends that hadn't seen due to Covid.    Also took the Ferry to Sausalito and Angel Island.    Fun to be a tourist in you own back yard.

Regarding cruising "near home," I keep hoping for a cruise out of LA or Long Beach with an overnight in San Francisco when the Dodgers are playing the Giants. 

You know, something simple. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I absolutely love St Martin.     Hope your weather stays perfect.   Does the ship feel crowded?

Not to bad at all. Def. more people then our previous cruises on Edge and Apex over the past year, but good!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I wish you both a wonderful and healthy cruise.   Had to cancel our Jan 2, one, but my DH getting CP was a real bummer, especially because he is so healthy.  Hope you both enjoy everything, sharing all the good stuff with us eager to read about your adventures.

Sorry to hear about your husband.   Hope he is doing well.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RichYak said:

By the way, Jim, I signed up for that online iphone photography school that you mentioned recently. They were running a special this weekend for 90% off instead of the usual 80% off. I've only gotten through a couple of the introductory videos, but so far so good. I already like his emphasis on composition.

I agree.   It's incredible his knowledge of photography -- especially using and iPhone and  the results you can achieve.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, peanut head said:

So very nice to log into Cruise Critic and see your thread!  We returned from  our first cruise, the Equinox in late Oct. 2022, since the pandemic and multiple canceled cruises and now get to cruise vicariously through you on the Solstice.  Our next cruise, and first B2B, will be on the Silhouette in Feb.

Thanks in advance for the posts and pictures.  You and Iain are awesome to let us join along.  Safe travels, warm breezes at your back and gentle seas.

Thanks Peanuthead.   Looking like Silhouette is going to be a very popular ship in the coming months.   Hope you enjoy.

5 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

Looking forward to hearing your perspectives as we're on the same cruise.  It will be our inaugural Zenith sailing and can't wait to see how that works out!  We lucked into a corner aft sky suite so I'm hoping for calm seas. Been in those cabins before and while I love the space it can get a little rocky back there. We arrived yesterday and spending a few nights in San Pedro,  which as we're discovering is probably 2 nights too many but at least we're out of the cold Chicago weather.

Welcome to the Zenith Family.   I sure hope they do a Zenith Lunch but haven't heard of them hosting any on Solstice.   You of course will get a regal treatment with a Ceremony on the Bridge. 

4 hours ago, Mike981 said:

And I thank you for that.

Looks like we both use the same app, Radar Scope.

I"ve used Radarscope for about 10 years and love it.   Most of our winter rains are showers and I can tell by the radar when to leave on my walk.    I use a radar about 10 miles from our house so very accurate.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rcssmom said:

Jim,

I just saw this.  I am so far behind already and you haven't even left.  We will be sailing on the same ship in February.  I am anxious to hear how you deal with your transfers.  Thanks for doing this again.  I will be waiting for your great photos.

Karen

Thanks Karen.  

Will get you as much information as I can.

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Interesting factoid on Uber vs. cab:  last time I returned to RSW my usual car service couldn't pick me up because he had two drivers out sick and my time was iffy because I'd picked up a rental car in Miami when getting off the ship and I had to return it.  Cab was $10 cheaper than Uber and right there, controlled by a cab stand.

I love it.    I"m sure Cabs have changed greatly but in the past the quality of the vehicles were really iffy.   Also in the past you had to have cash which is something I rarely have on men.   I did just pick up $200 in cash so I should be ok. 

3 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Regarding cruising "near home," I keep hoping for a cruise out of LA or Long Beach with an overnight in San Francisco when the Dodgers are playing the Giants. 

You know, something simple. 😉

Last years cruise we  overnighted the night before the World Series.   While we missed it by mere hours it was fun to participate in the Pre-Game fun and excitement. 

They ran all the homeless off and steam cleaned all the roads and sidewalks.   Looked fantastic.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Stratford1950 said:

How did it go getting the stitches out😳

Surprisingly quick.   Took maybe 10 second.    No pain and didn't even feel it.  All is good and after 2 months the doctor said he was ready to call it a success.  

They are weaning me off Prednisone drops down  from 8X a day to 2x for 2 weeks then 1x for 2 weeks and then done.  

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Surprisingly quick.   Took maybe 10 second.    No pain and didn't even feel it.  All is good and after 2 months the doctor said he was ready to call it a success.  

They are weaning me off Prednisone drops down  from 8X a day to 2x for 2 weeks then 1x for 2 weeks and then done.  

Isn’t it great getting older…glad it went well now focus on your cruise🧐

9 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Will update you on that shortly.    From other blogs they say it can be chilly on the first day and 1/2 while at sea and then 70-80's     We are having some cold front coming through and even LA is hitting lows of 50 at night. 

While on my walks I usually only wear a sweatshirt or sweater and usually have to pull it off as the day warms.

Enjoying another great trip report.  It is 50 out in socal already driving home tonight could see the rain clouds gathering