Late flight issue

ILLINOISGUY1967

On 11/30/2022 at 12:27 PM, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

yes, I didn't know it until the issue came up, but apparently I do have transfers included from the airport.  So if all goes according to plan, we should be fine.  I am probably being overly worried.  It is just because we are meeting our kids for our 30th anniversary cruise, they will all arrive before us so I know it would be devastating for my wife if our flight is delayed 3-4 hours and we don't make it while the kids are already boarded.  Not much I can do at this point other than hope all goes as planned.  

If just you and your wife, I would keep checking flights and book what you want a day or two prior for piece of mind. 

Is RT a possibility. Just say you need to drive for personal reasons. 

Edited by js

On 11/30/2022 at 11:11 AM, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

Yes, we did book through Norwegian.  So that makes me feel a little better.  I may still bite the bullet and just book an earlier flight on my own to make sure we get there and enjoy one night in New Orleans.  We will see though.  

If I were you and I'm not I would seriously consider booking my own flights and just chalk this up as a learning experience.  

Ask if the calls are recorded - and ask them to review. I would escalate this up a chain if you can. Ask for corporate. I just read a nightmare story of people missing the boat with a small flight delay and they lost the entire trip even though they had insurance - only ended up covering $500 bc they didn't bother to catch up with the boat bc they would have missed the first few days anyway. Awful. Also try calling the airline and ask if you can pay a fee to change flight to day prior. Beg them 🙂

Edited by schildiams

55 minutes ago, schildiams said:

Ask if the calls are recorded - and ask them to review. I would escalate this up a chain if you can. Ask for corporate. I just read a nightmare story of people missing the boat with a small flight delay and they lost the entire trip even though they had insurance - only ended up covering $500 bc they didn't bother to catch up with the boat bc they would have missed the first few days anyway. Awful. Also try calling the airline and ask if you can pay a fee to change flight to day prior. Beg them 🙂

It was not a small flight delay; it was 8.5 hours.

The air bookings with NCL can be a headache for sure.  You have to meticulously go over the confirms as soon as you receive.  My initial booking confirmation I had to call and have them add all our middle names so it matches our passports.  I then got confirmation for my 2 reservations and it had my wife and son on a 1 day arrival deviation and my other son and myself on a 2 day arrival deviation.  Another call to get that all sorted so we all arrived 2 days early.  I asked if we would be all on the same flight and NCL response....we can't guarantee that.  Thankfully we are on the same flight.

We lucked out and got direct flights there and back out of Detroit.  Only kicker is our return flight doesn't leave Miami until 7:20pm but whatever!!! 🙂

These people should give presentation on how not to do customer service.  So I was now told if I cancel my flight out, they will cancel my return flight automatically since I didn't show.  But they were nice enough to offer me the option to pay for my own flight to New Orleans, as long as I pay them $300 cancellation fee on top of the cost to book a new flight.  I had to ask three different people 3 times to confirm that as I could not believe what they were telling me.  So I moved on to the supervisor... her answer (and I wrote this down as a quote)  "You don't even know there will be a problem.  You are frustrated over something that may never happen.. for all you know the ship could get hit by a meteor too".  At that point I just said there is no reason to talk about it anymore and ended the conversation.

FYI-the did not have any calls recorded-they said

We have just decided to take the chance.  It is a 7 day cruise, my wife and I are just accepting that we may have to catch up to the boat at the first port.  Not worth the stress and frustration this is causing.  But I am definitely going to look for every review sight and message board I can find to tell people my story with their service.

39 minutes ago, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

These people should give presentation on how not to do customer service.  So I was now told if I cancel my flight out, they will cancel my return flight automatically since I didn't show.  But they were nice enough to offer me the option to pay for my own flight to New Orleans, as long as I pay them $300 cancellation fee on top of the cost to book a new flight.  I had to ask three different people 3 times to confirm that as I could not believe what they were telling me.  So I moved on to the supervisor... her answer (and I wrote this down as a quote)  "You don't even know there will be a problem.  You are frustrated over something that may never happen.. for all you know the ship could get hit by a meteor too".  At that point I just said there is no reason to talk about it anymore and ended the conversation.

We have just decided to take the chance.  It is a 7 day cruise, my wife and I are just accepting that we may have to catch up to the boat at the first port.  Not worth the stress and frustration this is causing.  But I am definitely going to look for every review sight and message board I can find to tell people my story with their service.

I don't understand why you are talking to NCL about canceling that outbound flight. 

You said upthread you were on two different airlines.  So there is zero risk of your return flight be cancelled if you no-show the outbound.  Just don't show up - it's no different than if you got stuck in traffic, you lose that ticket.  No reason to say anything to NCL, they will never know and they really have no reason to care.   Buy yourself an outbound flight that gives you peace of mind and fly on that ticket.   Your return will be the NCL purchased ticket. 

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, PATRLR said:

I don't understand why you are talking to NCL about canceling that outbound flight. 

You said upthread you were on two different airlines.  So there is zero risk of your return flight be cancelled if you no-show the outbound.  Just don't show up - it's no different than if you got stuck in traffic, you lose that ticket.  No reason to say anything to NCL, they will never know and they really have no reason to care.   Buy yourself an outbound flight that gives you peace of mind and fly on that ticket.   Your return will be the NCL purchased ticket. 

And you don't think that the airline might follow up with NCL about the missing passengers for any reason?  I would not take that chance.

31 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

And you don't think that the airline might follow up with NCL about the missing passengers for any reason?  I would not take that chance.

Absolutely not, why would they?  If you got stuck in traffic, delayed and missed your flight, does the airline call you to ask what happened?  I've missed more flights than I can count and no one ever followed dup with me or anyone else.   They really don't care, unless it's part of a multi flight ticket in which case they will cancel the subsequent legs.  

I wouldn't hesitate to do what I suggested.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

Oh, I wish I could give that supervisor a hug! That's the best customer service story I've heard in a long time. 

It's a hard way to learn, but you've now learned that BOGO air is truly "you get what you pay for." It works for those that are ok with whatever flight they get. It doesn't work for those that want to control their flights, times, etc. For that, you need premium air service through NCL, or book your own flight. 

As the supervisor told you, stop stressing. You'll be ok. 

15 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Absolutely not, why would they?  If you got stuck in traffic, delayed and missed your flight, does the airline call you to ask what happened?  I've missed more flights than I can count and no one ever followed dup with me or anyone else.   They really don't care, unless it's part of a multi flight ticket in which case they will cancel the subsequent legs.  

I wouldn't hesitate to do what I suggested.  

Why would they?  Here are some reasons that come to mind:

1. The airline follows up with NCL to scold them for booking passengers who no-show.

2. The contract that NCL has with the airlines has penalty clauses for NCL in the case of no-shows.

No-shows are lost revenue for the airlines so you'd better believe they care; they just can't do much about it for the individual traveler.  Cruise air is big business, though, so I would not be surprised if they go to extra lengths to protect that revenue.

Would this all happen in time for NCL to cancel the return flight?  Maybe not, but I don't think it is an impossible scenario.

Just now, Karaboudjan said:

No-shows are lost revenue for the airlines so you'd better believe they care;

How are they lost revenue?  These are non refundable fares, the airlines aren't losing anything and probably filling the seats with standbys after the ticketed passenger doesn't check-in in a timely manner.  

4 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

The airline follows up with NCL to scold them for booking passengers who no-show.

You really think the airlines have time for such things?  Wow.

2 minutes ago, Karaboudjan said:

The contract that NCL has with the airlines has penalty clauses for NCL in the case of no-shows.

If they were issuing refundble tickets, I suppose the airlines might have some interest in penalizing NCL for no-shows.  Maybe.  It's a stretch, IMO.  But they aren't refundable tickets.  The penalty for no-shows is the airline gets to keep the money for that ticket.

while the free flight offer, in and of itself, sounds like a great deal, we leave out of lax, and there is always an extra charge leaving from los angeles. while technically it's still cheaper, reading all the horror stories, (and of course to be on the safe side) i will always book my own flight reservations.  that way, i can personally pick the time, seats and arrival at port city date.

also to avoid any unforseen delays, we usually book getting to the port city a few days prior to sailing. it takes away a great deal of traveling stress, and its a terrific way to city the port city. (especially if you're leaving from a foreign port). Heck, if youre going that far, why not spend a few days sightseeing?

we've been fortunate to be able to visit multiple foreign cities for a few days before getting on the ship

just imagine leaving from southampton, and not seeing london for  few days, or from trieste and not visiting venice. the list goes on and on.

so, do yourself and your traveling companions a favor, and book on your own flights

other than a "gee, im awfully sorry"  (and most time, not even that),  ncl takes no responsibility if there are flight delays or missed flights or connections, and you certainly don't get your money back.  airlines don't lose money, the seats are already paid for, and most of them are non-refundable, consequently if your butt isnt in the seat when the plane takes off, you lose!

we were fortunate enough to start cruising again after covid and flew in april, july, aug, and nov, and believe me, all the planes were packed

21 hours ago, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

But I am definitely going to look for every review sight and message board I can find to tell people my story with their service.

Save yourself the trouble.

Experience travelers will just shake their heads at the angst. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 1:08 PM, ILLINOISGUY1967 said:

Thanks for the input PSMoove. Sounds like we may meet up at the airport or port probably running with our bags to make it in time!.  If all goes according to plan for both of us I definitely think a celebratory drink is called for.  And if we don't make it, well we may as well get drunk together in New Orleans that night!!!

I sure hope you made it IllinoisGuy!  I’m on the ship right now enjoying a dinner at Moderno.  It was an adventure getting here for sure!  I’m the guy with the UCLA sweatshirt. 😉

27 minutes ago, RD64 said:

If you do not take the original outbound flight, the return flight automatically cancels. This is an airline thing plane and simple. No exceptions.

I wonder if it was booked as a return ticket or two one ways in his case since he said it was American down and United back...either way, it's the 23rd, so he's either made the ship or not by now.

33 minutes ago, dolfan1980 said:

I wonder if it was booked as a return ticket or two one ways in his case since he said it was American down and United back...either way, it's the 23rd, so he's either made the ship or not by now.

That is a very good point - may be on two separate tickets.

3 hours ago, psmoove said:

I sure hope you made it IllinoisGuy!  I’m on the ship right now enjoying a dinner at Moderno.  It was an adventure getting here for sure!  I’m the guy with the UCLA sweatshirt. 😉

It isn’t looking good unless they paid to get there early. The ORD-MSY arriving at 12:30p was canceled for his date of travel. I made the assumption it was direct but could be wrong there. Either way- lots of canceled flights. I’m sure they’re working on a backup plan!