Play Station Hooked up to TV

Funw/Sean

We are regular cruisers who are looking to our first cruise back since Covid shut us down!

We are cruising on both the Sunshine and the Spirit during the Christmas Holidays.

Can my kids hook up their play station to the TV in the room?  They have  usually used their handhelds but want to play on the big screen!

Thanks in advance for your help.

The answer is most likely ___NO!  Most of the connections had been disabled.  Plus if it's the flat screen TV, they are mounted too close to the wall to easily access.

There are threads here and some techies around that can beg to differ and give lessons.

@mz-s  "Big screen" is any TV vs a hand held Play Station.

Thanks for your replies, we have actually been on the Sunshine and quite a bit of Carnival ships but yeah I can't really remember what the tv's look like.... never really watched TV... thanks for your responses... much appreciated.  Guess they want to drive the kids to the arcade.. to which I have heavily "donated" in the past

2 minutes ago, Funw/Sean said:

Thanks for your replies, we have actually been on the Sunshine and quite a bit of Carnival ships but yeah I can't really remember what the tv's look like.... never really watched TV... thanks for your responses... much appreciated.  Guess they want to drive the kids to the arcade.. to which I have heavily "donated" in the past

You can hook up a playstation, just bring an HDMI cable and plug it in then use the buttons on the back of the TV to change inputs. They don’t lock out anything, the in-cabin remote just won’t change inputs. You have to do it the old fashioned way.

9 minutes ago, mz-s said:

You can hook up a playstation, just bring an HDMI cable and plug it in then use the buttons on the back of the TV to change inputs. They don’t lock out anything, the in-cabin remote just won’t change inputs. You have to do it the old fashioned way.

From Carnival's FAQs:

Connecting Personal Devices to Stateroom TV's

Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

43 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I recall on older ships you could easily see behind the TV and locate these. But new ships the TV is butted up against the wall.  Whether that's the case on the Sunshine or Spirit these days, I can't opine.

20 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I recall on older ships you could easily see behind the TV and locate these. But new ships the TV is butted up against the wall.  Whether that's the case on the Sunshine or Spirit these days, I can't opine.

I have not stayed in any of the rooms they added to Sunshine during the Destiny transformation, nor in the suites so those might be different. But the other rooms I'm familiar with it won't be a problem.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I recall on older ships you could easily see behind the TV and locate these. But new ships the TV is butted up against the wall.  

A great deal of passengers don't know this, but MANY cruise ship televisions pull away from the wall 2 to 3 inches for viewing angle purposes. Often it takes a tug to unsnap & you have to know which side to pull. Whenever I am hesitant to pull, I always ask my stateroom steward which side to pull or I ask if the tv pulls away from the wall at all. Most, not all, stateroom televisions do. Its just that most passengers wouldn't or don't think of it.

• Like 1

I could manage it , but imagine the person before you breaking Carnival's policy about TVs. They switch inputs , don't switch things back then you have to call workers to fix it for you.

Stop breaking the rules . keep the PS addicted kids home or learn to tell them no. /s

• Like 2

6 hours ago, staceyglow said:

From Carnival's FAQs:

Connecting Personal Devices to Stateroom TV's
Guests are not permitted to connect Digital Cameras/Camcorders, DVDs/VCRs, USB sticks, iPods, Nintendo/X-Box Play units with the television in the staterooms; all connection ports are disabled.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2789/~/stateroom-television-programming you will see this text: 

This post is completely accurate from the FAQ page on Carnivals website. I included the link above.

As a huge Playstation fan and the father of a Playstation fan, I really suggest not to bring it.  First off, depending on the generation you are bringing it is hard to replace if something happens.  Having your system break on a cruise is not a fun thing to go though.  Second, due to the power they don't even let you bring your own hair dryer.  Why do you think they will not stop you from plugging in a Playstation.  And just because you can plug it in does not mean you should.  Third, and maybe most importantly, it is so much more fun to be away from the Playstation for a bit.  My family, maybe like yours, cruise a lot so we love to find out new things to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caps_Shield said:

As a huge Playstation fan and the father of a Playstation fan, I really suggest not to bring it.  First off, depending on the generation you are bringing it is hard to replace if something happens.  Having your system break on a cruise is not a fun thing to go though.  Second, due to the power they don't even let you bring your own hair dryer.  Why do you think they will not stop you from plugging in a Playstation.  And just because you can plug it in does not mean you should.  Third, and maybe most importantly, it is so much more fun to be away from the Playstation for a bit.  My family, maybe like yours, cruise a lot so we love to find out new things to do.

I am not sure who told you that, but it's 100% incorrect. You're allowed to take your own hair dryer. My wife has taken hers every cruise.  It's even stated on Carnivals website that it's allowed. 

temp.png

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 2:40 PM, ObstructedView2 said:

A great deal of passengers don't know this, but MANY cruise ship televisions pull away from the wall 2 to 3 inches for viewing angle purposes. Often it takes a tug to unsnap & you have to know which side to pull. Whenever I am hesitant to pull, I always ask my stateroom steward which side to pull or I ask if the tv pulls away from the wall at all. Most, not all, stateroom televisions do. Its just that most passengers wouldn't or don't think of it.

Absolutely NOT the case on MardiGras and Celebration and subsequent Excel Class ships. 

On 11/30/2022 at 2:13 PM, crewsweeper said:

in our balcony cabin on the Sunshine un September, the TV was mounted tight to the wall.

I was shocked at how ancient the first generation (affordable) flat screen TVs look today.

Our TV had to be at least a decade old. (probably more like 15)

I have never understood why people want to sit in the room and watch movies, play on the playstation, etc. you are on a cruise, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the poolside, go to some activity on the ship. You can watch movies and play Playstation at home. I guess to each their own…

On another note, imagine you are the neighbor to a room with kids playing playstation while you are trying to sleep!! I’d be ticked! The room walls in some ships are like cardboard anyway, rowdy kids in the room would simply make things worse. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruisinpips said:

I have never understood why people want to sit in the room and watch movies, play on the playstation, etc. you are on a cruise, enjoy the scenery, enjoy the poolside, go to some activity on the ship. You can watch movies and play Playstation at home. I guess to each their own…

On another note, imagine you are the neighbor to a room with kids playing playstation while you are trying to sleep!! I’d be ticked! The room walls in some ships are like cardboard anyway, rowdy kids in the room would simply make things worse. 

I feel the same way about the people who read. Why go on a vacation to sit there and read? You could read at home. As far as the games, the TV has the same volume whether it's playing a movie or a video game. TVs aren't louder just because a console is hooked to it. Bottom line, everyone vacations and enjoys life differently. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I feel the same way about the people who read. Why go on a vacation to sit there and read? You could read at home. As far as the games, the TV has the same volume whether it's playing a movie or a video game. TVs aren't louder just because a console is hooked to it. Bottom line, everyone vacations and enjoys life differently. 

Reading on a lounger is relaxing and stress reduction for many.  Likewise doing puzzles.  These activities aren't noisy.  But would somewhat agree if a person is reading while sitting a a venue with a show.  But the last thing I want to do on a cruise is lounge around and watch ejits  and kiddos flop about in the pools or crowd into the spas.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I can't read lying in a Serenity clamshell or on a beautiful beach at home.  

29 minutes ago, teknoge3k said:

I feel the same way about the people who read. Why go on a vacation to sit there and read? You could read at home.

I generally don't read while on a cruise, we're too busy goofing off, and if we have some down time, we'll snooze a bit in Serenity.

But...I cannot read at home, generally.  My home life is quite jam packed with other activities - that work thing that takes up generally 10 hrs a day, and weekends full of house and yard work, and that's on top of our other "side jobs" / hobbies.  I generally read my books the most while flying to/from somewhere.

• Like 3