Your Butler Experiences

Robroy

39 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

If you take the Butler out of the equation, the Penthouse is a Concierge Level which is quite nice for far less money.

No, not really on Oceania Gary, surely you've checked the sqft. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ORV said:

No, not really on Oceania Gary, surely you've checked the sqft. 

@ORV Your right, I should have qualified it.  More SF is a true value.  One would have to determine if it is enough of a benefit if you take the Butler out of the equation. That is up to every guest.  Sorry, sloppy writing on my part.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

When most people cruise and they pay the big premium for a Penthouse, the biggest amenity they receive is their butler.  If you take the Butler out of the equation, the Penthouse is a Concierge Level which is quite nice for far less money.

Not quite:

The size of a PH stateroom on an O-Ship is 114 sq ft larger than a Concierge Veranda stateroom, and the balcony is 34 sq ft larger.  On an R-ship. the PH stateroom is 99 sq ft larger than a Concierge Veranda and the balcony is 7 sq ft Larger. (actual difference may vary by 1 or 2 sq ft, depending on the source.)

The PH  on an O-ship gets one more advance restaurant reservation at each specialty than a Concierge Veranda on an 18-day or longer cruise.  They are the same on an R-ship.

On both ships, a PH can make dinner reservations 75 days in advance, while the Concierge Veranda 60 days in advance.

Course-by-course dining from the GDR and the specialties can be served in a PH stateroom, and not in Concierge level staterooms.

So if any of these differences are important to the guest, there is more to a PH  than just a Butler. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 5

On 8/26/2023 at 3:49 PM, Sthrngary said:

@Tr1v1alCru1ser If I told you this is not the first time I heard a story like this.  Just with all my reading, rarely on the Oceania Cruise Board.  I am so sorry this happened to you.  Great butlers can make a cruise even better.  I think you would agree with that.  Not on Oceania but on other ships my butlers were Hit/Miss.  About 7 years ago I got the idea of creating a butler letter.  

In the document was a little history of my wife and myself, likes/dislikes, minor requests like coffee in the morning at a specific time.  Nothing to over the top.  I would then explain how awful it must have been during the Covid-19 shut down.  I would do something then that I have gotten more heat on then anything I have ever said.  I would put their entire tip in the envelop with the butler letter.

From that day forward, my butlers have been outstanding.  They have shared how much they appreciated the information and it made their job easier. We actually became friends with some that we keep in contact with to this day.  Some folks on social media love the idea, others hate it and the early tip gets lively debates.  All I care about is having an enhanced experience and if I can assist that along I will.  I can't control the weather, delay's or missed ports.  I can control the early communication in writing with my Butler. 

We followed your lead on a "Butler Notes", after reading one of your earlier posts and I must say that is a hit with every Butler since then. They appreciate knowing exactly what our preferences are and the timing and they don't have to stand there and take notes themselves. Great idea, Gary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On our recent Copenhagen to Tromso cruise (Fjords) on Marina (our first time on the larger ship, which we loved), our PH butler, Titus, was really good.  He got us 3 add’l specialty restaurant reservations (we didn’t care which or if we were sharing a table which I think made it easier).  Always phoned just before delivering our room service Breakfasts (on days we had early excursions or on disembarkation day).  Was pleasant without being annoying.  We mostly enjoyed the butler service on all of our Oceania cruises, but Titus hit it out of the park!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have had butlers on both Regent and Oceania (in fact we won't sail without one!)  With one exception (on Regent Voyager) they have all been terrific.  Our three butlers on Oceania were the best of all of them.   We book large suites - smallest we have had is the Oceania suite and for that cruise we had the inimitable Churchill.  We don't ask the butler to make special drinks nor to bring us espresso or whatever.  We DO, regularly, ask him to get us dinner from Red Ginger and Polo and sometimes the GDR.  And we have enjoyed every one of the dinners.  We also send laundry several times during the cruise and (before Covid anyway) the butler had it back to us same day with no extra charge.  I don't know if that has changed.  They were all able to get us additional seatings in Red Ginger and Polo when we asked for them.   

We are very happy with the butler service!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Hambagahle said:

We have had butlers on both Regent and Oceania (in fact we won't sail without one!)  With one exception (on Regent Voyager) they have all been terrific.  Our three butlers on Oceania were the best of all of them.   We book large suites - smallest we have had is the Oceania suite and for that cruise we had the inimitable Churchill.  We don't ask the butler to make special drinks nor to bring us espresso or whatever.  We DO, regularly, ask him to get us dinner from Red Ginger and Polo and sometimes the GDR.  And we have enjoyed every one of the dinners.  We also send laundry several times during the cruise and (before Covid anyway) the butler had it back to us same day with no extra charge.  I don't know if that has changed.  They were all able to get us additional seatings in Red Ginger and Polo when we asked for them.   

We are very happy with the butler service!

Speaking of Oceania, we had Head Butler, Himhit. On Crystal Serenity (before COVID), we had Head Butler Rao. They both stand out as being simply awesome. We will never cruise without a butler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a butler on our 2021 transatlantic (Rome to Miami) for the first time and we were unsure what to use him for initially.  But this gentleman (from India) was a jewel.  He was perfectly friendly and quickly caught onto our habits and anticipated us.  He brought us ice and canapés about 2 hours before dinner.  
I was chatting with him about living in Pakistan when I was around 8 (Navy family) in the 60s and it turned out he had family from that area but many decades later, haha.  I also asked him how I could get a *good* cup of hot chocolate!  I had tried twice and first got hot milk that was vaguely chocolate from a confused buffet server.  Then in the MDR for breakfast I ended up with water based very chocolatey drink and served about an ounce of cream on the side. Nope, not what I wanted at all so I was getting confused.  The butler and I talked a bit about how I wanted a whole milk, very hot, very chocolatey drink.  Whipped cream on top is nice but not required.  (Princess does it exactly the way I prefer but I didn’t say that).  He said “leave it to me”.  The next morning he came with our in cabin breakfast and a silver pitcher of the perfect hot chocolate, better than Princess!  He said he went to the kitchen and told them how to make it “right”.  He said to just ask him and he will arrange it for me.  Best ever service on any cruise!  And a very sweet man.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, TodayIsAGoodDayForACruise said:

We had a butler on our 2021 transatlantic (Rome to Miami) for the first time and we were unsure what to use him for initially.  But this gentleman (from India) was a jewel.  He was perfectly friendly and quickly caught onto our habits and anticipated us.  He brought us ice and canapés about 2 hours before dinner.  
I was chatting with him about living in Pakistan when I was around 8 (Navy family) in the 60s and it turned out he had family from that area but many decades later, haha.  I also asked him how I could get a *good* cup of hot chocolate!  I had tried twice and first got hot milk that was vaguely chocolate from a confused buffet server.  Then in the MDR for breakfast I ended up with water based very chocolatey drink and served about an ounce of cream on the side. Nope, not what I wanted at all so I was getting confused.  The butler and I talked a bit about how I wanted a whole milk, very hot, very chocolatey drink.  Whipped cream on top is nice but not required.  (Princess does it exactly the way I prefer but I didn’t say that).  He said “leave it to me”.  The next morning he came with our in cabin breakfast and a silver pitcher of the perfect hot chocolate, better than Princess!  He said he went to the kitchen and told them how to make it “right”.  He said to just ask him and he will arrange it for me.  Best ever service on any cruise!  And a very sweet man.

@TodayIsAGoodDayForACruise You in your post said it so well however I think some folks are going to miss it.  I have posted numerous detailed information posting on this subject.  However, it is kind of like a Owners Manual for a Car.  Page 45 in the manual says, the vehicle has "X".  Nice to know but what I don't know is how to use "X" to enhance my driving experience.  One owner would use "X" this way, another that way.  Everyone would use "X" to suit their personal needs.  Some would never use "X" making it a waste of time and money.  The key to "X" is enhancement of the experience.

The "X" in cruising is the butler. Your post established a need, some would say an insignificant need.  I would say based on how it made you feel, a very significant need.  Your butler listed to you, heard you, qualified your requests.  That request was personal to you.  Not me or anyone else.  This took skill on the Butlers part.  I call the the "Crystal Ball Effect".  A great butler has to look into their Crystal Ball to see what things "Float Your Boat".  That is the most important part of your posting and I hope everyone gets it.

This is why I do a Butler letter and have for over a decade.  It gives bio information about the guest in my stateroom, wants, needs, and love to haves.  Nothing is to over the top.  Every thing is very personal with none of the critical.  If I share these items like coffee service at 7:30 AM with a bowl of Cheerio's and banana's (example only), it shall happen.  If my butler has to figure this out for themselves  it won't start happening until mid-cruise.  So I help the butler with data so they can focus on service.  

Thank you for you wonderful post.  Excelent.

• Like 4

I'm on the Insignia now in an Owners Suite. Unpacking the first night I found a personalized welcome letter inviting me to have an in-suite lunch and the menu, in a dark folder buried inside the credenza/bar under the TV, with personalized stationery (bottom shelf in the back).   An oversight or a butler who didn't want to be bothered getting lunch? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I'm on the Insignia now in an Owners Suite. Unpacking the first night I found a personalized welcome letter inviting me to have an in-suite lunch and the menu, in a dark folder buried inside the credenza/bar under the TV, with personalized stationery (bottom shelf in the back).   An oversight or a butler who didn't want to be bothered getting lunch? 

We had the exact same thing happen to us in the Owners Suite on Riviera. Not knowing anything different, we went to the buffet and it was a madhouse. In our case the letter was an invitation to have a sit down lunch in the main dining room, which we would have appreciated a lot more. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, InsGuy3 said:

We had the exact same thing happen to us in the Owners Suite on Riviera. Not knowing anything different, we went to the buffet and it was a madhouse. In our case the letter was an invitation to have a sit down lunch in the main dining room, which we would have appreciated a lot more. 

Not sure if I missed something....but I was under the impression that the Dining Room was not open for lunch on embarkation day?  And maybe the cabin stewards are the one to "place" these letters/menus in the cabins?  As I cannot imagine a Butler wanting to start out on such a sour note.....?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

Not sure if I missed something....but I was under the impression that the Dining Room was not open for lunch on embarkation day?  And maybe the cabin stewards are the one to "place" these letters/menus in the cabins?  As I cannot imagine a Butler wanting to start out on such a sour note.....?

They are generally closed to the general public, but those on B2B and apparently some upper suites can dine there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ORV said:

They are generally closed to the general public, but those on B2B and apparently some upper suites can dine there. 

Good to know!  As we have been on 8-10 B2B's.....and always book Vista Suites.....so not sure how we missed this on so many opportunities.....will def inquire next week.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, chloemonkey said:

Good to know!  As we have been on 8-10 B2B's.....and always book Vista Suites.....so not sure how we missed this on so many opportunities.....will def inquire next week.

We got  a letter in the  documents  for turnaround  day  on B2B  I guess  top suites  get the invite as  well

It is usually RSVP

We usually  go ashore  never  used  the invite

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

We got  a letter in the  documents  for turnaround  day  on B2B  I guess  top suites  get the invite as  well

It is usually RSVP

Now

1 minute ago, LHT28 said:

It is usually RSVP

Now that you mention going ashore.....that is probably why WE also never took advantage!  Old age and memory fades are "REAL!  Thanks for that input.

• Like 2

Here are some of my butler disappointments, other than the hidden invitation:

Breakfast is always early and both hot and cold food are delivered at room temperature, I've not once received a call before he delivers (he rings once and uses his key to immediately enter) despite me sleeping on a rollaway bed facing the door (senior mom in bedroom), he pressured me to order all of the wine at the first meeting and then said everything had to be delivered to either room or dining room - I couldn't split it up; ignores request for diet Coke and water: as advertised laundry took 3 days (10 pieces), I asked him when the latest I could get disembarkation room service breakfast and he said 6:30, but I just found hidden card and it says 7:30 to 8 (he did say we had to be out by 8).  Never a smile or a warm word or a what are you doing today (I asked him on port day).  Funny thing: randomly he delivered chips, pretzels and nuts, and after a lousy dinner I was so happy to devour the chips.  I told him that he came to my rescue with those chips and thanked him. Never got them again. 

I've had lousy butler service before on other lines, but I think this is the worst.  

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did you speak to the GM about this butler ?

Nope. I wrote the GM a letter with a special request (a lounge chair for balcony - we are 3, my sister in another cabin).  Housekeeping turned me down,  guest relations turned me down. So I wrote GM a letter (mentioned all of the saved but empty chairs at pool deck and the sewer smell on deck 5 - someone mentioned it here a few weeks ago, it persists).  I also mentioned in my letter that my brother was in the same hospitality program that he was in. Anyway,  no response to my letter on my "found " stationery,  but 24 hours later a visibly BROKEN (dangerous) chair was delivered. That was replaced on request. 

I did truthfully answer the survey, and things got worse. My mistake. There's only so many things I'm going to fight for on vacation. 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Did you speak to the GM about this butler ?

Quite right, LH. I would definitively communicate my dissatisfaction. 

We cruise primarily for quality of service and esthetically pleasant surroundings, as it is very important to our relaxation. A beautiful ship and flawless service will more than make up for so-so food, a weak wine list, and even a boring itinerary.

Accordingly, we prepare printed service requests beforehand and go over things with the applicable service professionals at the earliest opportunity. This has always worked quite well for us.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

Nope. I wrote the GM a letter with a special request (a lounge chair for balcony - we are 3, my sister in another cabin).  Housekeeping turned me down,  guest relations turned me down. So I wrote GM a letter (mentioned all of the saved but empty chairs at pool deck and the sewer smell on deck 5 - someone mentioned it here a few weeks ago, it persists).  I also mentioned in my letter that my brother was in the same hospitality program that he was in. Anyway,  no response to my letter on my "found " stationery,  but 24 hours later a visibly BROKEN (dangerous) chair was delivered. That was replaced on request. 

I did truthfully answer the survey, and things got worse. My mistake. There's only so many things I'm going to fight for on vacation. 

Yikes

Who was the GM?

They should respond to you no matter what the complaint is

12 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yikes

Who was the GM?

They should respond to you no matter what the complaint is

Claudio Melli. I received a voice-mail from him on boarding,  where he mentioned my name, welcomed us and invited me to let him know if I needed anything.   

Edited by JFontaine
  • Thanks 1