Your Butler Experiences

Robroy

On 12/1/2022 at 5:37 PM, Sthrngary said:

That would be great and would double the cost for sure.  Thanks for the feedback.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.  

Hi, Gary, I believe we were on the same Crystal cruise in the Bahamas in Aug 2021. We never met on that cruise but I vividly remember your detailed blog daily during that cruise. Hope you’re doing well.

38 minutes ago, godfreyb said:

On the Riviera in July we had a terrible butler.  Just off the Marina and we had an excellent butler who looked after us.  They were each tipped accordingly. One grimaced and the other smiled warmly and shook my hand.

I would  not have tipped extra  if he was terrible  the basic  tip would be all he got

JMO

• Like 3

We were told that $7 per person from the top suites gratuities goes to the butler.

Had 2 butlers on OceaniaPenthouse one was brilliant, OC not so much.Extra tips accordingly.

Never had gratuities paid for us.Pay it ourselves and although we Brits have reputation of not tipping (another members opinion), we actually do.Very happy with the service all over the ships.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/4/2022 at 4:12 PM, InsGuy3 said:

Hi, Gary, I believe we were on the same Crystal cruise in the Bahamas in Aug 2021. We never met on that cruise but I vividly remember your detailed blog daily during that cruise. Hope you’re doing well.

Thank you. Things are great. I hope the same is for you.

• Like 1

On 12/8/2022 at 11:50 AM, JeffElizabeth said:

We loved our butler Francis. He was fun and always available.  

We’ve had butlers and loved each one but one. This one seem to want to linger and chat after he brought our meals…..and we wanted to dig in right away. We almost adopted a butler from Regent. He was just out of this world in terms of his service and performance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/6/2022 at 4:36 AM, janecambridge said:

We were told that $7 per person from the top suites gratuities goes to the butler.

Had 2 butlers on OceaniaPenthouse one was brilliant, OC not so much.Extra tips accordingly.

Never had gratuities paid for us.Pay it ourselves and although we Brits have reputation of not tipping (another members opinion), we actually do.Very happy with the service all over the ships.

Good for you! I was in London in September and everyone looked shocked at my tips. (Maybe because I dress like a slob?) Or had the exchange rate wrong? 

• 8 months later...
10 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Is there a list of the canapes available in Suites?

Yes. We tried two of them and found them not very pleasant, so didn't order any more.

I think they were the only things we used the butler for (plus getting an ice bucket one evening). 

53 minutes ago, Harters said:

Yes. We tried two of them and found them not very pleasant, so didn't order any more.

I think they were the only things we used the butler for (plus getting an ice bucket one evening). 

We have never enjoyed any of the canapes on any cruise line. I thought someone mentioned that a menu available to select from to request your choice(s)from the butler.  The ones on regent were disappointing. This is our first O cruise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

We have never enjoyed any of the canapes on any cruise line. I thought someone mentioned that a menu available to select from to request your choice(s)from the butler.  The ones on regent were disappointing. This is our first O cruise.

Loved our butler on Sirena just befire Covid closure 

10 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

@SATaxman Remember this is my first time on Oceania also so I am not an expert.  I read somewhere that Oceania has updated/upgraded the afternoon canapes.  I also asked for the menu and could not gain it.  I do have all the specialty restaurant menu's which is not what you asked for.  However happy to share. 

23 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Once onboard  ask your Butler  for the menu  if not already in your  Suite

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@SATaxman Remember this is my first time on Oceania also so I am not an expert.  I read somewhere that Oceania has updated/upgraded the afternoon canapes.  I also asked for the menu and could not gain it.  I do have all the specialty restaurant menu's which is not what you asked for.  However happy to share. 

The restaurant menus are on the website. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Always had good experiences with the Butlers until our last cruise.  We sailed Singapore to Sydney last Nov/Dec.  We had the head butler, who really couldn’t be bothered.  We only really ask one thing of our butlers, and that’s to bring us tea in the morning.  I think there was only one occasion when he actually came at the time we asked him to, other times, he came when he felt like it.  Unfortunately, my husband got Covid on board, so was quarantined for 7 days, during which time he had to eat in the cabin.  One day he waited over an hour and a half to get a pizza delivered.

We asked if we could have breakfast in our cabin on disembarkation, and were told by him, “No, just coffee and pastries”.  This was blatantly not true, as we’d always done it, and in fact, on getting back to the cabin, the Disembarkation Breakfast slip was just the same as every day, and included everything.

He asked us to lie on the survey, and say he’d done everything for us, as he got a point for everything we ticked.  We naturally refused and didn’t even bother to fill in the survey.

12 minutes ago, Tr1v1alCru1ser said:

Always had good experiences with the Butlers until our last cruise.  We sailed Singapore to Sydney last Nov/Dec.  We had the head butler, who really couldn’t be bothered.  We only really ask one thing of our butlers, and that’s to bring us tea in the morning.  I think there was only one occasion when he actually came at the time we asked him to, other times, he came when he felt like it.  Unfortunately, my husband got Covid on board, so was quarantined for 7 days, during which time he had to eat in the cabin.  One day he waited over an hour and a half to get a pizza delivered.

We asked if we could have breakfast in our cabin on disembarkation, and were told by him, “No, just coffee and pastries”.  This was blatantly not true, as we’d always done it, and in fact, on getting back to the cabin, the Disembarkation Breakfast slip was just the same as every day, and included everything.

He asked us to lie on the survey, and say he’d done everything for us, as he got a point for everything we ticked.  We naturally refused and didn’t even bother to fill in the survey.

@Tr1v1alCru1ser If I told you this is not the first time I heard a story like this.  Just with all my reading, rarely on the Oceania Cruise Board.  I am so sorry this happened to you.  Great butlers can make a cruise even better.  I think you would agree with that.  Not on Oceania but on other ships my butlers were Hit/Miss.  About 7 years ago I got the idea of creating a butler letter.  

In the document was a little history of my wife and myself, likes/dislikes, minor requests like coffee in the morning at a specific time.  Nothing to over the top.  I would then explain how awful it must have been during the Covid-19 shut down.  I would do something then that I have gotten more heat on then anything I have ever said.  I would put their entire tip in the envelop with the butler letter.

From that day forward, my butlers have been outstanding.  They have shared how much they appreciated the information and it made their job easier. We actually became friends with some that we keep in contact with to this day.  Some folks on social media love the idea, others hate it and the early tip gets lively debates.  All I care about is having an enhanced experience and if I can assist that along I will.  I can't control the weather, delay's or missed ports.  I can control the early communication in writing with my Butler. 

• Like 3

That was our 19th cruise with Oceania, and the only time we’ve encountered that couldn’t care less attitude. All of our other butlers have been friendly, helpful and would often ask if we needed anything because we were so undemanding.  The butler I had in my replacement cabin (while I had to be separated from my husband) would actually come and knock to ask if I was ready to order breakfast or dinner, a total contrast to the Head Butler.  He would even call by to ask if I was OK as he knew I was on my own. 

We sailed round Australia on Regatta this last January.  We were in a PH1 cabin.

Our butler introduced himself and my wife asked about Low Carb options in the bread arena.  The butler got us in contact with the head chef.  The head chef suggested almond flour bread for us to try.  As soon as we hung with him the butler was at the door with a covered tray of a hot steaming slice.  We tried it and it was to heavy.   My wife then suggested a recipe she had but they did not have the ingredient's.   She then educated them on something called a Chaffle which is basically eggs and cheese.  The head chef made some and the butler chased around the ship looking for us.  He found us in the theater and wanted us to know they were available to try.

On another example we did the late night Penguin Parade tour on Philip Island and when we returned to our cabin at around 11PM there many plates of food ready for us including sugar free desserts and Chaffles.  We did not ask for these but he assumed we might be hungry with the evening tour and no real time for the ship restaurant meals.

• Like 2

As for the canapes...we enjoyed the chocolate covered strawberries most evenings. We tried a couple options as well and enjoyed most of them. 

Our butler was wonderful. Stopped in about twice a day to see if we needed anything.

He got us several restaurant reservations as well. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2023 at 4:01 PM, SATaxman said:

Each day you'll have the same menu sheet to pick 2 choices. There are like 8 choices: 4 hot and 4 cold. You can pick more than 2, and/or ask your butler for other things like potato chips, nuts, hummus, shrimp.

They changed the menu last year or so. Things I recall: fruit, veggies, chips & salsa. They are nicely done and a perfect size.

You also have afternoon tea with sweats and little sandwiches.

This thread has done discussion:

On 8/23/2023 at 5:01 PM, SATaxman said:

We have always just done cheese, crackers and nuts (small selection). But Oceania does have a much better selection than most lines.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:45 PM, Mrs f. said:

We had a butler on our last Marina cruise.  Thought he was terrible. Anything we asked, he couldn't do.   Couldn't get any extra specialty reservations.  Couldn't find my lost wine bag....which I found in 5 min after going to the lost and found. Never refilled the water and soda. Didn't ask what soda we preferred in fridge.  Not looking for a fight....JMO.  

I guess we just not used to the finer things. Will stick with my concierge 

I would have complained to Hotel Mgmt right away. Part of staying in a PH is the expectation of a butler to do certain things. If (s)he is unwilling, then I will complain right away, if after speaking to them does not work. 

37 minutes ago, Sabbycat said:

would have complained to Hotel Mgmt right away. Part of staying in a PH is the expectation of a butler to do certain things. If (s)he is unwilling, then I will complain right away, if after speaking to them does not work.

@Sabbycat My comment is directed to the person you comment too, not you.  I fully agree with you.

It seems to be a thing to complain about not getting service followed by how horrible it was.  In most but not all cases, the guest does not complain while on the ship.  Or their complaint is a survey not a real person.  Another group of people do complain and claim the leadership of that ship never took any action.  

When most people cruise and they pay the big premium for a Penthouse, the biggest amenity they receive is their butler.  If you take the Butler out of the equation, the Penthouse is a Concierge Level which is quite nice for far less money.

For the life of me, if I pay for a Butler and don't get service from them, I don't understand why folks don't take immediate action. You don't have to be mean, you just have to communicate you are unhappy and why. Why their action is to complain AFTER the fact?  People in todays day try to avoid confrontation but encourage it when they are on Social Media because no one knows who they are.  

If something is so off that you are that disappointed, take care of it then or accept it.  Don't complain when you did nothing to solve the issue.  Just my two cents.

Edited by Sthrngary
  • Like 3