Carnival Sunrise - Cancelled Cruise

jerrie limbie

Hello Carnival Cruisers,

Our 11/4/23 Carnival Sunrise cruise has been cancelled.  Apparently it has been changed to a chartered cruise.  Carnival is offering the same cruise fare and $25/pp OBC to an alternate cruise of the same length or a refund.  We are disappointed as we selected a specific type of cabin and location.  It will be hard to duplicate on another sailing with obtaining the same cabin, time of year and length of cruise.  Has anyone experienced their cruise being cancelled?  Any helpful tips you used to get something more for the inconvenience? 

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, theckenlady said:

So they offered you a refund or another boat at the same price and because you've been inconvenienced you deserve more?  SMH

Agreed, SMH

You got a year advance notice and you're guaranteed your rate, plus $25...what more do you think you deserve?

They gave you a year's notice

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EngIceDave said:

Agreed, SMH

You got a year advance notice and you're guaranteed your rate, plus $25...what more do you think you deserve?

They gave you a year's notice

I suspect they are expecting, based on the way some posters here gloat about the steal of a deal they get doing this or that, some form of "cheat sheet" on how to rack up additional offerings of OBC or hints on when the best time to rebook might be to leverage their "same fare" offer.

If they don't ask, then maybe someone would admonish them for being naïve in taking the basic offer from Carnival and not bargaining for more.

OP: is the sailing the week before or after the same itinerary?  Is it still available to book?

• Like 1

I booked an October cruise on RCL.  In April, it was cancelled for a charter.  They offered a $50pp “Goodwill credit” if we booked another cruise within 60 days, but would not honor the rate on an alternative cruise. 

We ended up booking the Miracle as a replacement.. and days later, that itinerary was cancelled with NO compensation (probably because we booked days earlier) due to the unscheduled dry dock.

We booked a 17 night cruise on Princess for Fourth of July travel, and they canceled that itinerary just weeks before sailing and after final payment had been made.  They offered us $100pp if we booked a replacement cruise within 60 days.  They did not honor the rate nor the incentive package for a similar cruise.  We spent the last several months corresponding with them, as we ended up swallowing the loss on over $2,000 in airfare.  Again, they won’t budge.

I think you’re doing pretty well…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theckenlady said:

So they offered you a refund or another boat at the same price and because you've been inconvenienced you deserve more?  SMH

We booked this cruise a year and a half before the cruise to get a direct aft cabin for a special celebration. These cabins are difficult to get as there are only a small number. Our sailing is for 5 days and a comparable cabin in our category is not available for any of the cruises around this time.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Itried4498 said:

I booked an October cruise on RCL.  In April, it was cancelled for a charter.  They offered a $50pp “Goodwill credit” if we booked another cruise within 60 days, but would not honor the rate on an alternative cruise. 

We ended up booking the Miracle as a replacement.. and days later, that itinerary was cancelled with NO compensation (probably because we booked days earlier) due to the unscheduled dry dock.

We booked a 17 night cruise on Princess for Fourth of July travel, and they canceled that itinerary just weeks before sailing and after final payment had been made.  They offered us $100pp if we booked a replacement cruise within 60 days.  They did not honor the rate nor the incentive package for a similar cruise.  We spent the last several months corresponding with them, as we ended up swallowing the loss on over $2,000 in airfare.  Again, they won’t budge.

I think you’re doing pretty well…

Sorry to hear that! Something to be mindful of when planning and booking cruises.

6 hours ago, jerrie limbie said:

Any helpful tips you used to get something more for the inconvenience? 

Thanks.

To be honest I don't believe Carnival will give you anything more than they already have offered.  You're not the only person who booked this cruise only to be disappointed, there's an entire shipload of people they have to deal with.

Find a different cruise and enjoy.

Edited by groundloop
  • Like 1

So I walk into a car dealership and put down a deposit on a specific car that I really like. A week later the dealership calls me and says “We’ve found someone who’s willing to pay more money for the car you chose (cruise lines make a LOT more money on charters), so we’re cancelling your contract, but come on in and pick out any other car on the lot for it’s listed price. Have a nice day!” 
Fair??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

So I walk into a car dealership and put down a deposit on a specific car that I really like. A week later the dealership calls me and says “We’ve found someone who’s willing to pay more money for the car you chose (cruise lines make a LOT more money on charters), so we’re cancelling your contract, but come on in and pick out any other car on the lot for it’s listed price. Have a nice day!” 
Fair??

Sounds like a certain Honda dealership that used to be near me in Maryland.  People were foolish enough to get into bidding wars for a car on the lot.

19 hours ago, jerrie limbie said:

. . . . Has anyone experienced their cruise being cancelled?  Any helpful tips you used to get something more for the inconvenience? 

Thanks.

In 20-some cruises, it's happened to us 3 times - for a charter (NCL), for a redeployment from the Caribbean to Europe (NCL), and for a drydock (Carnival).   In all cases, we got offers similar to yours, a modest amount of OBC for rebooking or a refund.   I understand your disappointment, but all the cruise lines do it, whether or not we feel it's fair.   I am sure there is language in the contracts that allows them to do this, and as long as they offer a refund for the service they aren't going to deliver, I assume they have met their legal responsibility.    

At least this far in advance, you have time to look into other options, and presumably haven't purchased non-refundable airfare or hotel stays.   

I don't have any tips for getting more that what we were offered.  We didn't try.   All you can do is call and ask, especially if you have incurred any non-refundable costs related to this cruise.   

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.  I hope you find and enjoy an alternative vacation and can book the special cabin at a different time.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

Fair??

Well yeah.. Because I can pick out a much more expensive car than I originally picked and pay the same price. I'd take that deal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pyxie said:

Well yeah.. Because I can pick out a much more expensive car than I originally picked and pay the same price. I'd take that deal.

No, I meant for the 2nd choice car at it’s sticker price. That’s what the OP was offered.

The compensation you got OP was reasonable and fair. Remember that you booked a 5 night cruise that Sunrise probably runs 25 times a year, not a once in a lifetime world cruise.  Stuff like this happens regularly for charters, drydocks, etc. Find an alternate accepting your OBC or get a refund.

22 hours ago, jerrie limbie said:

Carnival is offering the same cruise fare and $25/pp OBC to an alternate cruise of the same length or a refund.

Seems like a good deal! Pick a Christmas, Thanksgiving,  New Years or summer  cruise to get maximum value! It could be a great oppertunity to cruise when prices are typically at their peak. 

• Like 1

try searching with the handy calendar view. Click on each day for the options available...not just the one shown on the calendar view.

https://www.carnival.com/cruise-deals/cruise-deal-finder#?currentMonth=112023&datFrom=112023&datTo=112023&layout=calendar&numAdults=2&port=mia,pcv&client=cruisesearchlegacy 

I don't think it hurts to ask to apply what you have to get a great deal on the 6 day that leaves Sunday, if no 5 day is available for your special day you're celebrating. Be flexible...and ask nicely, you never know.

• Thanks 1

To me sunrise isnt that special of a ship. I love afts too, but it's a very crowded refit from a older ship.

I might try to look and see if you can get a nice balcony on a newer ship. I know aft are my favorite too, but keep looking and maybe a good enough option will jump out at you. If you paid a lot maybe it's enough for a 7 day and take the refund and book when you want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joehult said:

I was on this ship in February, they honestly did you a favor. Covid staffing shortages + no usable Wi-Fi + no in room entertainment + a lackluster entertainment schedule = just get a hotel by the beach.

To each his own I suppose.  I like her a lot.  But I always try to sail off peak.