Mislead Twice Over Shore Excursion Itineraryand Dates

Vagabond51

Wished to share our experiences with Viking the past few months regarding shore excursions. Short background. We are sailing on the Viking Star 30 day Med Tour Istanbul Barcelona all of May 2023. Back in September (I take careful notes) we were told we would know what excursions would be offered and receive an email “about” 130 days out, but we would not be able to actually book them until 77 days out. We decided to upgrade to a Junior Penthouse to get priority based on this information. At the end of October we were told there was some delay but the excursions list email would come to us by the end of November (again, I take careful notes). I just got off the phone with Viking. There will be no offered excursions list emailed to us until 77 days out when we would then be able to book. It appears Viking had no intention of even informing us of the change in plans. In effect, Viking has mislead us, twice, with regard to when we would know what excursions would be offered. So as it sits now we have no planning time to decide what excursions we may or may not wish to buy prior to the final book/pay date. We spent a great deal of money to upgrade our stateroom, let alone a 30 day cruise thinking we would have 30 days or more to plan and research our itinerary and then buy our excursions when they open. Nope… Fooled you. Given the amount of resources I have into this, I’m pretty upset with Vikings customer service. It took me 2 hours on chat and phone and then a supervisor to get the fact there would be NO lead time. Everyone along the way just obfuscated and deflected the conversations until I got quite adamant about wanting to know the truth. Just though you folks may wish to know how it turned out for us. Cheers.

I am not trying to oppose you as I understand your investment and your desire to plan in advance, however this has been discussion in many threads of late... Many tour companies went under during the pandemic and those that survived, like all companies now are crying for staff.  Viking may not be in a position to confirm any excursions as yet because of this fact.  Every cruise ship in every port uses the same tour companies and so there is demand from more than just Viking.

Again, I hear and feel your frustration and am not opposing how you do feel.

I have a global position in staffing and every country around the world is crying for staff, and especially in tourism and hospitality.

• Like 6

Sorry about your delay. I guess you know that there is a tentative excursion list at the bottom of the day by day itinerary page for your cruise. Perhaps here is another option to research excursions. I used the chat function to request an old detailed excursion list for our Empires cruise next fall. (My kids like to give us money for excursions for Christmas.) I was emailed a list from a previous cruise, with dates, times and prices. I know our cruise may not offer exactly the same,  but it helps with the research. BTW, I’ve done this for other cruises also, with the chat rep very helpful each time. Also, as you probably know, keep checking MVJ for uploaded excursions…as it can happen any time! 

Edited by CDR2001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The usual tactic is to see what excursions are offered on past sailings or if possible current year sailings to get an idea of what is likely to be available. 

If there's something you particularly want to do its allways best to make independent arrangements and have a plan B. 

No cabin category other than the owners suite guarantees a place on an excursion, we've been on one that only had 10 people total. There are more people than that in the explorer suites. 

• Like 2

Here’s a data point for your consideration:

We are cruising on a TA in March, also in a junior suite.  Our 77 day booking time comes up on December 16th.  The excursions were made available for viewing MVJ yesterday, on December 1st.

Based on this, I’m not sure you have anything to worry about.  The Viking excursion booking system appears to be in much better shape than it was in summer of 2021 for the “welcome back” cruises.  Lots of old threads about the mess there was then.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses and suggestions folks. I believe my frustration lies at the expectations we had based upon definative information provided us by Viking staff, twice. I guess I'm bewildered why Viking would tell us we would know what was being offered in excess of 100 days out when that "just ain't so...". I know it probably sounds like I'm sniveling about it, but WHY tell us we would have the list 100 days out? I know the world is changing, rapidly and the globe is in the process of fracturing. I get it. Our expectations were bases upon conversations with Viking staff. Even now, they had no intent of notifying us that our expectations and information we relied upon from them was incorrect. Again, I know things change. But for the coin they are charging they REALLY dropped the customer service ball. Big time.

I truly appreciate the suggestions offered and will take them to heart and be proactive in putting together a game plan for the trip of a lifetime. But it does make me very wary of most anything else Vikling customer service tells us. Sorry to be so blunt, but they really did drop the ball on this.

Cheers,

We book a couple of years out, at that time there is a provisional excursion list for that sailing on the website, it's part of our pre book research about the itinerary (a bit basic port info wise, but still useful) 

When we book it becomes available on MVJ (you should have got an email for this, it's the thing you enter your passport etc info on). It stays there being updated as and when and can be checked at any time, you get email confirmation of when you can book based on room category. 

We knew which excursions we wanted to book a few months before anybody could sign up. We only book group excursions for logistical reasons, so don't have a long list to try to book

• Like 1

CDR2001 and everyone else... THANK YOU for your suggestion. Just got off the phone with a VERY helpful Viling rep who took the time to find amd email us the 2022 Med Istanbul Barcelona itinerary and shore excursion 51 page pdf. This will give us a bunch to chew on.

As I'm sure most all of you are aware, much of the joy of a trip like this is the hours and hours of planning, discussions and researching our choices. HAving to deal with 25 separate vendors in each port would be a nightmare. They rep also said while the "official" time is 77 days, she has been working at Viking for 7 years and see's that "usually" the current itinerary get's released 20 to 30 days before the first group gets booking rights.

Blood preassure is subsiding. Cheers...

• Like 1

Who even knows if Istanbul will be safe and stable and available for shore excursions next Spring?  Oh, by the way, I am booked to cruise to Istanbul in July.

In these days I do not have any anxiety or stress towards cruise lines trying to arrange an advance excursion list as local processes are still in flux.  I will be happy if I can book one or two months in advance--and yes, in the past, I have booked some cruise shore excursions over a year in advance!!

I really wanted to go back to Turkey more than five years ago, but after the attack in 2016 many cruise lines pulled out until just recently!  Then came Covid!  So everybody is reestablishing their partnerships, and that takes time and requires ongoing evaluation.

Also since Covid, there is instability everywhere in arranging shore excursions--I have noticed some excursions in Istanbul back before 2016 have completely disappeared--so sad.  Of course, the Hagia Sophia has also turned into an active mosque!

Try not to fret too much about the details of actual booking--just make sure you know exactly what you might want to see and do in your ports--and you do NOT need the shore excursion list to read and learn.  Since I have been waiting since 2016 to go back to Istanbul, I know exactly what I want to see!

And if it is not offered, yes, I will arrange my visit independently.

Have fun planning!

• Like 1

I, like you Vagabond51, love the planning stage so I understand your frustration. Make sure when you are on MyVikingJourney you check each day in the Excursions section. For our week long cruise next year, Days 3 through 7 have shown up with excursions and I have been able to make decisions on what we want to do. Waiting for Day 2 at this point but also thinking about what we might want to do independently.  

Cruise line doesn't offer excursions that fit your planning timeframe?  We can always book private excursions.

Nobody said we can only book Viking excursions.  To be frank, after last week's experience in France & Italy I'm now more inclined to book excursions outside of Viking.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Selion said:

Cruise line doesn't offer excursions that fit your planning timeframe?  We can always book private excursions.

Nobody said we can only book Viking excursions.  To be frank, after last week's experience in France & Italy I'm now more inclined to book excursions outside of Viking.

We also try to be adventuresome and book some outside tours.  We've had great success - in South America and Europe!

Try not to get too down - you are supposed to be on vacation!  If it is a horrible trip for you, you can always take your money elsewhere in the future.  Life is too short to stay discouraged!  Carpe Diem!

On 12/2/2022 at 12:37 PM, Vagabond51 said:

As I'm sure most all of you are aware, much of the joy of a trip like this is the hours and hours of planning, discussions and researching our choices. HAving to deal with 25 separate vendors in each port would be a nightmare.

We normally book World Cruises that have 50+ ports, all of which I research thoroughly, including private tours in most of the ports. Rather than a nightmare, I look upon it as a challenge. All part of getting the most out of a cruise. Please don't just focus on Shore-ex, as better options are readily available.

Small group, private tours are definitely worth the effort. In the Meddy, in the unlikely event you miss the ship, it is easy getting to the next port.

• Like 2

If you are on a pre-cruise excursion in Istanbul be mindful of what you sign up for on your first day on ship.  I realized during our pre-cruise tour that the next day from the ship we were to be on the same excursion.  

We did cancel and walk around from the ship on our own.  In hindsight we were glad to not have had an excursion the first day on ship due to continued exhaustion from flying in from west coast of North America.

Need advice on the Northern lights trip March 20, 2023. Wife wants to do the expensive search for the Lights excursions, I do not. We booked the lowest level cabin. If what she wants is not available on Jan 19 should we wait until on board, call or book private excursions ?

any recommendations for private excursions is appreciated. Will not use Viator. 

2 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Need advice on the Northern lights trip March 20, 2023. Wife wants to do the expensive search for the Lights excursions, I do not. We booked the lowest level cabin. If what she wants is not available on Jan 19 should we wait until on board, call or book private excursions ?

any recommendations for private excursions is appreciated. Will not use Viator. 

Use Viator to find companies and options, then book direct. Viator is an agent, not an operator. There is no guarantee of being able to book ships excursions when onboard, likewise good independent firms will be booked up. If its something you really want to do, book something in advance

• Like 1

General question on excursions.  We are traveling with another couple. We are in DV2 they are in V1.  I know from cc discussions that we may not be able to book non included excursions as DV2 as they may be sold out.  Question is,  IF I  CAN book extra cost excursions can I book for the other couple too?

19 minutes ago, cruisewiscrrq said:

General question on excursions.  We are traveling with another couple. We are in DV2 they are in V1.  I know from cc discussions that we may not be able to book non included excursions as DV2 as they may be sold out.  Question is,  IF I  CAN book extra cost excursions can I book for the other couple too?

You can only book for your stateroom.

Some excursions may have multiple busses/groups/guides. When onboard, if you both have the same excursion and time, you can ask to be placed in the same group.