Suite experience comparison? (E-class vs. S-class)

Tom-n-Cheryl

We've sailed in several suites, most RS+, on Solstice class ships. I was just looking at an RS on the Edge and could not help but be shocked by the (difference in the) size of the balcony. 

Aside from that - what's the general consensus on here regarding pros/cons?

I mentioned something to the person working at the future cruise desk, and was assured that the Edge class ships are by far the most popular. From what I've read on here from time to time, I'm not sure if all CC'ers feel the same way!

Tom

We are on the Edge in January in a Celebrity suite. Previously on the Reflection, Equinox, Silhouette in Sky and Celebrity suites. The Celebrity suite on the hump with the angled balcony is terrific. We always have them tape up the stupid bedroom window so you can nap. We won't be able to do that on the Edge as the whole sliding door is frosted glass. We are on the Edge in March in a Royal Suite and I am anxious that if I can't find shade in the retreat because of chair hogs, I'm screwed because of the tiny balcony. Maybe they can take all the furniture off and replace it with one lounge chair ( my husband is just as happy inside the room). This is the first time in a Royal Suite because when we booked,  all Celebrity suites across the entire fleet for March 2023 were gone. I really hope I like the Edge because I loved the other ships a lot.

We sailed on Edge when cruising first resumed. We got a move up from a RS to a PH. Even the balcony in the PH was disappointing so I'm pretty sure we will be disappointed with our upcoming RS balcony.  Other than that we liked Edge, especially the dining options. The ship only had about 900 passengers but the retreat was fully booked. Thinking about what we want to book next we're leaning towards another E class ship but will certainly boon S class if the price is right for the suite we want.

The E class ships were designed with the Retreat vs S & M where the Retreat spaces are carved out of existing spaces and don’t have the same feel.
 IMO Beyond Retreat is the best of the 3.  Retreat Sun Deck on Deck 16 & 17 forward is bigger and has more shaded areas.  Luminae on Deck 16 forward is larger and has more windows,  The Retreat Lounge is on Deck 15 forward so all in very close proximity.

The Beyond also has a much larger Sunset bar with plenty of seating in covered areas and a larger Martini bar and a additional specialty restaurant.

1 hour ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We are on the Edge in January in a Celebrity suite. Previously on the Reflection, Equinox, Silhouette in Sky and Celebrity suites. The Celebrity suite on the hump with the angled balcony is terrific. We always have them tape up the stupid bedroom window so you can nap. We won't be able to do that on the Edge as the whole sliding door is frosted glass. We are on the Edge in March in a Royal Suite and I am anxious that if I can't find shade in the retreat because of chair hogs, I'm screwed because of the tiny balcony. Maybe they can take all the furniture off and replace it with one lounge chair ( my husband is just as happy inside the room). This is the first time in a Royal Suite because when we booked,  all Celebrity suites across the entire fleet for March 2023 were gone. I really hope I like the Edge because I loved the other ships a lot.

We were just in a CS on the Apex a few weeks ago.  We love the CS on "S" class ships, especially that big balcony in the ones on the hump.  The CS on Apex was very nice, the balcony was fine, but much smaller and no lounge on it, just chairs and 2 tables.  I missed the lounge.  There is more than enough storage in the Apex CS but missed the walk in closet that the "S" class has.  The bed is larger in the Apex CS and more comfortable than the "S" class.  Bathroom is very nice on both, though they older we get the more getting into that bathtub/shower becomes an issue. 

The Retreat areas are very nice on both, though we like the Retreat(Michael's)lounge on the "S" class more.  I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise, but the Edge is a completely different Celebrity experience.  

We have done a Sky Suite on Equinox, Edge and Apex. Here are some quick thoughts:

Room - Like the sea-facing bed on E class. The overhang on deck 12 of S class is a concern if you want sun. I don't so it was acceptable.

Retreat Lounge - E-class hands down. Size, ambiance, views. Equinox's lounge was Michael's and probably the biggest negative was that there is no view. 

Luminae - Prefer S-class because you have the MDR menus at your disposal. Our waiter gave us both the Luminae menu and the MDR menu every night. 

Retreat Sundeck - E-class many hands down. Bigger, has pool, has bar. Equinox was an afterthought, has no water anything, much less shade, and no elevator access. 

We also prefer the closeness of all the Retreat areas on E-class. Wife has some mobility challenges so booking a SS by the front elevators puts everything close by.

I would book either class again without hesitation.

mac_tlc

7 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

Retreat Lounge - E-class hands down. Size, ambiance, views. Equinox's lounge was Michael's and probably the biggest negative was that there is no view. 

We missed having a bar in the Retreat Lounge on Edge.  We also prefer the ambiance in the Retreat Lounge/Michael's Club on the S-Class as it is smaller and more intimate making it easier to start up conversations with your fellow retreat guest.

• Like 3

Guest 4-2-N-8
14 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

We've sailed in several suites, most RS+, on Solstice class ships. I was just looking at an RS on the Edge and could not help but be shocked by the (difference in the) size of the balcony. 

I mentioned something to the person working at the future cruise desk, and was assured that the Edge class ships are by far the most popular. From what I've read on here from time to time, I'm not sure if all CC'ers feel the same way!

Tom

I just need more Grey Poupon, and please keep me as far as possible from steerage class! 🤺

Edited by 4-2-N-8

Guest 4-2-N-8
14 hours ago, Treasure Hunter said:

I wouldn't touch an RS or PH on Edge class due to that obscene overhang blocking direct sunlight and overhead night sky views, let alone no hot tub on the balconies. Huge miss by Celebrity.

Wouldn't consider an older ship as these look like warhorses compared to current design. (No offense to anyone in love with the older ships. I'm just trying to find things to gripe about on this site, in an attempt to build up my CC street cred, or gripe'osaurus status. I want to make Zenith gripe'osaurus in 12 months! 🦖)

It's going to be Beyond and Ascent EV or Iconic cabins for me, depending upon how many I bring along on a given trip. These two cabins seem to be the only genuine "infinite veranda" room types that qualify for that euphemism.

I just hope the service and food hold up, what with all the criticism about these aspects on Beyond.

Much peace and calm to all.

Edited by 4-2-N-8

16 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Tom

Tom, I have waited to reply as I hoped you would get more personal responses from cruisers who have experienced the RS on S and E class. My information is from cruise friends who are regular S and 2 x E class cruisers.

Firstly, my friends love the Edge class whole ship design. They found it refreshingly new.

Liked the fact all suite areas were together.

They found Luminae less pleasant on E class (louder, no MDR menu).

They really liked the Retreat Deck on E class  but preferred the Retreat Lounge on S class (better service).

Really disappointed with the E class RS. Tiny balcony, big overhang meaning little sun and no stargazing at night.  Also comments on some uncomfortable seating and the sinks in the bathroom being unpractical despite being attractive. Found the CS on E class OK but without the higher suite perks expensive for what it was.

They have two cruises booked this year. On E class they have booked a standard IV. They plan on enjoying the four dining rooms and supplementing with some speciality dining. They simply didn’t feel that the price of a suite was worth it. Initially they had looked at booking a SS but as the only suite area they were looking at really using was the Deck they found it difficult to justify the costing.  

In contrast on Equinox they have gone for their usual RS…They will utilise Luminae, the speciality restaurants and lounge (not really the retreat deck) but more important for them they will enjoy the room itself and the balcony. 

I guess it all depends what you want from a cruise…

• Like 1

We have found that the nicest suites are on Princess especially price wise but there are little to no other amenities. No guarantee of the sanctuary even if you wanted to pay, no separate restaurant just a roped off space and the suite ( concierge ) room only on the newer ships so we have drifted to Celebrity and NCL Haven. We really like Celebrity and to paraphrase Some Like it Hot. Nobody (or no cruise line) is perfect. We like an over hang for privacy and shade.

2 hours ago, mafig said:

Photos I've seen of Luminae on E-class seems to have the tables pretty close together.  

Is this the case?

One of my gripes with more and more restaurants nowadays. If they sit someone 24" away from you, they might as well be at the same table! We prefer to dine alone or with people we know - not via roulette...

Tom

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

One of my gripes with more and more restaurants nowadays. If they sit someone 24" away from you, they might as well be at the same table! We prefer to dine alone or with people we know - not via roulette...

Tom

This year we have been on MSC Seashore YC and NCL Joy Haven and both their suite restaurants afforded us privacy.  We wanted to book Apex but the pricing has kept us away....I didn't even think I'd have to be in a crowded suite restaurant environment.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mafig said:

Photos I've seen of Luminae on E-class seems to have the tables pretty close together.  

Is this the case?

Yes....mostly.   There is an area right behind the host/hostess station where this is not so much the case, at least not as much as the rest of the room which is very close together.  We were lucky we were seated in that front area every night.  

• Thanks 2