On drinks package, can I order a double?

korky1

Pretty frivolous question I know.  Doing a cruise on Majestic Pincess and for the first time we have taken the plus fare which includes the standard drinks package.  Hubby and I usually order a double scotch each every evening and take them back to our cabin.  Can we still do this on the package?    I know there is a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day  (who could possibly drink that much?), but hoping there isn't a silly limit on ordering a double rather than one at a time.

We do doubles all the time & after a while they know enough to charge 2 drinks to each account without being told.

And yes it's hard to keep up with 15 drinks per day, but we try our best with a little help from our friends.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, korky1 said:

Pretty frivolous question I know.  Doing a cruise on Majestic Pincess and for the first time we have taken the plus fare which includes the standard drinks package.  Hubby and I usually order a double scotch each every evening and take them back to our cabin.  Can we still do this on the package?    I know there is a limit of 15 alcoholic drinks per day  (who could possibly drink that much?), but hoping there isn't a silly limit on ordering a double rather than one at a time.

As others have said, yes. And that's true also on NCL and Celebrity at least. BTW, If I am going to the bar to get a drink for both my wife and me, I try to remember to always have both cards/medallions with me. However, rarely has the barkeep wanted to see both cards.

Usually on the first couple of days of a cruise, on the way back to our cabin after lunch I stop by a bar and get two double scotches, neat,  for us, then carefully carry them back to our cabin, where I deposit them into a Rum Runner. That way we have a little scotch in the cabin if we don't feel like going to a bar for our pre-dinner cocktail, and we can have our scotch on the balcony.

Fifteen drink limits? Holy cow, my wife and I try to always have 4 per day to justify the high cost of the beverage package in our minds! 😉That's a push for us, as we generally have one drink prior to dinner at home, nothing during the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Usually on the first couple of days of a cruise, on the way back to our cabin after lunch I stop by a bar and get two double scotches, neat,  for us, then carefully carry them back to our cabin, where I deposit them into a Rum Runner.

Finally, a new use for Rumrunners. 😁

• Haha 1

One day I ordered a double Bailey's on the Rocks and I noticed that I was charged $1.40 (or something like that) and I couldn't figure out what I bought when I looked the next day.  I figured out I had ordered a double Bailey's.   Funny thing is, that was the only drink I had that day, LOL.   I decided that the next time I would just order two and dump them together, but I didn't order it again.  Next cruise I will remember to tell them to charge me for 2 drinks.

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Finally, a new use for Rumrunners. 😁

Yeah, I used Rum Runners for years and years for their intended purpose, until I learned I could order a bottle onboard for cabin consumption. But someone suggested this new use for them when I mentioned we usually only have our pre-dinner cocktail in our cabin, on our balcony, so the beverage package didn't appeal much to us. Before that suggestion, I was getting a couple of scotches at the bar after lunch and hiding them in the cabin until that evening. I hid them so the steward wouldn't think they were unfinished drinks needing to be tossed.

Doug

16 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yeah, I used Rum Runners for years and years for their intended purpose, until I learned I could order a bottle onboard for cabin consumption. But someone suggested this new use for them when I mentioned we usually only have our pre-dinner cocktail in our cabin, on our balcony, so the beverage package didn't appeal much to us. Before that suggestion, I was getting a couple of scotches at the bar after lunch and hiding them in the cabin until that evening. I hid them so the steward wouldn't think they were unfinished drinks needing to be tossed.

Doug

Funny, because that's exactly what we do also, but I keep the glass on the shelf where the safe is and they never bother them. 

I retired our Rumrunner's when we started to get the plus package but it looks like we'll soon have to dust them off with the new pricing. 

21 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Funny, because that's exactly what we do also, but I keep the glass on the shelf where the safe is and they never bother them. 

I retired our Rumrunner's when we started to get the plus package but it looks like we'll soon have to dust them off with the new pricing. 

Roger that on all....and especially about the new pricing! I do like the convenience of the "included perks" packages, but there is a limit to what I'll pay for convenience. On our last Celebrity cruise, the cost was about $100 per day for the two of use I believe. Not too bad considering the cost of their "gratuities" which have crept up over the years. I recently checked a Carnival cruise from NOLA that I though might be a quicky/cheapy next fall; Holy Cow! I think it was around $800 (for two) for just the beverage package unless I read it wrong!  That's hard to justify when we would each probably have only 3 drinks in a day. We like NOLA for cruises because it's a drive instead of a flight. But only NCL and Carnival are there except for a few RCIs. Yep, gonna have to strongly consider dusting off the ol' RumRunners for cruises from now on. I still wish cruise lines would allow me to bring a bottle of scotch (etc) as most do with a bottle of wine. I have no problem paying for that, at least I could bring my preferred brand.

Doug

3 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Yep, gonna have to strongly consider dusting off the ol' RumRunners for cruises from now on. I still wish cruise lines would allow me to bring a bottle of scotch (etc) as most do with a bottle of wine. I have no problem paying for that, at least I could bring my preferred brand.

Not a scotch drinker but I still like to have a some of my favorite stashed on the shelf so I don't have to bother room service late at night. 

When this new Plus program kicks in we'll have to resort to using the RumRunners like we did in the past.

Now we feel forced to keep drinking just to break even. 

9 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Not a scotch drinker but I still like to have a some of my favorite stashed on the shelf so I don't have to bother room service late at night. 

When this new Plus program kicks in we'll have to resort to using the RumRunners like we did in the past.

Now we feel forced to keep drinking just to break even. 

I suspect they will up the search for rum runners. The secret squirrel methods will need to be investigated. I'm sure some embarkation ports will be more stringent than others. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, wrongwaywatson said:

One day I ordered a double Bailey's on the Rocks and I noticed that I was charged $1.40 (or something like that) and I couldn't figure out what I bought when I looked the next day.  I figured out I had ordered a double Bailey's.   Funny thing is, that was the only drink I had that day, LOL.   I decided that the next time I would just order two and dump them together, but I didn't order it again.  Next cruise I will remember to tell them to charge me for 2 drinks.

Were you in port? Often you have to pay city tax.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jennybenny said:

I suspect they will up the search for rum runners. The secret squirrel methods will need to be investigated. I'm sure some embarkation ports will be more stringent than others. 

I suppose with passenger counts lately the cruise lines can afford to make cruising just too expensive for many of us. It's still a decent price if one can choose options (perks) to keep the price appropriate, but once it comes "all included" at horrendous prices, many of us will choose another way to be "on vacation".  There seems to be a lot of couples willing to pay $4000 for a balcony cabin for a typical 7 day cruise. We are not,  but I know the cruise lines are not pricing for my benefit.  I still think they could charge around $75 for me to bring a bottle of scotch <etc> on board with me, and still make enough money to stay in business. But that's just me. If we were big drinkers, which we are not, the current direction of pricing perks would be okay, but as it is, I really have to question those costs when I compare prices now.

Doug

• Like 2

You can certainly order a double, in fact, in Crooners, my DH was always asked if he wanted a double when he ordered a cocktail.  
BTW, there was never an extra charge for this on our bill, however, they will charge for two drinks against the package limit.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jennybenny said:

Let them check all they want. I've got nothing to hide. 😁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billco said:

Were you in port? Often you have to pay city tax.

No, I was not.  I was charged because that one drink was over the drink cost limit.  If I had ordered 2 separate drinks, I would have been fine.  Or, asked them to put it in as 2 drinks.   My screw up.

20 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

The rum runners seem like a good solution for those taking B2B's   Buy the beverage pkg for cruise 1 and get your 15 drinks a day and squirrel away what you can for cruise 2.....LOL

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, "they" might be reading this! 😲

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

The rum runners seem like a good solution for those taking B2B's   Buy the beverage pkg for cruise 1 and get your 15 drinks a day and squirrel away what you can for cruise 2.....LOL

You're reading my mind but I think I'll need a bigger bottle than just my 3 RumRunners. 🤩

• Like 1

On 12/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, cruzin4us said:

Feels like too much work! lol

• Like 2

On 12/5/2022 at 12:49 PM, cruzin4us said:

Buy the beverage pkg for cruise 1 and get your 15 drinks a day and squirrel away what you can for cruise 2

It was reasoning like this that led to the 15-drink limit, from the unlimited drinks when the package first came out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KreinKrunker said:

It was reasoning like this that led to the 15-drink limit, from the unlimited drinks when the package first came out.

I don't see that Princess says you can't. Looks like it's perfectly acceptable providing the drinks aren't shared with others. 

On 12/4/2022 at 4:24 AM, MissP22 said:

We do doubles all the time & after a while they know enough to charge 2 drinks to each account without being told.

And yes it's hard to keep up with 15 drinks per day, but we try our best with a little help from our friends.

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I don't see that Princess says you can't. Looks like it's perfectly acceptable providing the drinks aren't shared with others. 

• Like 1

I won't speak to ordering liquor to take after the sailing...  But, you don't need to order a bottle or to save drinks for your cabin.  Just use the app!!!  (unless it is not working well for some reason)  They will bring them right to your cabin.  

Wouldn't it be just as good, or better, to have some kind of water bottle, insulated bottle, or flask.  Wouldn't that be easier than the runner?