Filing Travel Insurance Claim

Shae_W

Both of us purchased Travel insurance for this cruise.

Myself and a friend of mine were due to embark on a cruise this week but they Tested positive for COVID on an at home test, I am aware that if one of your party tests positive 10 days before embarkation day both parties can be fully reimbursed. Although if I still wanted to attend the cruise would she be eligible to be fully reimbursed? I tried to ask this over the phone with RCI but they tried redirecting me a couple times and decided I wasn't going to get anywhere calling them, after they kept giving me vague answers.

Aside from filing a claim for positive COVID test could I fudge the info on an insurance claim for them to get anything in return like a missed flight or flight change that did not allow them to make the cruise? the last cruise I went on this exact thing happened when my party member had flights changed on her last minute and almost missed the cruise entirely, but while I was on the emergency help line they stated that she could file a claim and get her money back for the cruise, we didn't need to do this because she ended up making it but would it be possible to claim it is a result of unexpected flight cancelation for a singular refund for my friend or would it just be better to state they tested positive for COVID? 

Yeah “fudging” is never a good plan.  I imagine the insurance company will want some type of proof.  I would have your friend go get a lab test showing he/she is positive.  Don’t call RC, call the insurance provider.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Shae_W said:

Both of us purchased Travel insurance for this cruise.

Myself and a friend of mine were due to embark on a cruise this week but they Tested positive for COVID on an at home test, I am aware that if one of your party tests positive 10 days before embarkation day both parties can be fully reimbursed. Although if I still wanted to attend the cruise would she be eligible to be fully reimbursed? I tried to ask this over the phone with RCI but they tried redirecting me a couple times and decided I wasn't going to get anywhere calling them, after they kept giving me vague answers.

Aside from filing a claim for positive COVID test could I fudge the info on an insurance claim for them to get anything in return like a missed flight or flight change that did not allow them to make the cruise? the last cruise I went on this exact thing happened when my party member had flights changed on her last minute and almost missed the cruise entirely, but while I was on the emergency help line they stated that she could file a claim and get her money back for the cruise, we didn't need to do this because she ended up making it but would it be possible to claim it is a result of unexpected flight cancelation for a singular refund for my friend or would it just be better to state they tested positive for COVID? 

You can both get a 100% refund if you don't sail per the current guidelines.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-i-test-positive-for-sars-cov-2-what-is-your-refund-policy-and-costs-covered

As far as fudging an insurance claim, I wouldn't suggest committing insurance fraud.  Whether your flight is covered or not depends on the insurance policy you purchased.  If you bought cruiseline insurance, it does not cover airfare booked independently.

• Like 1

Home test won’t cut it. Needs to be a lab test so they can see the positive result, need proof.
Anybody can say they tested positive to get a claim. 
wont get a refund from Royal either, need a positive test result from a lab not home test

Edited by Midwestgal
  • Like 2

You need to look at the specifics of your travel insurance policy if they have coverage for canceling due to Covid.

To get the refund from Royal you have to cancel everyone in your cabin. It can't be either or. 

Usually travel insurance would cover the increased cost for you to go solo if your traveling partner has to cancel for a covered reason, but if you can mitigate the loss by getting a full refund from the cruise line's published policy, the insurance carrier may deny the claim.

Either way, you definitely need official lab results of a positive test.