Ginger for sea sickness

klb1978

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

Ultimately, the best remedy for motion sickness is to get outside or to somewhere where you can see the horizon. Indoors, your eyes are telling your brain that you are stable, but your inner ears are screaming at your brain to stop the rocking.

Your brain misinterprets this as you are being poisoned, and tells your stomach to get rid of whatever is poisoning you. That's why ginger works - it calms the stomach.

Oh heck no!  Horizon schmorizon! LOLOLOL

2 hours ago, teddie said:

It may help with the immediate sick stomach, but wouldn't prevent me from getting seasick. Appreciate the ideas, but no..

Teddie

All I can say is it works for She Who Must Be Obeyed who can get car sick if she's the passenger in a car backing up.  She starts ginger capsules several days before the cruise and has been fine.  

• Like 2

I remember a cruise some years ago (not sure which line) there was a waiter stationed outside the dining room after dinner giving out candied ginger. Not sure if it did anything for seasickness but it was yummy. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, orville99 said:

The biggest issue DW had with tolerating the patch is that it is dosed for an adult 165-180lb male, and she's a ~100lb female.

I have a similar issue. I only weigh 120lbs and can't tolerate the patch for more than a day and a half. I usually put it on the morning of the cruise, then take it off after breakfast the next day. The medicine seems to stay in my system for a couple days, and then as long as the ship isn't rocking too much, I can tolerate it. If not, I always have 2 more patches I can put on.

My issues with the patch are that by the end of day 1 it makes my throat hurt, makes my mouth dry, makes me feel a little weird in the head (not seasick, but queasy in a different way), and if left on for more than 3 days, my eyesight gets blurry to the point where I can't even read the dinner menu, (and I have perfect vision normally, I don't wear glasses).

Ginger, apples (recommended by a waiter once), those pressure point wristbands (threw up on mine), peppermint etc... these are garbage remedies for people with genuine inner ear issues. Not sure about Dramamine. The only time I tried it was after I was already seasick so it did nothing for me except make me tired. 

I did my 1 day trick with the patch last week on the symphony. I could feel the ship moving most of the time, but it only got worrisome when at the front of the ship (the theaters, the solarium, hooked restaurant). We only had 5ft waves the whole week which was lucky. I had a couple instances when I was worried the rocking might make me sick, but I was fine and never had to break out another patch. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

I have really bad motion sickness and cannot use the meds. 

I put my sea bands on prior to my flight and they stay on (except for showering) till two weeks after I arrive home (prevents the problem with getting my land legs back). 

I bring peppermint lifesavers, chewable ginger, gravol ginger, ginger tea and peppermint tea. I eat the green apples if I’m feeling a bit nauseous. I’ve been on pretty rough seas and only one time did the motion impact me so much that I was knocked down a bit. 

22 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

Seaband

Pressure point

Bonine (Meclizine)

Dramamine

Ginger

Ginger Ale (even 7up)

Pickled Ginger

Green Apple

Ginger Candy

Mary Ann not Ginger

Peppermint candy

Distant horizon concentration

Scope of Dope

Add - Ginger Beer :classic_smile:

Our long time TA's husband got sea sick standing on the pier looking at the ship.  She swears by ginger.  Trick is to start a week or so before the cruise.  Fresh, capsules, or even ginger snaps worked for him.  We were on an ultra small ship cruise once with a bunch of people wearing patches who also stayed up every night getting Sh&t faced.  Then complained the patches didn't work as they still got sick in the AM.  Dah!