Another cut being tested: Once per day cabin service

Tenderpaw

5 hours ago, Tin can said:

I'm not sure I would put TUI 4*+ with Cunard and above Royal personally but its all opinions I guess. 

Actually this chart reflects some 20+ years of working in the financial market analysis field as well as my personal experience, not only cruising, but visiting cruise ships in my own town cruise terminal for work purposes. I'd say TUI (TUI Germany with their "Mein Shiff" fleet, not TUI UK now known as Marella Cruises! Marella is 3* cruising, surely!) is X for the Germans (like AIDA is Carnival for the Germans) and a few other Europeans. TUI is almost at least half inclusive, priced at X level, with ships with X sophistication and product specification, maybe, even a little notch above that. Cunard is a particular case, like it or not, part of the same segment for various reasons, with a top section ranging the top of the tops in the whole market. Both above RCI for certain!

23 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Actually this chart reflects some 20+ years of working in the financial market analysis field as well as my personal experience, not only cruising, but visiting cruise ships in my own town cruise terminal for work purposes. I'd say TUI (TUI Germany with their "Mein Shiff" fleet, not TUI UK now known as Marella Cruises! Marella is 3* cruising, surely!) is X for the Germans (like AIDA is Carnival for the Germans) and a few other Europeans. TUI is almost at least half inclusive, priced at X level, with ships with X sophistication and product specification, maybe, even a little notch above that. Cunard is a particular case, like it or not, part of the same segment for various reasons, with a top section ranging the top of the tops in the whole market. Both above RCI for certain!

Interesting, I have never been on a Mein Shiff ship so I can't comment really. The TUI cruises are great in the UK for the money but not on a level with Royal, P & O or MSC.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

No solid information to definitely rank them, once they're a new build trying to settle down in the market. I'd say 4*+, despite them being quite on the rampant side of the pond in certain areas. I forgot to put HAL sort on the top side of the 4*+ segment as well.

(not to hijack this forum/thread) Thanks for the reply.  4*+ is probably right but I haven't cruised Virgin yet so can't confirm.  10*+++ for the food from every review and video I've watched, almost every one of them says 'best food I've ever had on any cruise'.  I'm mapping out a plan to eat my way through the ship lol. : )  

My friend picked the cruise for his 55th, it's all specialty restaurants included (there is no buffet and no MDR), also included gratuities, wifi, soda, even the arcade games, etc.  Here's what he sent me that was the nail in the coffin for us to commit.  This is soooo dang funny/cute.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sc0VSFuRFE

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tin can said:

Interesting, I have never been on a Mein Shiff ship so I can't comment really. The TUI cruises are great in the UK for the money but not on a level with Royal, P & O or MSC.

I went inside one for a couple of hours with my bank's top board at the time. It's X for Germans! Marella is definitely 3*. I quickly understood your, and perhaps my own misleading post!...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It really isn’t hard to put away. It takes very little effort.

Depends on the ship. Some the 4th bed just slides out and back in easily. We just came off the Wonder last week and the pullout popped up to bed height. We could not figure out how to get it to retract, had to let the cabin steward do it.

I agree with some of the posters here, it's not a "huge" thing, but it is the slow dilution of the experience. Death by paper cuts. On it's own, this as many things are minor. But you do enough minor annoyances, it adds up to a big annoyance.

• Like 3

Is there a compromise solution? I appreciate the complete room cleaning in the morning, but in the evening, the only things I ever need are to pull out the sofa bed for my kid and perhaps exchange some used towels. That doesn't take long. Could the cruise lines cut evening service to just those types of essentials?

15 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

First and foremost i do not agree with the vague nature of the distribution of the money, just me, but i want to know where it is going.

Respectfully, i am really not concerned about the dishwasher, the laundry staff, or the other non descript "behind the scenes" personnel. In my opinion, the are not tipped positions, and my cruise fare covers their guaranteed salary; the service they provide is "included"

I don't know how the cruise lines divvy-up the gratuities we pay directly to them.  I suspect cruise lines do what most restaurant owners do:  underpay employees and push the bulk of the wage-paying obligation / burden onto patrons / customers.  It seems to me that cruise lines recruit a large number of employees from countries with poor economies and many poor (by more developed nations) in their population.  Also, foreign flag cruise ship employees lack the pay, benefits, and labor protections available to their American counterparts.

1 hour ago, MightyMike said:

Is there a compromise solution? I appreciate the complete room cleaning in the morning, but in the evening, the only things I ever need are to pull out the sofa bed for my kid and perhaps exchange some used towels. That doesn't take long. Could the cruise lines cut evening service to just those types of essentials?

Yes, there is usually possible compromise.  However, many who've commented in this discussion view a change from "current" to projected "future" housekeeping services a cutback which should be acknowledged by lower prices or some sort of additional included complimentary benefit. 

Each of us travels with different or slightly different expectations.  Some spend large sums of money to cruise, and cruise frequently; it's a big part of their lives; I understand their higher level of service expectations.  Me?  I'm a budget traveler having recently cruised for the first time in my 73 years ... because the cruise departed just a 40 minute drive from where I live and the price was right (in my mind).  Once a day service?  Twice a day?  I can live with either.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 12:11 PM, Tenderpaw said:

It totally benefits Royal as a cost cutting effort:  fewer room stewards, less towels to wash, less laundry attendents, less water to produce on board, less cleaning chemicals for the rooms, less soap in the laundry.  All under the guise of "sustainability".  

We will still use the same amount of towels, etc. each day regardless. The room steward will simply be leaving more in our stateroom. I guess we are used to less service. Most hotels did not offer any type service after Covid. Even Disney who is charging upwards of $800.00 per night for the Grand Californian was giving service only every three days. I think this is the new norm. 

8 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Though few months ago was surprised Attendant put towels in Cabin nite before our Labadee stop.

Labadee is RCG only. They don't have to worry about not getting their towels back 😊. And I used RCG, not RCI, as I have been there on Celebrity also. Only been there a few times, but have had shore/pool towels delivered the night before every time. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

We will still use the same amount of towels, etc. each day regardless. The room steward will simply be leaving more in our stateroom. I guess we are used to less service. Most hotels did not offer any type service after Covid. Even Disney who is charging upwards of $800.00 per night for the Grand Californian was giving service only every three days. I think this is the new norm. 

$800 is a new norm what for exactly?  For using a piece of furniture called a bed for 1 night?  You can buy the whole thing to use 20-30 years for this amount!

Voyage, Voyage!

Edited by kirtihk

On 12/7/2022 at 11:05 AM, Tenderpaw said:

https://www.cruisehive.com/service-change-spotted-on-royal-caribbean-ship/89773

Ugh!  Note, no reduction in gratuities, no reduction in fares.  Just less service.

But in before all the cheerleaders:

1.  it doesn't matter to me because of xyz

2.  at least we can still cruise and we don't want Royal to go out of business

3.  its still better than at home so it doesn't matter

4.  i reuse my towels to save the environment and you should too you terrible person

5.  Carnival already does this and its fine.

No issue as long as the gratuity is reduced accordingly. Somehow, I don't think that's gonna happen....

• Like 2

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Next time buy insurance or get refundable. That’s what they are for. Exactly what cutbacks have they done since you booked the cruises?

How would insurance help with cut backs? 

The cut backs are real.  I've been on two cruises in the last three months -- I still had two fantastic trips, but I did see the cuts. 

16 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

It really isn’t hard to put away. It takes very little effort.

Its really easy to put away. Kids do it all the time.

Pulling out your kid's bunk bed, whether it's easy or difficult, seems to be "too much" on a vacation where you've paid for cabin service -- especially, as I said above, when a 3rd or 4th guest is in a cabin, the steward is making more money, and the work isn't all that much more.

12 hours ago, BennyandBo said:

First, this makes me sad. Coming back to the cabin at the end of the night to a fresh room, empty trash can, fresh towels, towel animals, ice, etc always felt so special. 

I agree that coming back after dinner and seeing the room "refreshed" is special.  I'm asking myself (and am not completely sure) how much it would bother me to see the sheets still messed up from my husband's 3rd nap of the day.  

8 hours ago, jrapps said:

I agree with some of the posters here, it's not a "huge" thing, but it is the slow dilution of the experience. Death by paper cuts. On it's own, this as many things are minor. But you do enough minor annoyances, it adds up to a big annoyance.

Well said.  

1 hour ago, lakelorain said:

We prefer once a day.  A solution to the problem would be once a day unless you put your magnet out requesting a second service.  

This does sound like a reasonable solution, but I'll point this out:  From the cabin steward's point of view, a part of the problem is waiting around for guests to "empty out" and let the steward do his job.  I think we've all seen them standing around in the hall waiting -- I know I'd be annoyed if I'd done all but 1-2 of my rooms, and I had to wait in the hallway for the people to leave.  I'd be even more annoyed to find out later that they hadn't been in the room.  

Maybe a better magnet-alert system for the steward would make things more efficient.  Like a magnet that says, "Post this magnet by 10:00 to get morning service".  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

I cruised with Celebrity and they gave a extra point a day if you gave up the 2nd cleaning and we still got turndown service.  If Royal did that, I am sure you would sign up for it. 

Right now, the once a day cleaning is only being piloted on Quantium of the Seas as a test, like Symphony is doing a test with a different dinning menu.

I am pretty sure they know the majority of the rooms don't need a 2nd cleaning.  I remember when people boo booed when the state room attendants didn't have an assistant working with them.  Geez 😒

Who knew so many had maid service at home the way some of you all are carrying on.

I don't need or care about if the room is cleaned twice a day and I don't care if there is a turn-down service and a mint on the pillow.  I just want a fresh towel after every shower, of which I can shower 2 to 4 times a day, on a cruise.  I don't use the same towel twice at home, I don't expect to on a cruise that I pay thousands of dollars for.  If the steward can leave us several sets of toweling, I'm Okay with it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 12/7/2022 at 3:31 PM, little britain said:

When X introduced this idea over a year ago - if you signed up to their “green” programme, you got extra loyalty points…just a suggestion…! 

If I get double points on I'll sign up otherwise I want twice daily service.  I just got off of NCL's Pride of America where they do once a day service.  I hated it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ret MP said:

I don't need or care about if the room is cleaned twice a day and I don't care if there is a turn-down service and a mint on the pillow.  I just want a fresh towel after every shower, of which I can shower 2 to 4 times a day, on a cruise.  I don't use the same towel twice at home, I don't expect to on a cruise that I pay thousands of dollars for.  If the steward can leave us several sets of toweling, I'm Okay with it.  

You wash your towel after every use? How dirty are you.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bretts173 said:

You wash your towel after every use? How dirty are you.

That's the point, I'm clean as can be because of it.  I don't like drying my undercarriage, or feet, or armpits (if hot when entering a shower and sweating, I'm usually still hot and sweating when I'm done showering) and a few hours later, after my next shower I dry my face off with it, no thanks.  This is my thing, your milage may vary!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I agree.  It's not that I'm not clean after a shower but there could be body fluids, hair, etc., on the towel after a shower and why would I use the same soiled towel over?  Just leave several sets and sometimes I ask for extra towels up front just like I tell the steward to forgo making us towel animals during the cruise.  There are many other ways to save cost that may impact less cruisers.  Next cutting down to maybe one roll of TP for the week!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeputyDawg46 said:

I agree.  It's not that I'm not clean after a shower but there could be body fluids, hair, etc., on the towel after a shower and why would I use the same soiled towel over?  Just leave several sets and sometimes I ask for extra towels up front just like I tell the steward to forgo making us towel animals during the cruise.  There are many other ways to save cost that may impact less cruisers.  Next cutting down to maybe one roll of TP for the week!!

So after every shower at home you wash your towel?