Downside of booking an apartment

Markanddonna

16 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Amazon delivers heavy bottles of water. And I think they deliver heavy bottles of wine in some places too! Along with very heavy bottles of pain meds for those hangovers, of course! That Jeff thinks of everything!😁

I hear if you return those big bottles of water to Amazon when empty, they are recycled for employee bathroom breaks...   😱🤣🙊

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Always an issue with rentals and one must use lots of caution and due diligence.  VRBO does have a guarantee process which is one popular option.  Another practice is to carefully check out references (i.e previous renters).  But like many things in the travel world there is some risk.

Hank

And in the digital age of on-line reviews, fakery in references is a risk.

On 12/10/2022 at 10:40 AM, Hlitner said:

This past May we stayed in our favorite-ever hotel which was a small place in Prague.  The owner was a hands on kind of guy who was there morning, noon and night.  When I went to the included breakfast on my birthday the owner surprised us with a bottle of decent Champagne, specialty cup cakes, and more!  When he found out that DW and I were going to the Opera (about a mile from our hotel) he came back to his hotel so he could drive us to the opera.  But this kind of hotel and service is very rare.

Hank

Hi Hank.  We will be in Prague in June 2023.  Can you mention the name of the hotel?

Stan

6 minutes ago, travelingman said:

Hi Hank.  We will be in Prague in June 2023.  Can you mention the name of the hotel?

Stan

Absolutely delighted to mention the name.  It is the Hotel Residence Agnes.   Just a warning that the small hotel tends to be fully booked very far in advance.  

Hank

• Thanks 1

We, too, prefer hotels.   Similar to @cruisemom42, we don't really drink in the room, preferring a glass of wine while out to dinner.    If breakfast is included, so much the better, else we find a way to do an easy breakfast in our room, then head out for the day.

We like the ability to easily have problems resolved, including the ability to be moved to a different room if required (not very often, but still).    I do hear those saying that one can get much more living space in an apartment, which is very true.    If we were staying longer than a few days to a week in one place, then finding an apartment would make more sense, even for us.

Sometimes the price is higher in a hotel; I counter that by booking early, then rebooking if the price drops.

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Absolutely delighted to mention the name.  It is the Hotel Residence Agnes.   Just a warning that the small hotel tends to be fully booked very far in advance.  

Hank

We stayed at the Elephant Design Hotel in Prague.    It had a terrific breakfast.  It has been a few years though.