Can I make this flight Southampton to LHR

walkersandtalkers

3 minutes ago, walkersandtalkers said:

I can use points to book the only NS available from LHR to Portland Oregon.  All other flights on that day or the next day are ridiculous!  The flight leaves 3:15 the day of our arrival in Southampton.   Thoughts?

Considering that its only about 70 miles from Southampton to LHR you should not have a problem. The last time we debarked in the UK it was a Dover (which is about 100 miles) and we were at LHR by noon using the ships transfer. 

• Thanks 1

Easily.  One way to check is to do a mock FBC booking.  It'll only show the flights Celebrity will sell that fit the ships' arrivals.  We used Blackberry Cars back in May---had to wait more than an hour at Heathrow to check in for our 1:50pm flight to DFW.

Edited by jwlane
  • Thanks 1

I've done it before using a Private Car Service and had no problem   

Last time in Southampton on a B2B the ship was totally zeroed out and B2B processed at 9:15.     Even if really bad traffic would be less than 2 hours.  

A good way to play is to go to Google Maps and put in Origin and Destination and then choose either car or public transit and day of week and time of day and will calculate with normal traffic

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, walkersandtalkers said:

I can use points to book the only NS available from LHR to Portland Oregon.  All other flights on that day or the next day are ridiculous!  The flight leaves 3:15 the day of our arrival in Southampton.   Thoughts?

You should be fine. You need minimum 3 hour check in at Heathrow for International flights giving you a latest arrival time of 12.15.

I assume this is for next spring by which time hopefully the industrial action by Border Force Officers will be over. However I wouldn't rely on a train booking as the long running industrial dispute shows no sign of ending.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, jwlane said:

Easily.  One way to check is to do a mock FBC booking.  It'll only show the flights Celebrity will sell that fit the ships' arrivals.  We used Blackberry Cars back in May---had to wait more than an hour at Heathrow to check in for our 1:50pm flight to DFW.

Train is not an option.  We have just spent months in England enduring the multiple strikes + we would have to change trains 3X.  The mock Celebrity Air booking does not show the NS flight we want.  So, we may book a Celebrity transfer onboard or do a  private car.  I appreciate the advice!  (Since we are booking with points, I will check with our 2 travel insurances to see if they cover lost points due to travel interruption.)

I live in Southampton and give myself 4.5 hours prior to a US flight (3 hours at LHR). 

The exit at Southampton port is efficient. We exited from Miami at 10am with massive queues last week on a 600 person ship. Just a saunter at Southampton. 

The train is fine for London but not LHR. Hopefully the strikes will be over by the New Year. Get a car. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, walkersandtalkers said:

Impossible to answer as the day of the week changes traffic.  Monday and Friday the worst.  Also any day before or after a holiday weekend.

The good news of using points is you likely get moved if you cannot make the flight or your points back.

3:15pm.  You should be good, but walk off early.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, walkersandtalkers said:

Train is not an option.  We have just spent months in England enduring the multiple strikes + we would have to change trains 3X.  The mock Celebrity Air booking does not show the NS flight we want.  So, we may book a Celebrity transfer onboard or do a  private car.  I appreciate the advice!  (Since we are booking with points, I will check with our 2 travel insurances to see if they cover lost points due to travel interruption.)

If you booked with points most airlines now allow you to cancel up to flight time at no cost and will credit you back the miles or points plus the taxes, so what would be the nature of the loss you are insuring? 

Edited by edgee
  • Thanks 2

Definitely hire a private car to insure you get there early enough.  Heathrow is a nightmare, at least it was last May.  It took us over 3 hours to go from walking in the terminal and getting to the gate.  

Have you looked at flights from Gatwick?  That's what we plan to do the next time we have to fly out of England.

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

Definitely hire a private car to insure you get there early enough.

I hired a private car both to/from Heathrow/Southampton for our cruise last September, @walkersandtalkers, and I recommend it.

On our final day (Sept. 10), we docked at 6:00 a.m. but disembarked at 8:45 for a 9:00 pickup. (I used a company called Heathrow Shuttle; I have zero affiliation with them and receive no benefit by mentioning them.)

Our flight home left at 2:25 p.m. that day, and we arrived at Heathrow with more than enough time to check bags, go through security, explore a few shops, and even enjoy a nice late-lunch at a pub-style place in the airport (as well as a pint or two 😃).

This cost more than passage on a train or coach, but jumping into a comfortable private car outside the Southampton cruise terminal and then stepping out right in front of the Heathrow airport terminal door -- with plenty of time to spare -- proved worth it in order to make our flight.

Hope this helps,

cjr

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2022 at 5:34 AM, Gracie115 said:

Definitely hire a private car to insure you get there early enough.  Heathrow is a nightmare, at least it was last May.  It took us over 3 hours to go from walking in the terminal and getting to the gate.  

Have you looked at flights from Gatwick?  That's what we plan to do the next time we have to fly out of England.

Sorry.  Not used to this format!  No flights available out of Gatwick with our mileage program.  For sure we will hire a private car and perhaps others can join us out of Southampton MAY 13th, 2023

Edited by walkersandtalkers
  • Like 1

On 12/9/2022 at 9:10 PM, edgee said:

If you booked with points most airlines now allow you to cancel up to flight time at no cost and will credit you back the miles or points plus the taxes, so what would be the nature of the loss you are insuring? 

Thanks!  I just checked with my carrier just to be sure and you are right on.....I just need to call and cancel before my flight leaves and will get all mileage and fees returned.  Or, hopefully change flights

• Like 1

9 hours ago, walkersandtalkers said:

Thanks!  I just checked with my carrier just to be sure and you are right on.....I just need to call and cancel before my flight leaves and will get all mileage and fees returned.  Or, hopefully change flights

Or you can cancel on line...then you get a receipt back documenting the cancellation.