Bar Harbor alternatives?

lissie

We've recently booked a trip ex Boston 29 July on the Zaandam. They advertise a stop at  Bar Harbor but I believe that port has recently banned ships bigger than 1000pax . 

Any talk of what the alternative port  will be. Or as its our last day before returning to Boston  do you think we will return a day earlier and spend the last night in Boston? 

Hi

I just read a more specific article

They are gradually introducing this limit of 1,000 passengers being allowed to visit from each ship

Not just smaller ships with fewer than that number

Your cruise was scheduled before the vote so probably won't be affected

The new rule will start affecting all ships in 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Hey Lissie, looks like we will be passing each other on the pier. We are boarding when you get off of Zaandam. I have read your posts on the down under board. Have a great cruise.

Our itinerary stops in Portland not Bar Harbour.

Haha small world! We have Portland too - there is a LOT of ports - exciting 

• Like 1

Just one more case of this disturbing trend (for cruisers) of ports trying to limit or ban cruise ships.  This is happening all over the world.  Why?  I think that folks are reacting to the larger capacities of ships and the disruption on the community.  Multiple studies have shown that cruisers do not contribute a lot of money to local economies (much less per person than a land-based tourist) and I think that the tendency of many cruisers to use large tour buses, travel in large groups (i.e. cruise line excursions) has been a "turn off" to locals around the world.  Since we live in a cruise port (Puerto Vallarta) and are also avid cruisers, we see this issue from both points of view.  When most ships carried less than 1000 passengers it was not such a big deal.  But now, with some ships carrying over 6000 it has become a major political issue in many communities.

Hank

• Like 3

On 12/11/2022 at 2:34 PM, riffatsea said:

Hi

I just read a more specific article

They are gradually introducing this limit of 1,000 passengers being allowed to visit from each ship

Not just smaller ships with fewer than that number

Your cruise was scheduled before the vote so probably won't be affected

The new rule will start affecting all ships in 2024

On same cruise, so when I first saw this online did a little research. Like riffatsea said it does not affect us. According to the reports I read in local the papers around Bar Harbor the 2023 port schedule was finalized prior to the vote, so the ban is scheduled to take effect in 2024.

It looked like the cruise lines and local officials were working on mitigating the overcrowding issue, but not to the local's satisfaction hence the referendum. 

On 12/12/2022 at 5:28 AM, Hlitner said:

Just one more case of this disturbing trend (for cruisers) of ports trying to limit or ban cruise ships.  This is happening all over the world.  Why?  I think that folks are reacting to the larger capacities of ships and the disruption on the community.  Multiple studies have shown that cruisers do not contribute a lot of money to local economies (much less per person than a land-based tourist) and I think that the tendency of many cruisers to use large tour buses, travel in large groups (i.e. cruise line excursions) has been a "turn off" to locals around the world.  Since we live in a cruise port (Puerto Vallarta) and are also avid cruisers, we see this issue from both points of view.  When most ships carried less than 1000 passengers it was not such a big deal.  But now, with some ships carrying over 6000 it has become a major political issue in many communities.

Hank

Too many cruise passengers = more crowding + negative impact on residents + negative impact on visitors when the ships are in port + conversion of unique shops to those that set up shop in all of the busy cruise ports.