Cruising with Kids (Grandkids)

Johnny_71

So, I really only have a single question... 

I am traveling with my grandson (7 yo)... I am torn on whether or not to purchase a refreshment package for him... honestly, I think it would be overkill and I'm interested in others experience. 

No, for his health, just let him drink the flavored drinks, milk, OJ, with an occasional splurge.  We took our granddaughter who isn't permitted (parents' rule) to drink sodas. She was thrilled with the one kiddie cocktail we bought for her.  Of course, if you are a grandpa with deep pockets, that is another story. 

• Like 1

We cruised with our step granddaughter (5) in February. We wrestled with the same question and decided to get it. She might have had 4 sodas the whole cruise and when she did I suspect the servers used our Cheers for it. We have deeper pockets than we used to have but we didn't get our value from the package. We'd just go a la carte next time.

First question:  What's he used to drinking at home?  

I don't think I'd get the package for a 7-year old -- but I would bring a couple canned sodas onboard for him -- or be prepared to buy a-la-cart for a couple.  The 7-year old is very likely to eat all his meals with at least one grandparent.  

On the other hand, when I had teenagers (daughters), I did buy the package for them.  Why the difference?  As teenagers they met up with friends for meals, and I wasn't available to buy a soda for them -- we did not give our kids charging priviledges.  Also, I lectured my girls sternly about NEVER drinking anything that 1) wasn't handed to them by a bartender,  2) had been out of their sight for a moment,  3) I didn't want them to be out with new friends and feel that they "had to" finish a drink because they'd paid for it.  

Adding a not-unrelated thought: 

Recently on Independence, my husband and I sat outside Promenade Cafe for a snack, which is right by the candy shop.  100% of the kids who walked by that place turned their heads to look at it; 50% of the kids walked over and looked in the (closed) doors.  I commented to my husband, "One day we'll bring our grandson on a cruise, and I'm going to bring candy with us."  The candy is all -- or mostly -- in self-serve bins /decanted into clear plastic cups with lids.  I saw a little boy in the Promenade spill about $15 of M&Ms on the floor.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

We've taken grandkids on cruises before and have never bought the refreshment package.  I didn't really want them drinking pop all the time anyway and there is plenty of lemonade and some other free juices available as well as milk.  I never heard them say a thing about it, they were so busy enjoying everything else on the cruise. If you don't mention it, I bet he will never notice.