Pros/cons of picking one cruise line to stick with vs shopping around

pookel

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:

OK, I remembered why driving to SF and sailing with Princess is not appealing. Then I went back to look at the September sailing with Carnival and discovered: (1) it is sold out, and (2) the cabins and rate I booked under look pretty good after all!

SLC to SF isn't as far as I thought it would be, but still a long drive.   Driving to SF, do you have a stop over point or push through?

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

SLC to SF isn't as far as I thought it would be, but still a long drive.   Driving to SF, do you have a stop over point or push through?

We're minimum 5hrs from SLC and having driven I-80 across Nevada once I would avoid it! Geologists call it "Basin and Range for a reason! Very tedious! 

We would probably take the slightly longer route I-70 to I-15 to route 58, spending nights in Mesquite and Bakersfield and SF of course.

However it is the ship/cabin choices and cruise itinerary on Princess that just don't seem desirable! 10-days (11 in 2024) and only calling on Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway - whereas Carnival Miracle r/t LA is 14 days with those ports PLUS Sitka and Icy Strait Point. 

9 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

When we started cruising (early 80's), we got addicted. Never thought I could enjoy this type of vacation.

We had no idea about "loyalty/reward points"...we were young, had limited vacation time, and not much money. We simply chose the cheapest cruise we can afford, during the time we can go. Didn't matter where.

We ended up sailing on many cruiselines...and have genuinely fond memories from all of them. We truly have not had a bad cruise.

When we got older and had more time and money...we started cruising more often. It was fun sailing on so many different ships. It took us years to learn about "loyalty" and thankful to our British friend (Gordon) who introduced us to Cruise Critic.

Ultimately, we gravitated to Princess, Celebrity, and Royal Caribbean. We are grateful for all the perks and benefits we have received from these cruiselines. I

* Our favorite cruise was on Renaissance Cruises...South Pacific/French Polynesia...regrettably, this cruiseline no longer exist. The ships (R3/R4) are now part of Azamara...and we will be cruising on Azamara in 2024.

* Our most sentimental cruise was on Celebrity Millenium...12n, Istanbul to Barcelona...my mom and dad were with us. They have both since passed away...rest in peace. I think of them every time we are on a ship.

On our early cruises loyalty points were not even on the radar.  Well, we may have thought how nice it was for those folks over there  in the shorter line, but it wasn't something we thought much about.  

We also appreciate the perks and it did take us years to earn some on the same three lines you mention.  Typically we are able to get what we want & enjoy on one of our preferred lines.        

6 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

We're minimum 5hrs from SLC and having driven I-80 across Nevada once I would avoid it! Geologists call it "Basin and Range for a reason! Very tedious! 

We would probably take the slightly longer route I-70 to I-15 to route 58, spending nights in Mesquite and Bakersfield and SF of course.

However it is the ship/cabin choices and cruise itinerary on Princess that just don't seem desirable! 10-days (11 in 2024) and only calling on Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway - whereas Carnival Miracle r/t LA is 14 days with those ports PLUS Sitka and Icy Strait Point. 

I just kind of picked SLC to get an idea on miles involved.   I can see how the southern route would be preferred depending on where you are starting.   

We just booked a May '23 SF-Alaska-SF on Princess. It is Sitka, Haines, Juneau, Tracy Arm Ford, and Victoria.  We have been to Juneau & Victoria.  Sitka and Haines will be new to us.   We kind of jumped on it because the price was good, our calendar was open, and we are very near the embark port.    

16 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We just booked a May '23 SF-Alaska-SF on Princess. It is Sitka, Haines, Juneau, Tracy Arm Ford, and Victoria.  We have been to Juneau & Victoria.  Sitka and Haines will be new to us.   

How odd! The ports change when you pick different dates! I will have to look at each date (for all four listings). May is such a nice month here in the high desert I would tend to pick a different month... Also May '23 is too early for my sis and mom because they need to see COVID resolved. But thanks for the heads up on checking those itineraries!

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

On our early cruises loyalty points were not even on the radar.  Well, we may have thought how nice it was for those folks over there  in the shorter line, but it wasn't something we thought much about.  

We also appreciate the perks and it did take us years to earn some on the same three lines you mention.  Typically we are able to get what we want & enjoy on one of our preferred lines.        

Exactly...no clue about loyalty...but if I may share how we found out...

On Princess, we played lots of trivia and made lots of friends. One of our trivia friends asked if I drank alcohol...I smiled and said "yes". The next time we met for trivia, he handed me a bagful of those small (plane size) liquor bottles. I happily accepted and asked him,  "where did you get all of these bottles"? He said, "young man, if you cruise more often...Princess gives them to you for free". (Yes, we get that free bar set-up now and often give away most of it.)

With Celebrity, we had access to Michael's Club (back in the day) and did not even know that was a loyalty perk.

The most amusing was with Royal Caribbean. Many years ago, while onboard,  I walked by a room and I could smell garlic. Curious (and hungry), I walked in but was immediately stopped by a uniformed crew member, she said " Sir, this is a private function". I apologized and left...thought it was a wedding onboard.

The next day, I walked by the same room and smelled garlic again. Again, I tried to see what was inside. But before I could get fartber in, I turned around and started walking out...the same gal saw me and asked "Sir, can I see your seapass card"? (I knew I was in trouble, she recognized me) 

Then she smiled after looking at my card and said "Oh! you're Diamond...you can come in...welcome back".  We had no clue about perks and benefits. 

* Joining Cruise Critic was the golden ticket...we've learned a lot, made less mistakes...many thanks to the wonderful members of Cruise Critic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Exactly...no clue about loyalty...but if I may share how we found out...

On Princess, we played lots of trivia and made lots of friends. One of our trivia friends asked if I drank alcohol...I smiled and said "yes". The next time we met for trivia, he handed me a bagful of those small (plane size) liquor bottles. I happily accepted and asked him,  "where did you get all of these bottles"? He said, "young man, if you cruise more often...Princess gives them to you for free". (Yes, we get that free bar set-up now and often give away most of it.)

With Celebrity, we had access to Michael's Club (back in the day) and did not even know that was a loyalty perk.

The most amusing was with Royal Caribbean. Many years ago, while onboard,  I walked by a room and I could smell garlic. Curious (and hungry), I walked in but was immediately stopped by a uniformed crew member, she said " Sir, this is a private function". I apologized and left...thought it was a wedding onboard.

The next day, I walked by the same room and smelled garlic again. Again, I tried to see what was inside. But before I could get fartber in, I turned around and started walking out...the same gal saw me and asked "Sir, can I see your seapass card"? (I knew I was in trouble, she recognized me) 

Then she smiled after looking at my card and said "Oh! you're Diamond...you can come in...welcome back".  We had no clue about perks and benefits. 

* Joining Cruise Critic was the golden ticket...we've learned a lot, made less mistakes...many thanks to the wonderful members of Cruise Critic.

That is funny.  While we didn't have aspirations, I think we were more aware of our status than you.  Even with being on so many cruises, I still learn a lot on cruise critic.  

On 12/12/2022 at 2:12 PM, pookel said:

I'm booked for my first cruise in January through Norwegian. Assuming I love it and want to do more cruises in the future, what are the advantages/disadvantages of sticking with Norwegian and racking up rewards points/loyalty tiers, vs shopping around with other cruise lines? How many different cruise lines have you sailed with, and how did you decide which lines to use? 

As you can see, there is a variety of answers.  Some really frown upon loyalty....so much so, they refuse to admit they are loyalists despite only sailing one line.  😉

Others say the perks aren't worth it.  I totally disagree with that.  At the upper tiers, the perks can be very beneficial.  I've sailed several lines and on the line I have the highest status, the benefits certainly are a great enhancement.  I can't remember the last time I paid for a drink on that line.  

But all that said, since this is your first cruise, I recommend playing the field first.  You might love NCL but not knowing what else is out there, you might miss out on better experiences if you don't try.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

As you can see, there is a variety of answers.  Some really frown upon loyalty....so much so, they refuse to admit they are loyalists despite only sailing one line.  😉

I did just read an AMA on Reddit from an experienced travel agent who said that if your primary concern is the drinks package then you want to go with NCL

Now I'm not saying drinks are ALL I care about ..... but that definitely plays a role in my decision, lol

2 hours ago, pookel said:

I did just read an AMA on Reddit from an experienced travel agent who said that if your primary concern is the drinks package then you want to go with NCL

Now I'm not saying drinks are ALL I care about ..... but that definitely plays a role in my decision, lol

I think that is baloney (although I have nothing against NCL).  If your primary concern is drinks, then you could always book with any luxury line that simply includes all drinks :).  But, these days, just about every cruise line offers multiple drink packages which are often discounted as part of booking packages.    In some cases a drink package is not a good deal so folks need to assess their own drinking habits and compare to the real value (not the value claimed by cruise lines) of a drink package.   Another major consideration should be the itinerary.  Folks on a cruise that is in a port every day will generally drink a lot less than those same folks on a cruise with many sea days.  In fact, several cruise lines used to not sell drink packages for trans Atlantic or Pacific cruises since they would lose money.  That has changed since drink packages are now usually pricey.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, pookel said:

I'm curious on what basis they make that recommendation?  

The only thing I know about the NCL program is that if you get it comped as part of your cruise package, you still have to pay the ~20% gratuties on the cost of it.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I'm curious on what basis they make that recommendation?  

The only thing I know about the NCL program is that if you get it comped as part of your cruise package, you still have to pay the ~20% gratuities on the cost of it.

I think basically that getting it through "free at sea" gives you a better deal than you get through other lines, even considering the gratuity. Like I paid around $350 total for my husband and I to both have the "ultimate" drinks package on a nine-day cruise. 

1 hour ago, pookel said:

I think basically that getting it through "free at sea" gives you a better deal than you get through other lines, even considering the gratuity. Like I paid around $350 total for my husband and I to both have the "ultimate" drinks package on a nine-day cruise. 

Well......in the end, nothing is "free".   Those costs are included somewhere.  And when other lines (Celebrity for example) throw in their basic drinks package, there is no additional gratuity payment.

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well......in the end, nothing is "free".   Those costs are included somewhere.  And when other lines (Celebrity for example) throw in their basic drinks package, there is no additional gratuity payment.

Of course it's paid for somewhere, I think their point was just that if you're someone who likes unlimited alcohol, you get a better overall deal from NCL than other lines. 

NCL has a pretty good gimmick going and it's amazing they've gotten away with calling it "free at sea" all this time.  In order to get those perks, you have to pay a higher room rate, and then you get hit with mandatory gratuities for both the alcohol and specialty restaurants.  There's nothing free about it.  

That said, sometimes the final cost is a better deal than on other lines and sometimes it isn't.  I can't say that I agree with what that TA said.  

• Like 1