Penalty for cancelling a cruise

weregoingcruising

6 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Generally $100 pp but I've had them waive before when I moved it to a different sailing instead of cancelling.    Worth a try asking.

If you are Elite or above, there is no charge (in UK) if you move to another sailing. However, they will only do it once per booking( you keep the same Booking number, that is transferred as well).

26 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Have you checked the cancellation policy on the Celebrity website that outlines the cancellation fees?

If your "NFD" means nonrefundable deposit, that term is self explanatory. 

Actually NRD is non-refundable to cash or credit card, but after the $100 pp fee they issue you a Future Cruise Certificate for the remainder.     I cancelled a cruise with 1,000 deposit and received a FCC for $800.    They told me if I waited and transferred to another cruise they would waive the $100 pp. 

In our case the difference between a NRD and a Fully Refundable is $1,500 to 3,000 for upper suites so makes sense. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/13/2022 at 5:47 PM, Jim_Iain said:

Generally $100 pp but I've had them waive before when I moved it to a different sailing instead of cancelling.    Worth a try asking.

I would be careful when X vacation planner offers to waive the $100 PP cancel/change fee.

As I wrote up in another thread, Celebrity retroactively attempted to charge me $1,200 in back change/move fees, but settled for $600.  I worked with a wonderful CVP for many years (he has since left), and when I moved a booking (during covid) he generally would waive the PP penalty (I fully understood the terms of the NRD).  Following the post covid re-opening (and I assume X looking hard at their balance sheet) I was routed to an overseas call center where one of their people charged me $1,200 retroactively for changes made to this specific booking number.  After making what I thought was a good argument, the rep received permission to cut it in half to $600.  My point being that a verbal waiver of the fee doesn't mean a thing unless you can prove that took place.  Just my personal experience, obviously, your milage may vary.

Bob

• Like 1