under 21 drinking question

20 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

They can cruise with you just not from North American ports, if the ability to get a drink is more important to them than spending time with their grandparents

They actually spend a lot of time with their grandparents and we have travelled together many times.  The last time we cruised together they were all under age (pre COVID), but we are ready for another whole family trip in the coming year.  Luckily there are options other than cruises.

Before we ever knew about Norwegian's policy we gave our kids the choice of what cruise line to sail on for a cruise we did in this age time frame. Two or the boys were 19 and 20 at that time and we gave them a choice between Celebrity, the old folks cruise line (their words) or Norwegian. At home our drinking age is 19 so both were legal in Ontario so not surprisingly all three chose Norwegian (the older two bribed their younger brother and we heard later he negotiated a really good price). It was not until after we had booked and paid for the cruise, did they present us with the waiver. 🖋️ 

Did I mention they were all straight A students. 😁

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, JeanieC,Aston said:

Old enough to fight and die in wars but not old enough to drink.

Treating young men as children.

Yes, "treating just those young men as children." Tsk-tsk-tsk 

The British Army opens all combat roles to women. – UK Land Power

https://uklandpower.com/2018/10/27/perspectives-on-the-british-army-opening-all-combat-roles-to-women/

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

On 12/15/2022 at 7:34 AM, 20165 said:

Wow, this question got a lot of air time. So, sounds like Celebrity doesnt have the same policy as NCL in regards to drinking under 21 with parents consent.  But ill throw another  fun question in, do you think our sons, 19-16yo mini bar will be stocked with liquor and beer?  They have their own room next to ours with only their names on the room.  And if/when they drink it, do you think the room steward will restock it?

Since they are underage the mini bar will be locked 

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Yes, "treating just those young men as children." Tsk-tsk-tsk 

The British Army opens all combat roles to women. – UK Land Power

https://uklandpower.com/2018/10/27/perspectives-on-the-british-army-opening-all-combat-roles-to-women/

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Correctly chastised,,,,mea culpa!,

My granddaughter joined the British Army and was told she would never be put in a front line combat unit,,,,,yes times did change.

4 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

Since they are underage the mini bar will be locked 

Ill take some of that action.  We board tomorrow so ill let you know.  9 times out of 10 they dont have the beds in the right configuration so them recognizing that there are 2 under 21 people in the room and locking the fridge is unlikely…

2 hours ago, 20165 said:

Ill take some of that action.  We board tomorrow so ill let you know.  9 times out of 10 they dont have the beds in the right configuration so them recognizing that there are 2 under 21 people in the room and locking the fridge is unlikely…

It was always locked when my kids were under 21 every cruise they took. Was just stating my experience. Just ask them to lock it or empty it 

9 minutes ago, Tyler414 said:

Have at it boys!!

Yep. Also we did ask at the customer service desk and they said they would allow him to drink with a waver outside of the us port. He also said the waiters will most likely let him drink wine at dinner. 

I live in Washington state where the legal drinking age as far I remember has been 21. Back in the early 1980's I remember Idaho having 19 as the legal drinking age. This changed in 1984. From what I remember is that the US government told the states to up the age to 21 or they would lose road funding. 

"The MLDA in the United States is 21 years.  However, prior to the enactment of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, the legal age when alcohol could be purchased varied from state to state."

"The 1984 National Minimum Drinking Age Act, [23 U.S.C. § 158], requires that States prohibit persons under 21 years of age from purchasing or publicly possessing alcoholic beverages as a condition of receiving State highway funds. A Federal regulation that interprets the Act excludes from the definition of "public possession," possession "for an established religious purpose; when accompanied by a parent, spouse or legal guardian age 21 or older; for medical purposes when prescribed or administered by a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, hospital or medical institution; in private clubs or establishments; or to the sale, handling, transport, or service in dispensing of any alcoholic beverage pursuant to lawful employment of a person under the age of twenty-one years by a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer of alcoholic beverages",  [23 C.F.R. § 1208.3]."

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Yep. Also we did ask at the customer service desk and they said they would allow him to drink with a waver outside of the us port. He also said the waiters will most likely let him drink wine at dinner. 

This goes against EVERYTHING others have experienced.  Can you please provide a photo of that waiver?

35 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

This goes against EVERYTHING others have experienced.  Can you please provide a photo of that waiver?

We’re in Ft. Lauderdale…. Last  I checked that’s a U.S. port 

Edited by 20165

7 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

I live in Washington state where the legal drinking age as far I remember has been 21. Back in the early 1980's I remember Idaho having 19 as the legal drinking age. This changed in 1984. From what I remember is that the US government told the states to up the age to 21 or they would lose road funding. 

"The MLDA in the United States is 21 years.  However, prior to the enactment of the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984, the legal age when alcohol could be purchased varied from state to state."

"The 1984 National Minimum Drinking Age Act, [23 U.S.C. § 158], requires that States prohibit persons under 21 years of age from purchasing or publicly possessing alcoholic beverages as a condition of receiving State highway funds. A Federal regulation that interprets the Act excludes from the definition of "public possession," possession "for an established religious purpose; when accompanied by a parent, spouse or legal guardian age 21 or older; for medical purposes when prescribed or administered by a licensed physician, pharmacist, dentist, nurse, hospital or medical institution; in private clubs or establishments; or to the sale, handling, transport, or service in dispensing of any alcoholic beverage pursuant to lawful employment of a person under the age of twenty-one years by a duly licensed manufacturer, wholesaler, or retailer of alcoholic beverages",  [23 C.F.R. § 1208.3]."

Interestingly enough, the" minimum legal drinking age act" dealt with the legal age for PURCHASING alcohol, NOT the legal age for CONSUMING alcohol. So aside from quoting some legislation, I'm not certain of your point. 

30 minutes ago, D C said:

Interestingly enough, the" minimum legal drinking age act" dealt with the legal age for PURCHASING alcohol, NOT the legal age for CONSUMING alcohol. So aside from quoting some legislation, I'm not certain of your point. 

If under 21 it is illegal to purchase or POSSESS alcoholic beverages.  Think his point was it is really pretty much impossible to consume without possessing.  That includes being illegal to have a blood alcohol above 0.0 if under 21.

Some rude posting and personal attacks.  Also do not believe a waiver would be on a US cruise to anyone under 21.  As others said need proof on that one.

11 hours ago, D C said:

My point is that our nation decided in 1984 to change the drinking age to 21. Florida used to be age 18. Personal I think it should be 18. It also mentions ways to give your under 21 alcohol. I dont see a waver mention.

11 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

My point is that our nation decided in 1984 to change the drinking age to 21. Florida used to be age 18. Personal I think it should be 18. It also mentions ways to give your under 21 alcohol. I dont see a waver mention.

And the 1984 legislation did NOT impose a legal drinking age.  No waiver needed to legally consume alcohol while under 21 in the eyes of the federal government. Purchase and public possession are the only two things disallowed at the federal level. 

Ok so here’s how it actually works.on apex right now and after 2 days our experience is the servers just ask us if we are ok with our 19 yo drinking. However i don’t think they would serve him if we weren’t with him given they do know he’s only 19 and they do ask every time.  At dinner we just order a bottle of wine and they serve him no questions asked.  They actually tried to serve our 16yo but we stopped that. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 20165 said:

Ok so here’s how it actually works.on apex right now and after 2 days our experience is the servers just ask us if we are ok with our 19 yo drinking. However i don’t think they would serve him if we weren’t with him given they do know he’s only 19 and they do ask every time.  At dinner we just order a bottle of wine and they serve him no questions asked.  They actually tried to serve our 16yo but we stopped that. 

That makes sense to me…might be too easy for some to handle. 

• Like 1