Heard rumors about drink vouchers

Ret MP

On 12/17/2022 at 10:57 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

And I maintain that the best thing for the customer would be to have X number of drinks awarded on Day 1 /to be used any time on the cruise.  I really do think a fair number of cruisers would zip through them and pay for more later. 

TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU!!!

Diamond+

Why not just give me 5 vouchers per day X number of days (cruise) and let me decide when to use them. What difference would that make? This way, I may only want 3 drinks one day and want 7 another day. It would still amount to 5 vouchers per day X number of cruise days. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 9:57 AM, Mum2Mercury said:

And I maintain that the best thing for the customer would be to have X number of drinks awarded on Day 1 /to be used any time on the cruise.  I really do think a fair number of cruisers would zip through them and pay for more later. 

And some wouldn't use all of them, not many, I admit that.  Win win for Royal

So, I have searched but I have not been able to find the answer. We leave Friday on Allure, and it is only our second sailing since Covid. I know we get the drink vouchers loaded on our card, but a friend told me that some drinks costs $1-2 on top of the voucher. Is there a limit to the dollar amount when using the vouchers?  She said she had to pay extra for some of the frozen drinks. Thanks in advance for your reply. 
Valerie

2 minutes ago, vssy said:

So, I have searched but I have not been able to find the answer. We leave Friday on Allure, and it is only our second sailing since Covid. I know we get the drink vouchers loaded on our card, but a friend told me that some drinks costs $1-2 on top of the voucher. Is there a limit to the dollar amount when using the vouchers?  She said she had to pay extra for some of the frozen drinks. Thanks in advance for your reply. 
Valerie

Vouchers cover anything up to $14, the only way your friend would have to pay anything out of pocket for a frozen drink is if they got a "souvenir take home" cup.

I wish what Royal would do is to sell the drink package depending on your status.  Before I get flamed hear me out.  On our last cruise in November, we drank as usual purchasing a few beers during the afternoon and in the evening when we used our coupons.  We started the day with a Cesar on the coupons then in the evening before and after dinner the remaining drinks on coupons.  Only one or 2 nights we purchased a Guinness for a nightcap.  In total we spent $33 each on drinks per day on that cruise.  So if Royal would sell me a drink package for even $40, I would probably buy it.  Not for $75.99. 

Or $75.99 - ($14 X 5) = $5.99 difference if I didn't purchase anymore beverages.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Vouchers cover anything up to $14, the only way your friend would have to pay anything out of pocket for a frozen drink is if they got a "souvenir take home" cup.

Thanks so much!  I just knew I never had to pay on our cruise in August. 
Valerie

12 hours ago, Magicat said:

I wish what Royal would do is to sell the drink package depending on your status.  Before I get flamed hear me out.  On our last cruise in November, we drank as usual purchasing a few beers during the afternoon and in the evening when we used our coupons.  We started the day with a Cesar on the coupons then in the evening before and after dinner the remaining drinks on coupons.  Only one or 2 nights we purchased a Guinness for a nightcap.  In total we spent $33 each on drinks per day on that cruise.  So if Royal would sell me a drink package for even $40, I would probably buy it.  Not for $75.99. 

Or $75.99 - ($14 X 5) = $5.99 difference if I didn't purchase anymore beverages.

You know [and this thread probably not the place to say], I've always found these drink package deals to be outrageous?  I can't imagine anyone drinking enough alcohol to make it cost effective...even close.  I may be able to cover, perhaps, one day...even two...but all seven or more days of a standard cruise?  But we suppose people do buy these packages or they wouldn't sell them.  Just a mystery to us.  

But I'll go one further.  I might even consider purchasing a drink package if it was only myself who had to buy it just for the convenience of not having to 'think' when one orders a drink.  But the two of us [me and wife] in a cabin...uh, no way.  Yes, I know the reason is that people would use their package to buy for others...but it often almost doubles the cruise cost for us...so again, no way.  But one wonders if a cruise line might actually make more profit if they DID sell them to individuals [and not all stateroom occupants] that they might increase sales even with the abuses?  Anyway, I've always wanted to log this disbelief at the pricing of these drink packages and amazement that ANYONE would purchase 'em.  So...now logged, ha.  I see no value there at all. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Magicat said:

They kinda do, but it is based off the non discounted sale price, so it really doesn't even match a typical sale price.

I believe these are the posted discounts

Pin 40%

D+ 30%

D 20%

5 hours ago, LinRon3 said:

You know [and this thread probably not the place to say], I've always found these drink package deals to be outrageous?  I can't imagine anyone drinking enough alcohol to make it cost effective...even close.  I may be able to cover, perhaps, one day...even two...but all seven or more days of a standard cruise?  But we suppose people do buy these packages or they wouldn't sell them.  Just a mystery to us. 

When they are running in the low $50's they are cost effective to many people, especially red wine drinkers. Only takes 4 glasses of wine to hit the $56 dollar mark (assuming DBP covers up to $14 now), as my wine of choice is $15 a glass (just pay the slight difference). Add in fresh OJ, waters, soda's, a beer or two, and a pina colada tossed in, and it makes sense. At $80 a day, better off bringing 2 bottles of wine, and ordering the rest by the bottle, drink the regular OJ, water from tap or WJ station, and lemonade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

Most of the people that I saw using their vouchers on the Wonder must tip the bartenders at the end of the cruise.  I didn't see much money changing hands😇

I fold up dollar bills and hand them over with my seapass. Pretty inconspicuous as I feel no need to put on a show for anyone.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I fold up dollar bills and hand them over with my seapass. Pretty inconspicuous as I feel no need to put on a show for anyone.

If in a line and I see others not tipping, I usually add a dollar or 2. They usually then had seapass back to me w/o scanning with a thank you.

• Like 2

On 12/27/2022 at 7:47 AM, molly361 said:

What happened to signing for your voucher drinks?  Just off the Wonder and never signed any slips for any voucher drink.

I think I read in this forum that there was a new system that was going to have, on the receipt/slip, what the number of drinks you have left for the day OR how many you have had for the day so far, I don't remember which.  I can't speak from experience of what is actually happening, yet.  But, I do remember a post saying that!  Don't know if it has always been that way or if it doesn't exist at all or if it is still being implemented. 

This is not intended to start a discussion on tipping, but we tip a dollar per drink on our drink coupons.  We get 5 each, so at the beginning of the day I slip 10 ones in my pocket.  When I run out of ones, we have run out of coupons.  That's how we keep track.  Our other drink purchases have no additional tip as there is 18% included.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thank heavens they have made this change.  I used to always bring a couple of bottles of wine onto the ship. Yes, this is permitted. Two per cabin.  But I like to keep that wine for enjoying on the balcony. I used to have to run to the Diamond Lounge when it opened.  Get my glasses of wine or cocktail and believe me they were limited in terms of variety.  Bring that to dinner and if I wanted more wine, I would have to skip up to the lounge once again to get another glass of wine (all this between 4 and 8 pm. (Yes, we are cheap, but this allowed us to cruise four or five times per year. Why waste money on booze.  Ha ha.  This new change sounds much better.  We will check it out at the end of January on our first cruise since the start of Covid and see how it works.  I am hoping I can get my wine directly from the waiter in the dining room.   My husband does not drink so I get all of his too.

• Like 1