Alcohol allowance on Windstar

Nearpost345

• 3 weeks later...

I'm confused! I read that we are only allowed to bring 3 bottles of wine on per cruise and that we will be charged corkage if we want to drink it with our meal. That is certainly what happened on our last Windstar cruise 6 months ago.

This from the Setting Sail guide.....we board on Saturday!

Alcohol On Board For voyages of 7 or fewer days, guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom for their enjoyment on board. For voyages of 8 or more days, guests may bring 3 bottles on board per stateroom or suite. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship’s purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to their onboard account.

17 minutes ago, Mocamps said:

Alcohol On Board For voyages of 7 or fewer days, guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom for their enjoyment on board. For voyages of 8 or more days, guests may bring 3 bottles on board per stateroom or suite.

That's what we do at the beginning of each cruise and then we sometimes bring some back from port and usually that's not a problem but I guess depends on who's manning the Xray machine (we did it twice on our last cruise in November, no issue) and yes if you bring it to any beverage outlet/dining room, they will charge a $15 corkage fee which I don't mind paying but sometimes gets forgotten. 

I've bought wine at intermediate ports and have had similar experience to others - I've brought it on board and they haven't said anything about it. I haven't tried to sneak it on or anything. It's mostly been bottles that I intended to bring home and if they had wanted to hold it for me until the end of the cruise would have been fine with that. Occasionally it has been a bottle to drink in the room or take to the dining room a pay corkage - but in that case not more than the 2 or three bottles allowed per cruise. 

Occasionally, I've bought a small bottle of an unusual local spirit (e.g. mastika from Greece). They checked my bag on boarding and didn't say anything about it either. 

• 3 months later...

Getting on the Star Legend soon, so a question.

Has anyone who was recently onboard the Legend seen a sign like the one I photographed on the Star Breeze last December?

On 12/17/2022 at 2:12 PM, Nearpost345 said:

Just saw this by gangway to Start Breeze. I’m never certain about the rules, but a sign nailed to the wall hopefully means the rules won’t change for a while.

846635A3-F903-4431-A199-D46EAE2CB51D.jpeg

On 1/2/2023 at 10:27 AM, Mocamps said:

This from the Setting Sail guide.....we board on Saturday!

Alcohol On Board For voyages of 7 or fewer days, guests may bring aboard 2 bottles of wine or champagne per stateroom for their enjoyment on board. For voyages of 8 or more days, guests may bring 3 bottles on board per stateroom or suite. All additional alcohol, including those bottles purchased at ports of call along the cruise route, will be kept by the ship’s purser and delivered to your room the last evening of the voyage. Guests may consume the outside beverages in the dining room, but a small corkage fee will be applied to their onboard account.

Yeah, from my experience that's pretty stand practice on most cruise lines.  I'm not sure what the "news" is here?

Mnocket, I think the policy that you quoted contradicts the sign posted by the gangway on the breeze. Is it just me or does the sign indicate that you may bring wine on board for consumption (corkage fee if consumed in public, restaurant etc). 

Sorry, I should have added that the sign suggests that you can pick up bottles of wine at ports along the way for consumption, just like the ones you’re allowed at embarkation. That of course is a contradiction to what is written in the setting sail guide. 

3 hours ago, Nearpost345 said:

Sorry, I should have added that the sign suggests that you can pick up bottles of wine at ports along the way for consumption, just like the ones you’re allowed at embarkation. That of course is a contradiction to what is written in the setting sail guide. 

And neither are likely exactly the same as what goes down on the ships – which may vary from ship to ship.

Does anyone know if B2B cruises allow you to carry on wine at the start of the first cruise and then again on the second leg?

We're doing B2B Australia/NZ cruises in December.  Our particular cruise is booked as one event but both legs are also available as separate cruises.  Since we hope to pick up some of the local wines it would be wonderful if we could 'restock' mid-way.

I have never had a problem bringing wine onboard from ports. I brought on 5 bottles in Lisbon, in Italy and Croatia I brought on two or three bottles on different days. You have to pay corkage if you drink it in the dining room but they are fine with it. Not sure what you mean by “stocking up”. But then each ship May handle things differently. One hotel manager said it was a requirement for ships to have an alcohol policy but as long as it doesn’t become a problem they wouldn’t make it a problem.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2023 at 6:11 PM, CnV said:

Does anyone know if B2B cruises allow you to carry on wine at the start of the first cruise and then again on the second leg?

We're doing B2B Australia/NZ cruises in December.  Our particular cruise is booked as one event but both legs are also available as separate cruises.  Since we hope to pick up some of the local wines it would be wonderful if we could 'restock' mid-way.

On the Star Pride from San Juan this January, no problem buying some wine in San Juan on our middle day in a 7+7 b2b. As we left the ship that morning the captain was on his way out to spend the day with his family. As we talked , I mentioned we were on our way to walk around in Old San Juan and to buy a few wines. He didn’t bat an eye! 

Live from The Star Legend, and having zero problems bringing wine back to the ship. If you board on deck four, they have the same wine allowance sign (unlimited) as the sign I posted earlier in this thread. As usual everything is superb on here, beautiful crew.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

So we know wine is permitted to be brought on board during a cruise on the motor yachts. We’re Heading off on The Wind Surf soon. Can anybody attest to being permitted to bring wine on board a Windstar SAILING SHIP (sorry for shouting ) during the cruise. 

Thank you 

If you take it to the dining room, you will pay a small corkage fee. They also aren’t crazy about bringing your already opened bottle to the bar to drink. However, we often walk around with a glass from the cabin.

Thank you. Yeh I’d hate to put them in an awkward position, My first  evening ever on board I showed up at Amphora in shorts. The tortured look on their faces as they reluctantly turned me away was endearing. Love the crew.

Edited by Nearpost345