I WONDER about a few things ...

We are booking Wonder of the Seas -- not just us, but family members too -- and I have a couple questions:  

- We'll be 4-5 rooms /probably 12 people.  How do I "hook our numbers together" for dinner reservations?  

- Does Johnny Rockets do breakfast on Wonder?  Is it no cost?  

- Talk to me about that "room key depository" at the door.  Exactly what does this do?  Do I remember reading you could input an old gift card or something?  

- We are looking at a Promenade View room -- loved it on our recent Indy cruise.  On Indy we were on the 6th floor and had a great spot for "people watching" and a front-row seat by the "entertainment bridge" where musicians played.  For our upcoming cruise, we can get a 7th floor room.  How does this compare? 

- Do Wonder TVs "swing out" on a hinge to angle towards the TV?  My husband enjoyed watching soccer world cup from the window seat on our last cruise. 

- The storage in this room makes me a little nervous -- the closet is gone /replaced with wardrobes, which don't look as large.  Any comments from someone who's been on Wonder?  We usually open our suitcase in the bottom of the closet /use it as a hamper; doesn't look like that'll work on Wonder. 

- On such a big ship, how's embarkation /disembarkation?  Any hints on making this smoother?  We will sail out of Port Canaveral. 

- We're experienced cruisers but have never been on a ship this big.  Anything else we should anticipate about Wonder?  

Thanks, All.  

The closet on symphony, harmony and wonder are so much better than the old style. No your suitcase will not lay on floor but it provides so much room. 
yes, the TVs swivel. 
yes, Johnny Rockets has breakfast for free. 
deck 7 is not great but with promenade view you may have to. The back of deck 7 does not go through. You have to go up or down a level to get across ship. 
Oasis class ships are our favorite. A great ship overall. 

Edited by renza

48 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We are booking Wonder of the Seas

Johnny Rockets offers a complimentary breakfast. But they have added an upcharge to some of the more popular items. 

image.thumb.png.c30236333605c07eca2d9eb118b1b91d.png

To give you a peek at the Wonder, check out my live post from her maiden voyage. (Note a few things on this post were because it was the maiden voyage (e.g., steak and lobster at the Windjammer buffet)). She's a beautiful ship and I hope that you really enjoy your cruise!

Edited by BirdTravels

I was recently on the TA. I can answer some questions. First, check YouTube for videos. It will give you some answers about the ship and cabins.

1) Have your TA or Royal, whichever you use, link all your reservation numbers. That should link your dinner, if you have traditional dining. If Specialty, you will just need to make reservations, with all the cabin numbers when you reserve.

2] Already answered

3) You can put any type of card in the slot. Sometimes I used the cabin steward card he gave me, sometimes he left a blank card in there. Just remember if you are charging items, leave the card in slot.

4) Can’t answer your cabin location. I had an interior Central Park view cabin and loved it.

5) Answered, although I don’t remember mine swinging out.

6) Your suitcase will fit upright, depending on size, but not laying flat. I just put dirty clothes in suitcase under bed. I travel solo, and had more than enough room, and I was on ship for 2 weeks.

7) Our embark/debark was a bit different for the TA, so won’t address that.

Personally, I loved the Wonder. Lots of things to do and see, and I wouldn’t hesitate going back.

Edited by crzndeb

The slot is not a room key depository, it is a master switch that controls the lights and AC.  A card must be in the slot for the AC to work and for all the lights to work.  If there isn't a card in the slot, you get some low ambient lighting and the circulation fan works, no cooling.  

We prefer the wardrobes that are now in the newer designed cabins and my 30" softsided suitcase does fit in the bottom of the wardrobe that does not have the shelving in it.

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

The slot is not a room key depository, it is a master switch that controls the lights and AC.  A card must be in the slot for the AC to work and for all the lights to work.  If there isn't a card in the slot, you get some low ambient lighting and the circulation fan works, no cooling.  

We prefer the wardrobes that are now in the newer designed cabins and my 30" softsided suitcase does fit in the bottom of the wardrobe that does not have the shelving in it.

Last cruise on Quantum we used the room stewards card for the power switch, he replaced it the first night with a white plastic card that was there the whole cruise. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Last cruise on Quantum we used the room stewards card for the power switch, he replaced it the first night with a white plastic card that was there the whole cruise. 

We have used their business card too. Anthem had the white card in the slot last time we sailed that ship. 

3 hours ago, renza said:

The closet on symphony, harmony and wonder are so much better than the old style. No your suitcase will not lay on floor but it provides so much room. 
yes, the TVs swivel. 
yes, Johnny Rockets has breakfast for free. 
deck 7 is not great but with promenade view you may have to. The back of deck 7 does not go through. You have to go up or down a level to get across ship. 
Oasis class ships are our favorite. A great ship overall. 

Lots of good information.  

This "7th deck doesn't go through" is news to me, though I have experienced this concept on different ships.  So, looking at the 7th floor deck plans (link below), here's my question:  Where is the break in the hallway?  

- If my room is fairly near the forward elevators, I could walk aft towards 7587, right?  

- But would I be able to walk from 7587 to the aft elevators?  

- Could I walk past the aft elevators towards the rock climbing wall?  

- Given that my husband has a moderate problem with mobility, this matters to me a great deal, and I very much appreciate your info, Renza, on 7th floor not being one big circular pathway.  I really need to know about the room I'm choosing, and I may need to go elsewhere.  

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/wonder-of-the-seas/deck-plans/2183/07 

2 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Johnny Rockets offers a complimentary breakfast. But they have added an upcharge to some of the more popular items. 

image.thumb.png.c30236333605c07eca2d9eb118b1b91d.png

To give you a peek at the Wonder, check out my live post from her maiden voyage. (Note a few things on this post were because it was the maiden voyage (e.g., steak and lobster at the Windjammer buffet)). She's a beautiful ship and I hope that you really enjoy your cruise!

Good info about breakfast.  I see that Wonder has quite a few no-charge eating venues -- I assume this is about avoiding overcrowding in the Windjammer.  

BirdTravel, I will read your live post from Wonder as soon as I finish here -- should be helpful!  

2 hours ago, crzndeb said:

I was recently on the TA. I can answer some questions. First, check YouTube for videos. It will give you some answers about the ship and cabins.

1) Have your TA or Royal, whichever you use, link all your reservation numbers. That should link your dinner, if you have traditional dining. If Specialty, you will just need to make reservations, with all the cabin numbers when you reserve.

2] Already answered

3) You can put any type of card in the slot. Sometimes I used the cabin steward card he gave me, sometimes he left a blank card in there. Just remember if you are charging items, leave the card in slot.

4) Can’t answer your cabin location. I had an interior Central Park view cabin and loved it.

5) Answered, although I don’t remember mine swinging out.

6) Your suitcase will fit upright, depending on size, but not laying flat. I just put dirty clothes in suitcase under bed. I travel solo, and had more than enough room, and I was on ship for 2 weeks.

7) Our embark/debark was a bit different for the TA, so won’t address that.

Personally, I loved the Wonder. Lots of things to do and see, and I wouldn’t hesitate going back.

We can only "link" our dinners if we have traditional dining?  That makes sense; if we all have My Time, we could just make same-time ressies.  But, from what you're saying, I'm guessing we should go with traditional.  I personally prefer MyTime, but perhaps traditional is more reasonable for a group -- and half our group is British, so their tummies will be five hours ahead of our American bellies.  I suspect they'd prefer 5:30.  

Good info on charging items.  

Has anyone had a Promenade View AND a Central Park View?  I'd be interested to hear your comparison.  

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Master switch that controls the lights and AC.  That's clear now.  

Glad to hear that a 30" suitcase fits in the no-shelving wardrobe.  Judging from YouTube videos, I had believed the wardrobe to be smaller.  Thanks for a solid number.  

25 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

Let me be perfectly sure of what you (and others) are saying:  Any card will work.  So if I drop an empty gift card into my document bag, I'll be able to leave it in the Power Switch for the whole cruise?  

THANK YOU SO MUCH, ALL.  You have been most helpful, though I may be back later with more questions.  Oh, who am I kidding?  I'll definitely be back with more questions.  

6 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This "7th deck doesn't go through" is news to me, though I have experienced this concept on different ships.  So, looking at the 7th floor deck plans (link below), here's my question:  Where is the break in the hallway?  

It only affects the aft hallway.

At the forward elevators  you can pass from port to starboard...just not at the aft elevator banks. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

52 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

It only affects the aft hallway.

At the forward elevators  you can pass from port to starboard...just not at the aft elevator banks. 

Okay, I know I'm fixating on this, but -- as I said -- my husband has minor mobility issues, and it really matters to me.  So do I understand: 

- The traffic pattern /hallways on 7th floor are like an upside down "U". 

- You could walk from the left-side Rock Climbing Wall ... down the hallway past the left-side aft elevators ... past rooms ... past the left-side forward elevators ... to the right-side forward elevators ... past rooms ... past the right-side aft elevators ... back to the right-side Rock Climbing Wall. 

- You cannot "cross over" from one aft elevator to the other.

- You could see one Rock Climbing Wall from the other, but you could not walk from one to the other.  

If I understand correctly, I'm FINE with this traffic pattern.  

Looking at pictures of the Wonder's Promenade, I note that the windows in the Promenade View rooms aren't bay windows.  I particularly liked that on Indy.  

I'm getting the idea that Promenade Cafe (which we know and enjoy) is essentially the same as the Park Cafe ... they're just two places to accommodate the large numbers of guests?  

Edited by Mum2Mercury

13 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I'm getting the idea that Promenade Cafe (which we know and enjoy) is essentially the same as the Park Cafe ... they're just two places to accommodate the large numbers of guests?  

You are getting the wrong idea.  Promenade Cafe has pastries in the morning, little sandwiches and cookies/desserts the rest of the day, as well as coffee/tea/etc.  Park Cafe has bagels/cream cheese/lox, breakfast sandwiches, fruit cups, pastries in the morning.  At lunch, it has the Kummelweck sandwiches, paninis, made to order salads, premade salads, soups, chips, desserts and more I am not remembering.  

1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We can only "link" our dinners if we have traditional dining?  That makes sense; if we all have My Time, we could just make same-time ressies.  But, from what you're saying, I'm guessing we should go with traditional

I usually pick MTD, since I’m solo, but I never eat in MDR. I will be on the Navigator for New Years with 2 daughters and 2 grandkids, and we picked early traditional, since MTD is a bit of a cluster**** right now and I don’t like eating that late.

8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Okay, I feel secure about Deck 7 now.  No surprises, and I am FINE with that traffic pattern.  

I'm also clear on Promenade Cafe and Park Cafe.  

Thanks to ALL!  

Just know that Wonder is MUCH larger than you probably realize and the hike from deck 7 aft, up to the forward elevators is a long haul, especially if someone has mobility issues.  

47 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You are getting the wrong idea.  Promenade Cafe has pastries in the morning, little sandwiches and cookies/desserts the rest of the day, as well as coffee/tea/etc.  Park Cafe has bagels/cream cheese/lox, breakfast sandwiches, fruit cups, pastries in the morning.  At lunch, it has the Kummelweck sandwiches, paninis, made to order salads, premade salads, soups, chips, desserts and more I am not remembering.  

+ bags of chips.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Just know that Wonder is MUCH larger than you probably realize and the hike from deck 7 aft, up to the forward elevators is a long haul, especially if someone has mobility issues.  

Staying on deck 7 is not the big issue some feel it is.  All you have to do it be aware of which elevator bank to take since you can't cross over at the rear elevators due to the Boardwalk sign above the doors to the Boardwalk on deck 6.  We have stayed on deck 7 and only messed up once all week.  If they do happen to take the wrong set of elevators, they can just go up or down one deck, cross over and take the other set to deck 7.  We just used the stairs but they could easily use the elevator.

54 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

6 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

+ bags of chips.

Can't have too many chips! 😄 

• Haha 1

We were on Wonder for Thanksgiving and it was full.  Embarkation and debarkation went smooth, they know what they are doing.  As for elevators use the forward bank of elevators whenever possible.  We found them much quicker and we were in a cabin at the stern.  My uninformed opinion is there are a bunch of venues at the stern near the elevators so a lot of people use the stern elevator bank.  If you look at the deck plans you will see what I mean Windjammer, Mason Jar, MDR's, sports deck, etc all right off the stern elevator bank on multiple floors, which means lots of stops up/down.  You will either "love it or hate it" being on a mega-ship.  We went the first time on Oasis as a "family obligation" and just knew we weren't going to like it.  Since then it's been another Oasis, Allure, and Wonder.      

1 hour ago, rockmom said:

We're not looking at Deck 7 aft -- I'm just trying to understand the traffic flow.  

Now I'm thinking about a different room; this is how I am, Y'all.  I have to go through ALL MY OPTIONS, but once I make up my mind, I'll not waiver.  Now I'm looking at Balcony 6328 -- I'm attaching an image.   Here's my question:  Now it'll be me, my husband AND our daughter sharing.  If we were to get this room, would this hallway "open into" the 6th floor public area?  Specifically, would we have near-access to two public bathrooms?  If so, this might be a rather ideal room.  If not, we're going to look at a similar room on the other side of Deck 6.  

Thanks for any info you can share.  

1 hour ago, reallyitsmema said:

Can't have too many chips! 😄 

I always bring two cans of Pringles on a cruise -- snacks that usually aren't allowed in our house!  

47 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

... As for elevators use the forward bank of elevators whenever possible ... You will either "love it or hate it" being on a mega-ship ...

In my opinion, the "best" set of elevators depends upon your cabin location, but -- yes -- I agree that most of the things that we use are at the back of the ship.  

I'll also admit that I didn't pick Wonder.  My husband and I love the mid-sized ships:  Freedom, Liberty, Explorer, Indy, etc.  But this is a family trip, and I was outvoted.  I've been promised I get to pick the next family trip ship.  Will I -- like you -- love the mega-mega?  Dunno just yet.  

Thanks so much, All, for your advice.  You're really helping me make up my mind. 

Screenshot 2022-12-18 6.08.30 PM.png

29 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

In my opinion, the "best" set of elevators depends upon your cabin location, but -- yes -- I agree that most of the things that we use are at the back of the ship.  

Sadly, looks like the stern elevators might work the best for you.  If we were anywhere near mid-ships we walked to the front elevators.  We were in 1832 and waited forever for an elevator to come up there most of the time.  

58 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If we were to get this room, would this hallway "open into" the 6th floor public area? 

I’m not 100% on this, but it looks like those restrooms are only accessible from outside on deck 6. It looks like you only open up to a hallway, and your nearest exit out, will be by aft elevators. I’m not sure if any noise from Playmakers would affect those cabins, since there is a hallway between. Maybe someone who has actually stayed on deck 6 in those cabins would be able to answer better.

Edited by crzndeb

2 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I’m not 100% on this, but it looks like those restrooms are only accessible from outside on deck 6. It looks like you only open up to a hallway, and your nearest exit out, will be by aft elevators. I’m not sure if any noise from Playmakers would affect those cabins, since there is a hallway between. 

If Wonder is the same as other Oasis class ships, there is no access on deck 6 aft from the cabin corridor but there is access on deck 7.  Deck 7 cabin corridor opens out onto a public balcony overlooking the aqua theater, with an outside flight of stairs down to deck 6.  I would not want that cabin on deck 6 beside the bathroom because of the possible constant flushing of toilets behind from those bathrooms.  That common wall could have a lot of piping and constant water noise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Okay, I know I'm fixating on this, but -- as I said -- my husband has minor mobility issues, and it really matters to me.  So do I understand: 

- The traffic pattern /hallways on 7th floor are like an upside down "U". 

- You could walk from the left-side Rock Climbing Wall ... down the hallway past the left-side aft elevators ... past rooms ... past the left-side forward elevators ... to the right-side forward elevators ... past rooms ... past the right-side aft elevators ... back to the right-side Rock Climbing Wall. 

- You cannot "cross over" from one aft elevator to the other.

- You could see one Rock Climbing Wall from the other, but you could not walk from one to the other.  

If I understand correctly, I'm FINE with this traffic pattern.  

Looking at pictures of the Wonder's Promenade, I note that the windows in the Promenade View rooms aren't bay windows.  I particularly liked that on Indy.  

Two different places. Park cafe is in Central Park. Open till around 6pm. 

54 minutes ago, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

Sadly, looks like the stern elevators might work the best for you.  If we were anywhere near mid-ships we walked to the front elevators.  We were in 1832 and waited forever for an elevator to come up there most of the time.  

I'm not sad -- I have no problem with the aft elevators!  Maybe because we only cruise in off-season?  

29 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

I’m not 100% on this, but it looks like those restrooms are only accessible from outside on deck 6. It looks like you only open up to a hallway, and your nearest exit out, will be by aft elevators ... 

Yeah, I think you're right.  I spent some time obsessively watching You Tube videos, and I can see a door, but I think it's a crew door.  

As such, I've decided that another balcony on the opposite side of Deck 6 is "ours".  

22 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

I would not want that cabin on deck 6 beside the bathroom because of the possible constant flushing of toilets behind from those bathrooms.  That common wall could have a lot of piping and constant water noise.

Might be right.  

Again, THANKS TO ALL!  I feel like I'm closing in on the right spot.