Coral Princess turned away from NZ for biofouling

Over from NZ

What a dismal c%^k-up. I would be gutted and absolutely wild at Princess if I was onboard! 2 ports missed.. and turning up at another on X-mas day when everything is shut! What a shambles!  

https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/130847298/cruise-ship-too-dirty-for-milford-sound-after-sea-snails-found

• Thanks 1

We are on this cruise. We were told on Monday (it’s now Friday) that the ship was not being allowed to go to the first 2 (and best) stops as the hull needs to be cleaned. The ship had to meet divers outside of New Zealand waters to be cleaned. So it’s now Friday morning and the ship has been still since 5pm yesterday while this takes place (24 hours apparently) We have flown 13,000 miles to come and visit New Zealand (trip of a lifetime) and we are still on the ship. 
They have given us $100dollars (non refundable) to spend on the ship. What a joke. 
The captain still hasn’t told us the real reason for this cleaning, we just found it looking online. We are not happy, this holiday has cost us a lot of money and it was so we could see New Zealand. We might as well have saved a lot of money and flown 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, suejdee said:

We are on this cruise. We were told on Monday (it’s now Friday) that the ship was not being allowed to go to the first 2 (and best) stops as the hull needs to be cleaned. The ship had to meet divers outside of New Zealand waters to be cleaned. So it’s now Friday morning and the ship has been still since 5pm yesterday while this takes place (24 hours apparently) We have flown 13,000 miles to come and visit New Zealand (trip of a lifetime) and we are still on the ship. 
They have given us $100dollars (non refundable) to spend on the ship. What a joke. 
The captain still hasn’t told us the real reason for this cleaning, we just found it looking online. We are not happy, this holiday has cost us a lot of money and it was so we could see New Zealand. We might as well have saved a lot of money and flown 

Oh no! I am so sorry. 

1 hour ago, suejdee said:

I am so sorry. I hope they come up with a better reimbursement for you. You all deserve it.

1 hour ago, suejdee said:

You should have flown.. cruising isn't a great way to see NZ other than a small taste as a pre-cursor to flying over. However.. that's a story for another day. Really sorry for you. What a disappointment! And the compensation.. what a joke. 

I am so glad to hear that bio inspections work.  Imagine the damage that could have been done.  If we are not careful, Aoteroa/NZ will close cruising permanently which would be so sad.  Hopefully Princess will come through with better compensation since this was hardly beyond their control.  But again,I am glad it was caught before entering the national park.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Sounds like you need to find this woman Christine to help calm you down. She seems to have things in perfect perspective!

Sarcasm, of course. This is a really awful development.

image.png.a2ea835b061a1ac83bd39ea33b724ac6.png

This is Christine at your service 😂😂 I always aim to have a positive perspective but even my positivity is being tested today as my 83 year old Mum (my travelling companion) tested positive for COVID. Not the kind of positive we want!

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Outerdog said:

Sounds like you need to find this woman Christine to help calm you down. She seems to have things in perfect perspective!

Sarcasm, of course. This is a really awful development.

image.png.a2ea835b061a1ac83bd39ea33b724ac6.png

I don't disagree with the environmental protection concern, but seems to be Princess - or at least the Captain - should have anticipated such a situation and had the ship checked before heading to NZ, or had a planned cleaning before going there.  This is not like it's a new thing for Princess.  We did a trip to NZ out of Sydney once and never heard of the issue.

• Like 5

We too are onboard and particularly disappointed with Princess' honesty, particularly from the Captain.  At no time has he reported the existence of snails - just hull cleaning.  He also seems to place the "blame" on the "New Zealand authorities ".  Nothing to do with Princess and their (lack of) maintenance. 

We do feel really sorry for those who have travelled so far, only to miss the main attractions of this cruise

• Like 6

The NZ laws concerning ship cleaning are and have been pretty strict, but Princess has been sailing there for years. The cleaning requirement should not have been a surprise.  Snails or no snails there is also a time component since last cleaning.

This thread had been started earlier this week for the same topic, or I should say it was started before the cause of the itinerary change was known:  

Agree that the blame lies entirely on Princess.  I hope they reconsider their compensation and provide something more appropriate for the loss of two spectacular days in New Zealand. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, suejdee said:

That's just awful!

• Like 1

I had posted this in the other stream.  It does show the NZ biofouling rules.

It certainly should not have been a surprise. The only thing I can think of is if the ship had previously entered and thought that they were still in compliance.  

https://www.mpi.govt.nz/import/border-clearance/ships-and-boats-border-clearance/biofouling/biofouling-management/#:~:text=For long-stay vessels%2C the,barnacles and a slime layer.

Wasn't Princess fined for illegial dumping into Glacier Bay - https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/01/articles/cruise-pollution/princess-cruises-fined-for-dumping-66000-gallons-of-chlorinated-water-into-glacier-bay-in-alaska/.  

Then fined $40,000,00 for a 2nd illigial dumping.

"Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. (Princess) has agreed to plead guilty to seven felony charges stemming from its deliberate pollution of the seas and intentional acts to cover it up.  Princess will pay a $40 million penalty– the largest-ever criminal penalty involving deliberate vessel pollution – and plead guilty to charges related to illegal dumping of oil contaminated waste from the Caribbean Princess cruise ship.  "

And then a 3d time

"Today, Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. (Princess) and its parent, Carnival Cruise Lines & plc (together “Carnival”) were ordered to pay a $20 million criminal penalty and will be subject to enhanced supervision after admitting to violations of probation attributable to senior Carnival management in a case in which Princess had already paid $40 million."

And yet another time

"Princess Cruise Lines Pleads Guilty to Second Probation Violation Stemming from Historic 2017 Criminal Conviction"

In another post Princess was tied for being the worse cruise line in terms of pollution violations

Does anyone see a pattern here?

DON

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, donaldsc said:

Wasn't Princess fined for illegial dumping into Glacier Bay - https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2013/01/articles/cruise-pollution/princess-cruises-fined-for-dumping-66000-gallons-of-chlorinated-water-into-glacier-bay-in-alaska/.  

Then fined $40,000,00 for a 2nd illigial dumping.

"Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. (Princess) has agreed to plead guilty to seven felony charges stemming from its deliberate pollution of the seas and intentional acts to cover it up.  Princess will pay a $40 million penalty– the largest-ever criminal penalty involving deliberate vessel pollution – and plead guilty to charges related to illegal dumping of oil contaminated waste from the Caribbean Princess cruise ship.  "

And then a 3d time

"Today, Princess Cruise Lines Ltd. (Princess) and its parent, Carnival Cruise Lines & plc (together “Carnival”) were ordered to pay a $20 million criminal penalty and will be subject to enhanced supervision after admitting to violations of probation attributable to senior Carnival management in a case in which Princess had already paid $40 million."

And yet another time

"Princess Cruise Lines Pleads Guilty to Second Probation Violation Stemming from Historic 2017 Criminal Conviction"

In another post Princess was tied for being the worse cruise line in terms of pollution violations

Does anyone see a pattern here?

DON

Carnival, who is the parent company, has had major violations for the same thing. At one time I judge threatened them with being restricted from docking in any US port.

• Like 1

Viking had a ship with even a worse problem off the coast of Australia also needing cleaning before they will let the ship dock.  It was turned away from several ports.  Not just a CCL issue.  Maybe they have tightened up on enforcement this year.

5 hours ago, ldtr said:

Viking had a ship with even a worse problem off the coast of Australia also needing cleaning before they will let the ship dock.  It was turned away from several ports.  Not just a CCL issue.  Maybe they have tightened up on enforcement this year.

From what I have read, they missed Hobart, Christchurch and Dunedin!

On 12/22/2022 at 8:22 PM, ChristineMac said:

This is Christine at your service 😂😂 I always aim to have a positive perspective but even my positivity is being tested today as my 83 year old Mum (my travelling companion) tested positive for COVID. Not the kind of positive we want!

Aloha. Prayers for mom and good health.

7 hours ago, ldtr said:

I just read this: https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/jan/01/viking-orion-hundreds-of-passengers-stranded-on-cruise-ship-off-south-australia 

• Thanks 1

What a miserable experience for those passengers and keeping fingers crossed we have better luck on the Majestic 4 weeks from now. How irresponsible of the respective cruise lines. This will be our only shot at seeing NZ as well and feel the pain of those in the same situation who have waited years for this special journey.

10 hours ago, ldtr said:

Yes, this was an issue with a Viking ship.  However, have you heard how Viking is handling the situation?   Totally black and white from Princess.  

They are refunding everyone their money back plus 50% voucher.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triptkr said:

Yes, this was an issue with a Viking ship.  However, have you heard how Viking is handling the situation?   Totally black and white from Princess.  

They are refunding everyone their money back plus 50% voucher.

Quite a bit of difference in the impact between the two. Princess lost the sound and 1 port if I recall correctly, but the rest of the cruise went as scheduled, Viking basically missed 4 of 8 ports and has been stuck at sea for several days being denied access to Australian waters. Princess immediately scheduled cleaning at sea, Viking tried to get permission to clean the hull in NZ ports, and only after being denied, then tried going to Australia, and only after being denied entry into Australian waters arranged for cleaning at sea. So Viking is paying much more, but the impact was more extensive, and has gone on for a much longer period.

Under UK PTR Princess would not qualify as a major deviation, Viking certainly would.

Edited by ldtr