The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday December 22nd, 2022

richwmn

7 minutes ago, ClippyJoe said:

Jazzyv

I have underground utilities and I still lose power because of the nearby substation and /or transformers outside my neighborhood blowing out .Its usually a squirrel that gets the transformers but this morning we had very high winds here  (Oklahoma )and the lights etc were flickering off and on for quite some time.

Every time our power representative comes on TV and pushes underground utilities, I just yell at the TV. Its doesn't solve the problem but I do feel much better.

Thanks for the insight. Having never had underground utilities I thought they were bulletproof. The infrastructure here is old, so transformers seem to blow out all the time. I've lost lots of food due to long outages. I now have some portable batteries that will run the refrigerator or freezer for about a day or more, but they're not powerful enough to run a space heater for any length of time unfortunately.

• Like 9

Really important news. I'm glad to know that the U.S. Space Force is keeping track of this.

While much of the United States braces for an arctic blast set to bring widespread severe weather this holiday weekend, the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) wants to reassure citizens that Santa’s voyage will not be impacted by the storm.

“He’s ready to make his rounds,” Master Sgt. Ben Wiseman said in a phone interview from Peterson Space Force Base in Colorado Springs. “They’re prepared. They’re protected. They’re used to this weather.”

• Like 10
  • Haha 8

Thanks for all the daily information, and photos of today's port.

Thanks @richwmn for the locations of the Holland America Line fleet, and mentioning another New Zealand wine.

@Cruising-along am sorry that your DH was not prescribed  anti-nausea medications when his treatment began, hope that this is now remedied.

@rafinmd  Hope that you continue to feel well, and remain covid free.

Had a sunny morning, but clouding over, rain forecast, temperature 20 C.

Take care, stay safe everyone, the weather sounds horrid in North America.

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

Although I got my degree from Laverne College, I have never seen Laverne College.  Make sense?  When I was station at Cubi Pt, Philippines from 1973-1976 the Navy had a program where they would provide the classrooms and students and the college would send its instructors to teach Friday afternoon, all day Saturday and half a day Sunday.  You could get a degree in 2-3 years.  My last tour of duty was at Wahiawa, Hawaii from 1973-1979 and I did the same thing with another California school, Pepperdine University.  I earned a Masters Degree in Education at the time.  I retired as a Master Chief with a Masters Degree.  Never set foot on the Pepperdine campus either.

Ray

That's a terrific story Master Chief.  The LaVerne campus is very nice.  It is not unlike an eastern college integrated into the community.  Pepperdine is, of course, also a beautiful campus.  In Malibu?  Overlooking the Pacific?  What would you expect?

A lot of my college classmates were military vets studying engineering.  Many of them were electronic techs who had been trained in the military and were employed at one of the many defense industry facilities here in SoCal.  As a math major I had to take a year of Physics.  I was OK with the lecture portion, but the lab portion almost did me in--especially, E&M.  I would struggle to set up my equipment, but could not get results.  So, I'd walk over to Pat Francomano's station or Jack McGuire's station to see how they'd set up their equipment.  It worked.   I could get pretty Lissajous figures on my oscilloscope.  It was close, but I did survive physics.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

The rain has started along the south shore of Lake Ontario.  Currently 3 Celcius/35 F.  Wondering how the rest of the posters in Ontario are doing. 

We’ve had rain since about 3 pm here in Essex county. Still above freezing and will stay there until about 1 am which is when they predict our snow will start

• Like 13

Good evening all!

Snow has started here,  will change to freezing rain, then straight rain, then a flash freeze followed by snow squalls.  Yikes.  Hope it doesn’t play out as bad as they say.🙁

On the bright side I am finally Covid negative after about 2 weeks.  Still don’t feel 100% but getting there.  Can’t wait to see the kids and grands!

Stay safe everyone!

Jo

• Like 15

4 hours ago, XBGuy said:

That's a terrific story Master Chief.  The LaVerne campus is very nice.  It is not unlike an eastern college integrated into the community.  Pepperdine is, of course, also a beautiful campus.  In Malibu?  Overlooking the Pacific?  What would you expect?

A lot of my college classmates were military vets studying engineering.  Many of them were electronic techs who had been trained in the military and were employed at one of the many defense industry facilities here in SoCal.  As a math major I had to take a year of Physics.  I was OK with the lecture portion, but the lab portion almost did me in--especially, E&M.  I would struggle to set up my equipment, but could not get results.  So, I'd walk over to Pat Francomano's station or Jack McGuire's station to see how they'd set up their equipment.  It worked.   I could get pretty Lissajous figures on my oscilloscope.  It was close, but I did survive physics.

I don't think that many know how much training one can receive in military schools.  When I decided to stay in the Navy, I went to a 36 week school where I was taught just electronics.  From there they sent me to a 20 week school on calibrating electronics test equipment.  I then got two years practical experience managing a calibration laboratory on a repair ship.  Then a 48 week advanced electronics course.  In this course the first ten weeks were math; then electronics was taught from a calculus standpoint.  I did so well in the course I was asked to stay as an instructor, after a few weeks of instructor's school.  When I arrived, they asked me what portion I wanted to teach.  I said I really enjoyed the math, I would like to teach that.  They replied that I would be a better teacher if I taught the portion that was hardest for me; thus I would have more empathy with my students.  So I ended up teaching radar special circuits, like magnetrons and wave guides.  Still enjoyed it, got promoted to Chief and then to temporary Warrant Officer and spent three years as the electronics repair officer on a destroyer tender with two tours in Vietnam.  When I left the Navy I was able to use this knowledge working for a medical ultrasound company, developing their training courses for technicians who repaired the equipment and doctors who used it.  I suppose I am an example of the opportunities that are available in a 20 year Navy career for those who are willing to take advantage of them.

Ray

• Like 11