richwmn Goes around the world in a daze

richwmn

14 hours ago, richwmn said:

l stayed in Billboard for a short while after trivia and listened to a couple of songs performed by Kaia and David. They are both talented musicians with good voices. The show was enjoyable.

Tomorrow morning is Fort Lauderdale and errands.

@Hygge!I haven't seen a schedule for tomorrow so I don't know yet.

Billboard is by far my favorite venue for music on any HAL ship.

Jane

It’s Thursday afternoon, and we are now getting ready to begin the next segment of the cruise.

This morning was an interesting time. I had to go into Fort Lauderdale and pick up something that was shipped for me to a friend. Leaving the ship was really no problem and I got a cab driver right away. The day was beautiful and the cab ride was nice. When we arrived I asked the driver for a phone number and told him I would need to go back to the port in a half hour or so. I met with my friend and got my package. I also had a nice visit. As I got to the lobby of the building I called the driver an got his voice mail. I thanked the desk lady who had actually received the package for me, she heard the voice mail and pointed outside where the driver was already waiting for me. The ride back to the port was fine.

Once I got dropped off I showed my ‘in transit’ ticket and was directed to the proper area. As I passed one of the agents asked me if I had been on Nieuw Statendam in October. I acknowledged that I had and she told me we had been trivia partners a couple of times on that cruise. She said that when she got back she decided that she could handle working portside and applied. So there she was directing me to the waiting lounge.

The first person I had shown my ‘in transit’ pass to directed me to the escalator which goes to the priority boarding area. When I got there, the person in charge wanted me to wait downstairs until I showed her my cabin card with 5*. She then allowed me to go the the priority area. I would think that any ‘in transit’ should be upstairs – but what do I know.

I had to wait about 30 minute to board. Just before we were allowed to board, a lady came up and started moving people around. When another agent asked her what was going on, she replied that she had been doing this for 9 years so she didn’t need to be questioned about it.

I did manage to get back aboard about 11:30 and got some lunch.

I never did get a paper schedule for today, but here are the meals for tonight.

Dec29Lido.thumb.png.07efb24ad5b1090c418513ded9c4cec2.png

Dec29MDR-2.thumb.png.494f1f6f90c7194068d737603e96c8c1.png

Dec29MDR-1.thumb.png.009899fa328f9c034a8251ef2c3e4952.png

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, richwmn said:

I had to wait about 30 minute to board. Just before we were allowed to board, a lady came up and started moving people around. When another agent asked her what was going on, she replied that she had been doing this for 9 years so she didn’t need to be questioned about it.

Rich this sounds pretty typical for in transit mix-ups in Fort Lauderdale.  We had several turn-arounds there and each one was handled differently.  Did you see "Jeff"?  He's a gem.  

With the time change tonight it is midnight. It has been a full day and very enjoyable.

We had general trivia at 7pm and music trivia at 10pm. Both were hosted by Sandra, who is very personable and enjoys hosting trivia. Questions spanned the generations so everyone had a chance to get some right.

During the late trivia it was mentioned that there are still around 300 guests below 18 years old. Today they seemed well behaved, we will see what happens over the next couple of days.

Tonight on the Main Stage was Origin Story. Now, in truth, I have had several opportunities to go to this show. I didn’t previously, mostly because I didn’t think it would be interesting. However, several people have had praise for the presentation so I thought I would give it a chance. Turns out, it is very interesting, well done, and moves quickly. If you have any interest in the history of Holland America Line, take the 45 minutes and watch the presentation.

Many of the college bowl games are being shown on the in cabin tv sets, so those interested can watch. I haven’t seen any mention of the playoff games Saturday Night, but last year they were shown in one of the bars. They are on ESPN so they should be available in cabins.

Time change tonight, we will move our clocks 1 hour forward.

• Like 19

Friday, a day at sea. We are getting closer to the New Year and the World Cruise.

After setting the clocks forward last night I slept a little bit later than I have been. I did get to the Lido for breakfast at a good time so I didn’t have to contend with lines. No problems there.

Next after breakfast was an early trivia at 10:00am. It was titled Holiday Trivia and encompassed several different holiday traditions and events. It was fun even tho we really didn’t do well.

Following trivia I went up to the Crows Nest to see what was going on. Then at 11:00 I went to the Main Stage and saw another presentation by Kimberly – the Deep Blue Sea. Again, Kimberly is a very good presenter and it made for an interesting hour. Then pasta for lunch. The Lido was full at noon with limited seating.

Now we have the events for the day:

Dec30-2.thumb.png.7449794cc92f6a0d7150b5aebd82e21a.png

Dec30-1.thumb.png.f640e9417bff438c0924f685dd21c67c.png

And the meals for this evening:

Dec30Lido.thumb.png.4fb8fd4681324a073c18642c43883335.png

Dec30MDR-2.thumb.png.85d82196bcc8b8f83e020834a02da98d.png

Dec30MDR-1.thumb.png.bdc03a4f8750842470fab8c9dfb56d0f.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2022 at 11:22 AM, richwmn said:

Once I got dropped off I showed my ‘in transit’ ticket and was directed to the proper area. As I passed one of the agents asked me if I had been on Nieuw Statendam in October. I acknowledged that I had and she told me we had been trivia partners a couple of times on that cruise. She said that when she got back she decided that she could handle working portside and applied. So there she was directing me to the waiting lounge.

I remember her!  Her name was Sandy IIRC.  She always wrote down all the questions and answers so she could ask her friends a daily question via FB.  Please tell her hi for me if you see her again.

• Like 3

Good morning from Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.

I realized this morning that I didn’t comment on activities yesterday afternoon and evening. It was a pretty busy time.

Starting with a first for me, I attended a Wine Tasting hosted by Jacque(?). He was a very engaging speaker and I found out quite a bit about wines. We were presented with a total of 5 wines. While I can’t tell you the specific wines, the tasting consisted of 2 reds, 2 whites, and a Prosecco. They were all tasty and we were presented some information about each type. We also had some bread, cheese, and grapes to clear our palate between tastings.

Next up was trivia at 4:30, and it was general information. As a group we did ok, but didn’t win. The questions covered a long span of time, so something for everyone.

After trivia one of the couples invited me to join them in the Main Dining Room for their fixed seating table. Now, according to Seattle this is not allowed. It was no problem at all and I enjoyed the dinner. I had the Salmon which was fixed properly and was very good.

We barely made it back to Billboard to attend the 6:30 trivia which was travel. We did a little better on this one and enjoyed it again. Trivia ended in time to attend the 7:00 show on the Main Stage.

The show yesterday was again “Masters of the Musical” featuring the Jukebox Rogues. At the first song it seemed to be a repeat of last week’s show so I didn’t stay.

Here are the activities today while we are in Amber Cove:

Dec31-1.thumb.png.1a855eb967838a609eb92ffdaabe23b2.png

Dec31-2.thumb.png.7d94d11d3fd5397d91cb3336ec781183.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Today is the first day of 2023. It is a beautiful day at sea headed back to Half Moon Cay. Yesterday was spent at Amber Cove, Dominican Republic.

Amber Cove is one of the newest ports in the Caribbean. Carnival Corp built it up a couple of years ago and it shows. All of the buildings appear to be brand new. The area contains all of the places that most other Caribbean ports have. It is was a nice day to take a walk.

The rest of the day was filled, at least for me, with the College Playoff games. The games were on the cabin tv sets and were being shown in the Gallery Bar. The Gallery Bar had a good crowd, but not too crowded.

The meal in the Lido included a tasty Filet. Here are the menus for last night:

Dec31MDR-1.thumb.png.31a1634005dfbfef94ee84e87ff89c4b.png

Dec31MDR-2.thumb.png.3b47dcfbafe00a2a843b4e07c7766c20.png

Dec31Lido.thumb.png.f4d4cbb52e68626b43e0d8c104489a65.png

Today is a lazy day at sea. Trivia is scheduled, along with several presentation, and bingo. I hope everyone has a good day and a great year.

Jan01-1.thumb.png.4f6e956ae0f9b5d9dc92970906c9aa5b.png

Jan01-2.thumb.png.7286a1236bcd9d9e4dd8c02060046b80.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

Jan 2, 2023 – The end of the Holiday Cruise.

The show on the Main Stage last night was again Steven Scott, the comedian. The first couple of jokes were exactly the same as the show I saw several days ago, so I didn’t stay. When I first saw it I enjoyed it but I was not ready for a rerun. If he stays on for the first part of the World Cruise I hope he has some new material.

Last night I received a notice that I had an appointment for a Covid test this morning at 8am. After a good breakfast in the Lido, I got to the Hudson Room a little bit early and got in just before 8. They sat me down with a kit and asked if I had done a self test before. When I said yes, they allowed me to swab my own sample. I had been given a sticker to put on the test. I did so and handed everything to the attendant and was told to return to my cabin and stay there. The protocol is that you wait at least 15 minutes. If you don’t get a call you are clear to go out and about. I waited more than 15 minutes and got no call so I cleared the test.

Also somewhere around 8 the announcement came that we were cleared to tender to Half Moon Cay. All aboard is 3pm for sail away to Fort Lauderdale. Volendam is at HMC with us so I’m sure there is a bit of a crowd there. We have also been reminded several times to make sure which ship the tender is going to when leaving the island.

Lunch in the Lido was the Double Pepperoni Pizza. The Pizza on Zuiderdam seems a bit better than I remember from previous cruises. The difference is that they have only had 4 choices – Four Cheese, Vege, and Double Pepperoni. A little more variety day to day might be nice.

A note for 5 * Mariners. One of the benefits when you achieve 5 * status is supposed to be an internet credit. In reading Cruise Critic I have noticed various interpretations for this benefit. Upon boarding 11 days ago I didn’t notice any benefit attached to my pre-purchased internet. I have asked at the Front Desk twice getting assurances that it would be looked into and I would be contacted but so far I have not.

For those interested, the schedule for tomorrow does mention a Mariner Lunch in the Main Dining Room starting at noon. For the rest of the today’s schedule:

Jan02-2.thumb.png.c2c4af1b96818dadbe3170feb07f5f81.png

Jan02-1.thumb.png.88adfec864e6deb7b22b7fc7ec677623.png

And the menus for tonight:

Jan02Lido.thumb.png.202b42a651f82f5cb64662e08b8f9640.png

Jan02MDR-2.thumb.png.ce9a0d637bc88e6cd0d71fe266c08d70.png

Jan02MDR-1.thumb.png.701246fa7fa869aa1da90c5d2bfe1af8.png

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Why did you have to take a covid test?

"The World Cruise is considered a heightened protocol voyage and all incoming guests are required to present a proof of testing."

Since I am already on the ship, HAL provided the test today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, richwmn said:

Lunch in the Lido was the Double Pepperoni Pizza. The Pizza on Zuiderdam seems a bit better than I remember from previous cruises. The difference is that they have only had 4 choices – Four Cheese, Vege, and Double Pepperoni. A little more variety day to day might be nice.

???

"Four Cheese, Vege, and Double Pepperoni" aounds like three choices.  Is the fouth choice "no pizza?"

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

???

"Four Cheese, Vege, and Double Pepperoni" aounds like three choices.  Is the fouth choice "no pizza?"

I guess I had 4 on my mind because of the 4 cheese. Only 3 choices

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I just noticed a paragraph of 5* Mariner Society benefits.  One is a $30 internet service credit.  I wonder if I could get just $30 of internet service on a short cruise?  Might be enough just to check my email every day or two.  Princess in the past provided their Elite members a package that worked fine for that for free.  Incidentally, in 585 days cruising on HAL we have never purchased their internet package.  

Ray

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I just noticed a paragraph of 5* Mariner Society benefits.  One is a $30 internet service credit.  I wonder if I could get just $30 of internet service on a short cruise?  Might be enough just to check my email every day or two. 

You purchase an Internet package for whatever number of days are left in your cruise; you don't purchase by the day. 
So, unless you purchase far enough into the cruise that the price will only be about $30, then you won't be checking your email early on. 

I don't know about you, but I get enough emails every day that if I don't keep up with deleting it daily (about 40/day), I am overwhelmed by the end of two-three days. 

• Like 3