Gee what is the point of refundable deposit then

Oceansaway17

So I had a refundable deposit on the Beyond and today I wanted to cancel.

Was told I could only get an FCC.  hmmm then what even have a refundable deposit.

I mean RCI which is part of RCG doesn't do this.   I will have to accept the FCC and apply to a later cruise, but it does sound mean.

I went to the website and honestly the way policy is worded, it is rather confusing.  Again why even have a refundable deposit.

To me its like you show an interest in Celebrity and put a deposit down under the tern refundable, but really that money will never get back to you

if you cancel.   

My experience is that with a Non-Refundable credit in the U.S. if you cancel or change you are charged $100 pp and can obtain a FCC for the remainder.   With a Refundable in the U.S. if you cancel prior to final payment you are given a full refund to original form of payment.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My experience is that with a Non-Refundable credit in the U.S. if you cancel or change you are charged $100 pp and can obtain a FCC for the remainder.   With a Refundable in the U.S. if you cancel prior to final payment you are given a full refund to original form of payment.

Ditto what Jim_Iain says.  I would suspect that you are either outside the US and different rules apply or you THOUGHT you were on a refundable, which would not be unusual.  Many of us have been told by the booking agent at Celebrity that we are on a refundable then not been booked on that.  If that's the case, and you made reservations on the phone - you can have them pull the call log - they just need the date you made the reservation.  If they can trace back to you being told you are on a refundable booking by the agent - they will go with that. (speaking from experience here)

nope live in USA and was told difference between refundable and non is the $100 fee.

otherwise I get FCC.   I challenged several times and she would not budge.

so pissed I could spit.

I just also cancelled under RCI (because I realized New Zealand trip would be around Thanksgiving) and my refundable deposit is coming back to my c card.  NOPE not with Celebrity

26 minutes ago, ehall said:

Ditto what Jim_Iain says.  I would suspect that you are either outside the US and different rules apply or you THOUGHT you were on a refundable, which would not be unusual.  Many of us have been told by the booking agent at Celebrity that we are on a refundable then not been booked on that.  If that's the case, and you made reservations on the phone - you can have them pull the call log - they just need the date you made the reservation.  If they can trace back to you being told you are on a refundable booking by the agent - they will go with that. (speaking from experience here)

I booked on line.

Still the words refundable should be back to credit card.

I have a cruise in Sept and will use the FCC for that and then so darn done with X.   Imagine RCI handle things different than X.     thanks for replies folks.

45 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

you are such a good cruiser for X I should have put your name on reservation.  haha

but nope I am USA and they told me nope to a refundable only FCC. I looked up my PDF and is says a refund within a certain time.  oh well.  my final was due in 17 days and well  X must be hard up for money.  

Suggestions for the future, use a Travel Agent who know what they’re doing and knows the cruise line policies. 

If you prefer not to use a TA, then when you call Celebrity and they aren’t giving you the answer you were expecting, then always hang up and call back again. 

Glad you got a good agent who explained it correctly to you in the end. 

For Celebrity to have people on the call center who can't help with accurately booking or canceling a sailing in inexcusable.

I'd write to Ms Morales.  She needs to know how customers are being treated.

Jennifer Morales
Director, Celebrity Engagement Center
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
jennifermorales@celebrity.com

15 hours ago, LB_NJ said:

Unfortunately, these days it is not unusual to get a person at Celebrity who is clueless.  I don't know if it is cost-cutting or they just can't hire the right people.

Cost cutting. They have hired a LOT of offshore remote workers who can only do the very basics like take payments, create a booking etc. Anything that is more complex than those basic tasks generally will get transferred to someone who can assist or they will put you on hold while they ask for help from a supervisor.