Live on Getaway - Disappointing Entertainment

cusematt4

Hi all - hope everyone is having a good holiday week.

We have been looking forward to our first post Covid cruise.  Despite this christmas week cruise being premium priced, we were looking forward to enjoying NCLs acclaimed entertainment.

To say we are disappointed is an understatement.  From quality to quantity, we are frustrated with how NCL is underperforming for this holiday week cruise.

First, we’ve never been on a cruise in which there were only 4/8 nights of professional entertainment (excluding live music).  2 comedians are usually in addition to other professional fly on acts, one magician and two production shows.

The comedians were the worst we’ve seen on land or at sea (Rodney and John) on over 20 cruises.  Their jokes were cringeworthy with them being the only ones laughing at their own jokes.  Usually a cruise has additional/different comedians for the second half of the cruise but not this ship.

The magician did 4-5 card tricks on stage that resulted in the crowd on the way out saying that it was among the worst acts they’ve ever seen.  Also the screen is broken and blurry so no one above the first few rows could see the 5 tricks done over 45 minutes.

NCL really hyped up Syd Norman’s and the rock band.  There is kareoke there every night so we questioned when the rock band would be performing and were told they aren’t performing this cruise.  There should be a replacement for one of the most highly advertised venues on the ship for the busiest sailing of the year.

For live music, Howl on the Moon is awesome but aside from that there is one band and two duos.

Other cruise lines have several bands, professional entertainment every night (not half the nights of an 8 night sailing), multiple comedians and multiple fly on acts.

While we are trying to make the most of everything, this sold out NCL post Covid cruise is really disappointing.

Please let me know of any questions.

Edited by cusematt4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• cusematt4 changed the title to Live on Getaway - Disappointing Entertainment

Totally understand if that’s the issue and out of everyone’s control.  But for 4/8 nights of professional entertainment and one band plus 2 duos for a sold out premium priced holiday sailing is really disappointing.  Let alone the subpar quality of the 2 comedians when there are usually 4 on a 7 let alone 8 night cruise.

• Like 1

I sailed on the Getaway over New Years into this year and we were the last ones on her before she shut down for a month due to a large COVID outbreak among the crew making the ship unable to function. With that said, this year it's a different beast and COVID is being handled far differently. We had Burn the Floor and then the cast went into quarantine. By the end of it we had three cruise staff members running the stuff as the rest were quarantined. I would expect better this year but after last year's performance on Getaway, I decided against taking her out for New Years this year. Hopefully you get the main production at least! Syd Norman's Pour House was the same during our voyage, karaoke was the only thing going in there. We were told that band was in quarantine. Not sure if they didn't put them on or if it really was a quarantine for them. Hopefully it gets better... my cruise on that ship was not pleasant and NCL did nothing to address it during or after it for those of us souls who were not quarantined. (By the end a fair chunk of the ship's passengers were quarantined further over running what crew didn't have to quarantine... not good times.)

46 minutes ago, shof515 said:

considering the world we live in now as part of the new normal, i got a feeling they was covid related issues causing last minute cancellation of shows

Wonder how many officers, crew members, passengers and entertainers had flights canceled this past week and not make it on board ships?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Other cruise lines have several bands, professional entertainment every night (not half the nights of an 8 night sailing), multiple comedians and multiple fly on acts.

Im so sorry you are disappointed, I know the feeling. I felt this way on the RCL Baltic cruise so we get it.  But this statement is not at all our experience on post covid cruises from the US to Europe.  Entertainment has been lack luster on all the different cruise lines we have been on, and cant wait to get back to the NCL Bliss next week to see Jersey Boys, Beatles & Six.   Enjoy the rest of the cruise...

Doubtful that NCL would schedule their ship's officers, entertainers and crew members on routine rotations & vacation to travel during the busiest period around this time - maybe, errr, a very, very small number from that "group" since they are most likely from overseas or abroad.  

Passengers booked on flights, whether directly by NCL and cruisers flying independent with individual arrangements, even if they're scheduled inbound 2 days early ... could be stranded, depending on their originating airports and transit/airline or airport hubs involved, i.e. this past weekend, DEN, ORD, ATL RDU and even SEA were hit pretty hard by delays and cancellations.  Even MIA were experiencing problems ... and SouthWest cancelled 70% of their scheduled flights today with another 17% delayed, for whatever reasons (ouch !!)  That reminded me of JetBlue (B6) quite a few years ago with their JFK and Northeast route operations before/after a major winter storm/blizzard.  

One of my "go to" is to look at the MiseryMap maintained by FlightAware, bookmarked on mobile browser, for an overview - not available on their i/smartphone app.  

https://flightaware.com/miserymap/

Trip/travel insurance - most infrequent travelers ignored adding it to their calculations in the planning, until it is needed or not covered.  JFK/EWR/LGA didn't do badly this holiday weekend - finding available seat pairs for 2 or 3 flyers together on re-routed flight connections to MCO (Orlando) for another 1 hour transfer to PC, where the Getaway arrived very early & docked today ... not easy.   

Onboard entertainment - enough said by others.  Perhaps, ask whether they can make those PPV movies free for all staterooms ??  We always load up our personal contents from Prime Video, etc. on our devices, a set of earbuds or headset, a powerbank for extra charging options, just in case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Totally understand if that’s the issue and out of everyone’s control.  But for 4/8 nights of professional entertainment and one band plus 2 duos for a sold out premium priced holiday sailing is really disappointing.  Let alone the subpar quality of the 2 comedians when there are usually 4 on a 7 let alone 8 night cruise.

That’s exactly what the OP should have expected. There are two main shows on all of the NCL big ships with “other” entertainment on other nights. There is a lot of entertainment on the ship, more than portrayed. 

• Like 1

We are going on the Getaway in February for a short 5 day trip, just to get a small "winter" break.  We do not drink or gamble much so look forward to relaxing, eating good meals and seeing shows.  I try not to book the same ship twice so the shows I can see will be different.

That being said I did do the Breakaway twice but was lucky enough to see Six instead of Rock of Ages.  And on the Joy in September we could not get into Syds to see the Fleetwood Mac Rumors show so I was looking forward to possibly seeing it on the Getaway.  Now I'm disappointed that they may not have it on my sailing. 

Everyone cruises for different reasons so you should not mock any one whose interests differ from yours.

• Like 1

We did go.  It was some Christmas songs by the entertainment staff for 35 minutes.  On Royal Caribbean for Christmas they had a whole 50 minute show with a storyline and plot that was incredibly well done.

For some positives, the Zenith band is awesome, Howl at the Moon has a great crew and Broadway Unplugged was fantastic.

Just disappointed that Syds has nothing for the week except passenger karaoke, there’s only one full band on the ship, 2 1/10 comedians instead of 4 on other cruises, and a terrible “magician”.  1 band and 4/8 nights of no professional entertainment (with 1 being the comedians that are usually in addition to fly on and production acts) to us is a let down.

We are trying to make the most of the trip and know we are fortunate to be here and be traveling.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions anyone may have.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

And on the Joy in September we could not get into Syds to see the Fleetwood Mac Rumors show so I was looking forward to possibly seeing it on the Getaway. 

the Joy does not have Syd or maybe i did not find it when i was on it back in october 

54 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

We did go.  It was some Christmas songs by the entertainment staff for 35 minutes.  On Royal Caribbean for Christmas they had a whole 50 minute show with a storyline and plot that was incredibly well done.

For some positives, the Zenith band is awesome, Howl at the Moon has a great crew and Broadway Unplugged was fantastic.

Just disappointed that Syds has nothing for the week except passenger karaoke, there’s only one full band on the ship, 2 1/10 comedians instead of 4 on other cruises, and a terrible “magician”.  1 band and 4/8 nights of no professional entertainment (with 1 being the comedians that are usually in addition to fly on and production acts) to us is a let down.

We are trying to make the most of the trip and know we are fortunate to be here and be traveling.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions anyone may have.

Ahh, thanks! Well, the Christmas songs sound nice. Who doesn't love some caroling? My husband, that's who! But I love them. Definitely not exactly a production show though. 

I'm glad you enjoyed Broadway Unplugged. I can't wait to go watch it again next week!

Sorry there isn't as much live music as you were hoping for. That does stink. Hopefully the piano guy is still at Sugarcane's every evening, and is good. 

Hi all,

Have a few updates.  To reiterate positives first, zenith band the reggae/all genre band is awesome as is the dueling piano bar.

As for entertainment cutbacks - that unfortunately is confirmed by the front desk as a thing.  There is only 1 fly on act per cruise plus 2 comedians.  There used to be 2-3 plus 4 comedians.

Sys Norman’s rock band and illusinariam are cancelled indefinitely.  Nothing to do with anyone having Covid, they just aren’t on the ship and aren’t contracted to come back on.  So that leaves a 4900 person ship with 1 band and two duos.  Our friends on Royal for comparison have 3 bands, 3 duos and professional entertainment every night.

Tonight’s entertainment - a movie and a 45 minute Elton John set from the dueling piano player.  For a premium priced holiday sailing, it really is disappointing to have 4 nights of passenger made entertainment or the 2 duos playing which is typically supplemental to a production show or fly on act.

our friends on other lines now still have 4 comedians out of 7 to 8 nights and 3-4 fly on acts.

For a positive, the staff and food are very good and go above and beyond.  Speciality restaurants are amazing.  Just the cutbacks from the main office with both low quality  and low quantity entertainment is what’s frustrating.  At these all time high prices, there should be more not 1/2 less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

Have a few updates.  To reiterate positives first, zenith band the reggae/all genre band is awesome as is the dueling piano bar.

As for entertainment cutbacks - that unfortunately is confirmed by the front desk as a thing.  There is only 1 fly on act per cruise plus 2 comedians.  There used to be 2-3 plus 4 comedians.

Sys Norman’s rock band and illusinariam are cancelled indefinitely.  Nothing to do with anyone having Covid, they just aren’t on the ship and aren’t contracted to come back on.  So that leaves a 4900 person ship with 1 band and two duos.  Our friends on Royal for comparison have 3 bands, 3 duos and professional entertainment every night.

Tonight’s entertainment - a movie and a 45 minute Elton John set from the dueling piano player.  For a premium priced holiday sailing, it really is disappointing to have 4 nights of passenger made entertainment or the 2 duos playing which is typically supplemental to a production show or fly on act.

our friends on other lines now still have 4 comedians out of 7 to 8 nights and 3-4 fly on acts.

For a positive, the staff and food are very good and go above and beyond.  Speciality restaurants are amazing.  Just the cutbacks from the main office with both low quality  and low quantity entertainment is what’s frustrating.  At these all time high prices, there should be more not 1/2 less.

Thanks for your information, we’re going on Getaway in January and hopefully it’ll be better but your information is preparing me for reality. Is there any Zumba, line dancing, theme parties, glow or white out party at H20?

Loved the Bliss last cruise pre Covid-19 February 2020.

Did a rcl in May started great but then cheap entertainment in karaoke and silent disco.

Missing live music and dancing opportunities. Please keep sharing and thank you

. Real life information is easy to find on cruise critics 

I feel disappointed on behalf of the OP,  too. I'd just say that entertainment is like food in that it's very subjective. You may not appreciate the comedians and their sense of humor, but maybe others might. We were on the Epic recently and only saw 2 shows, both of which were outstanding. We don't tend to go to live things such as piano bars, singers, Beatles tributes, etc. nor do we tend to see comics or magicians, and we had a great time. But I agree that the offerings for the OP were lackluster. That's a shame. Hopefully the OP took the time to tell NCL about this.

So sorry about the entertainment.  If you are still on the Getaway, could you do me a huge favor and check your dallies for the kids club hours:

There's something weird on their website on the kids club FAQ stating that programs below are not available (which is concerning because both sea days and port days are listed below that message):  Someone also posted today that the Splash Academy is now closed on port days.  We have 3 kids and are sailing in January and our children love the kids club.

What are the hours of operation for the Splash Academy?

Norwegian Fleet Embarkation Day
8:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.

The programs below are temporarily not available.

Port Days
Refer to Activity Booklet* - 10:30 p.m.

Sea Days
9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m./2:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m./7:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.

Late Night Fun Zone
10:30 p.m. - 1:30 a.m. nightly, (Fee applies)

The centre closes at 12:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Children must be picked up at these times. Pick-up late fees may apply.

*Early Morning Club/Port Days Only

Reservations are required for the service. Advance cancellation notice is required. Fee Based Service, Port arrival before 8:00 am

*Breakfast Club Port Days Only

Reservations are Required for the service; Advance cancellation notice is required. This is a fee-based service. Port arrival at 8:00 am or earlier.

Please refer to FAQ "Are there any fees I should be aware of?"

This post indicates that Splash Academy is not open on port days: 

I called NCL and they said the kids clubs are operating normally, and they don't understand the message on their FAQ page, but I've never had much luck depending upon the phone reps for accurate information.

I just came back from 14 days on the  Star the entertainment was by far the worst I have witnessed.  I do think they cancelled one night and decided to show a movie instead.  We had no comedian at all.  The musical shows were just bad, I am not a music person but my wife has taught piano, so she does know a bit about music when she says  they were singing in the wrong key and off key I believe her.  Spending a few bucks for an AutoTune license would help that.  However  I have a degree in Theatre and worked professionally for a couple of years the  timing of many of the cast members was very poor like they had rehearsed just maybe while they had been onboard the ship.  Magician was OK but they do get old after a while.

On 12/28/2022 at 7:34 AM, cusematt4 said:

Royal for comparison have 3 bands, 3 duos and professional entertainment every night.

The entertainment on our last Royal Cruise, was just as you are describing on this NCL cruise. So as with all the cruise lines, it just depends on what is happening at the moment for each line.  I almost cancelled a RCL cruise due to the entertainment on the last one. So I hope it gets better all around. 

Just got off the Jewel and the nightly entertainment (with the exception of Leo Jostol who is stellar) was abysmal.  By far the worst we have ever experienced.  Poor scheduling and poor quality.  It didn’t ruin our trip but it did stand out as the worst.

• Like 1