Sun Viking

gizbug

Showing my age (44). Anyone on the boards been on this ship (I think it was their smallest ship, or maybe Song of Norway?

kind of miss those small intimate ships 🙂

995DA1EA-3089-4437-8970-C28922FB54AF.jpeg

Edited by gizbug

4 hours ago, gizbug said:

Showing my age (44). Anyone on the boards been on this ship (I think it was their smallest ship, or maybe Song of Norway?

It was scrapped at Gadani Ship Breaking Yard, Pakistan in February 2022.
It's last name  was Oriental Dragon 

8 hours ago, gizbug said:

Your age?!?!  I have corns older than you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, bjsurman said:

My husband and I went on our honeymoon (1980) on SunViking. Still the best cruise ever! On the smaller ships, you get to know everyone.

Remember when you'd get the little booklet with everyone's name that was on the cruise?

• Like 1

In 1990, my wife and I cruised with around 900 passengers. Very intimate ship, as someone said earlier, it was like a pocket cruiser.

It was my 2nd cruise after my 1988 10 night honeymoon cruise on Nordic Prince, another great ship. That November on the Nordic Prince, we bounced around a hurricane for about two days of rough water.

Both ships had twin screw constant speed variable pitch propellers, twin rudders, bow thrusters with wing stabilizers. Never had a tug touch us on both ships. We did use tenders on some ports of call. the mosaic in the Nordic Prince main dining room had a Camelot theme.

2 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

Back in 1983 she had a unique itinerary.

7 nights Miami to Barbados or 7 nights Barbados to Miami.

Nice B/B without repeating ports.

Outdoor stairway to the tiny Viking Crown Lounge.

About 15 seats around the bar that had a view of 240 degrees aft if I remember correctly. It was the first place we went to after getting our cabin settled for a sail away view. VERY unique. I remember that staircase well because I liked the wood hand rails and trim.

2 hours ago, Husky1987 said:

Remember when you'd get the little booklet with everyone's name that was on the cruise?

We still have ours from Sun Viking, 1993 and Nordic Prince, 1992, plus our sea pass cards and Compasses.  Great little ships. 

Edited by CruisinNole
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bjsurman said:

My husband and I went on our honeymoon (1980) on SunViking. Still the best cruise ever! On the smaller ships, you get to know everyone.

Ain’t that the truth! Met the doctors son on song of Norway. They both were from Norway. Stayed in touch with the kid for a few years after the cruise (think I was 8). Also got free tour of the ship 🙂

On 12/27/2022 at 12:13 AM, gizbug said:

I'll show my age.  🙂  We were sailed on both Song of Norway (our very first cruise) and then sun Viking.  They're how we got our love of cruising. 

Just now, Jbluebird said:

I'll show my age.  🙂  We were sailed on both Song of Norway (our very first cruise) and then sun Viking.  They're how we got our love of cruising. 

Edit:  We sailed on both Song of Norway and then Sun Viking.  (didn't look at post before I hit submit).

Yes, in 1989 for Thanksgiving.  It was our third cruise ever, Song of America was first and Sovereign was second.  There were 550 passengers (if the information I have is correct).  We had a fantastic time.  The staff was excellent - that is the only time on our any of our 53 cruises that anyone managed to get me out to dance.   The small Viking Crown Lounge and the outside ladder to get there was one of our favorite spots.    Food was so-o-o-o much better than ships today.   Good memories.   Oh, neither my wife nor I get seasick which helped since the small ship did Rock & Roll.