Check your near-term flight status, especially on Southwest Airlines

oldbluff

I was notified just after midnight that our Southwest flight tomorrow from Portland to San Diego has been cancelled. There are no flights from Portland or Seattle on any airline that will get us to SD in time to board the Koningsdam Thursday. We will rent a car and drive, leaving today. That may not be an option for others, if they are traveling too far to a cruise port and their flight is cancelled. The sooner you verify flights scheduled thru this weekend, the more time you will have to deal with unexpected changes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

35 minutes ago, oldbluff said:

I was notified just after midnight that our Southwest flight tomorrow from Portland to San Diego has been cancelled. There are no flights from Portland or Seattle on any airline that will get us to SD in time to board the Koningsdam Thursday. We will rent a car and drive, leaving today. That may not be an option for others, if they are traveling too far to a cruise port and their flight is cancelled. The sooner you verify flights scheduled thru this weekend, the more time you will have to deal with unexpected changes.

AARP code is the best 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JCrewz said:

I have a feeling we're going to hear some pretty tragic stories about getting to cruise ports on time.  How stressful.  Hope everyone gets relief very soon.

Yes, I think so.  SWA is not going to get this unraveled for many days - just in time for the next holiday. 

3 hours ago, BruhnSisters said:

Very sorry you have to make that long drive.  We get the best rental car rates with Costco.

Hope this cruise will be EXTRA relaxing once you are onboard.

Thanks. Yes, rental cars thru Costco have great rates plus second driver at no extra cost. 

5 minutes ago, julia said:

Perhaps drive to San Fran or Oakland or San Jose and fly from there to SD?  Wishing you the best...

We think alike. I did check those Bay Area airports as well. Nothing in time for less than $1000/person.

Our son had driven up from Napa for Christmas and was going to drive back tomorrow. Instead, he is driving us today to Sacramento where we will stay overnight. We have a car rental (thru Costco! 😁) from Sac airport to SD airport for tomorrow. The treat awaiting us is staying at the Westgate in SD tomorrow night before the cruise, thanks to the recommendation from @kazu.

I expect our Southwest flight back to Portland after disembarking on the 7th will hold.

• Like 9

7 hours ago, oldbluff said:

Oh no!!!!  Safe travels!  Say hi to David and Omar in the Ocean Bar!  Was good to meet you back in early December.  Is this another B2B?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DENIE said:

Oh no!!!!  Safe travels!  Say hi to David and Omar in the Ocean Bar!  Was good to meet you back in early December.  Is this another B2B?

Nope. This 9 night is the last cruise for a good while, with Shelley watching our new granddaughter full time beginning January 9th. New Year's Eve on a ship is fun and there are two new ports for us, La Paz and Loreto. 

Glad you got home safely from your cruise. We enjoyed visiting with you both and hope to see you again. 

Cliff

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldbluff said:

Nope. This 9 night is the last cruise for a good while, with Shelley watching our new granddaughter full time beginning January 9th. New Year's Eve on a ship is fun and there are two new ports for us, La Paz and Loreto. 

Glad you got home safely from your cruise. We enjoyed visiting with you both and hope to see you again. 

Cliff

Might have to check out that itinerary sometime, would love to see the slightly longer cruise with a couple of additional ports.

4 hours ago, oldbluff said:

We think alike. I did check those Bay Area airports as well. Nothing in time for less than $1000/person.

Our son had driven up from Napa for Christmas and was going to drive back tomorrow. Instead, he is driving us today to Sacramento where we will stay overnight. We have a car rental (thru Costco! 😁) from Sac airport to SD airport for tomorrow. The treat awaiting us is staying at the Westgate in SD tomorrow night before the cruise, thanks to the recommendation from @kazu.

I expect our Southwest flight back to Portland after disembarking on the 7th will hold.

Just make sure that Southwest does not cancel the return, when you do not fly the leg to SD. Unfortunately not sure how you can even talk with someone to make sure due to the mess at both the airports and their customer service lines.

16 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Just make sure that Southwest does not cancel the return, when you do not fly the leg to SD. Unfortunately not sure how you can even talk with someone to make sure due to the mess at both the airports and their customer service lines.

That is a critical point!

2 hours ago, ldtr said:

Having been in a jam before, I booked separate flights. So at least the return is disconnected from the cancelled outbound. 

• Like 8

I, too, now book separate outbound and return flights.  Round-trip flights are too much hassle if something needs to be changed, or if as pointed out above, you don't take your outbound flight, then they (probably will) cancel your return, and that's not just on Southwest but other airlines as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oakridger said:

Smart move @oldbluff!!  Be careful driving in the Central Valley tomorrow.   There may be some fog.

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy. Forgot about Tule fog.

Once upon a time I lived in Coarsegold and descended into the fog each morning enroute to my job in Fresno.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 12cruise2 said:

I, too, now book separate outbound and return flights.  Round-trip flights are too much hassle if something needs to be changed, or if as pointed out above, you don't take your outbound flight, then they (probably will) cancel your return, and that's not just on Southwest but other airlines as well.

Yes.