What are Celebrity's rules for kids booked in rooms near parents?

Eli_6

I have never been on a Celebrity cruise before.  I booked a European cruise on the Apex for our family and it was canceled due to Covid and we never rescheduled with Celebrity and ended up just doing the cruise on a different line in 2022.  I am wanting to now take a cruise that goes to Egypt as I was supposed to take a land-based vacation there in 2020 that was also canceled due to Covid. It appears that Celebrity and HAL are my best options. In particular, I like the Celebrity sailing because it spends two days and a night in Alexandria which would allow us time to see the Pyramids of Giza. It also goes to Jerusalem which is a place I have always wanted to visit.   It will be my husband, my two children, and myself on the cruise. (My husband is a physician with his own practice and we typically have to plan our vacations that involve going across the world well in advance since he has to get alternative coverage for 2-3 weeks at a time so that is why I am looking at cruises 2-3 years from now.) 

We typically get two staterooms when we go on a cruise.  We prefer to either get two adjoining rooms or a room across the hall from the one in which our children stay in. We actually did a suite across the hall from an inside room on an Alaska sailing recently (non celebrity cruise) and I enjoyed that even more than the adjoining rooms. My kids are currently 8 and 10, but I am looking at taking this cruise in either 2024 or 2025 so they would be 9 and 11 -or- 10 and 12 by the time of the cruise...depending on when we take it.  After looking at the Celebrity ship that sails to Alexandria (which appears to be the Infinity), I think my preference would be to get a veranda room across the hall from an inside room for my kids.  Does anyone know what the rules are for kids being booked in rooms near their parents?  I know, for example, Carnival allows kids to be booked in a separate room from their parents if the parents are directly across the hall.  Alternatively, I suppose I could also book my husband and one child in a room and myself and the other child in another room.  In this scenario, would Celebrity then allow us to swap (i.e. parent for child so parents have their own room) once on board or, at least, give both of us parents keys to both rooms?

Also, does the Celebrity Infinity not have a kid's club?  I looked at the ship deck plan and did not see anything that resembled a Kid's Club, but the website seems to indicate that this is something that Celebrity offers...  I will concede that we normally cruise on lines that are "child/family focused" but none of those lines go to Egypt...or, if they do, the dates don't work for our kid's school.  We are fortunate in that our children go to private school so we have a little bit of leeway in them missing school, but I can't pull them out for 3 weeks.  The particular sailings on Celebrity fall on their spring break so would only have them missing a few days. 

Someone in the room has to be 21 at least from what I was told by my TA,  even with my son being 19 at sailing on an upcoming trip. That of course just means you put an adult in the room on paper and "sleep in the other room" at night. 

Not Celebrities direct site, but there's some reference here:  https://celebrity.cruiselines.com/cruise_info/age_requirements.cfm

Edited by 93srvman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 93srvman said:

Someone in the room has to be 21 at least from what I was told by my TA,  even with my son being 19 at sailing on an upcoming trip. That of course just means you put an adult in the room on paper and "sleep in the other room" at night. 

Thank you for this information!  I was hoping we would be able to do that.

Yes, the AI packages mess it up when doing the one adult and one child in each cabin booking. If you want it, you’ll end up paying for everyone, but it doesn’t make sense for under 21.

We have booked multiple Celebrity cruises with mom and dad in one cabin and the kids next door. We get the AI package for only the adult cabin. We most recently booked onboard last week for an Easter cruise. 

On 12/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, Eli_6 said:

Thank you for this information!  I was hoping we would be able to do that.

This would leave you with all sorts of issues if there was a problem in the night. Much better to book truly connecting cabins then you can move to your heart's content.

From the cruise contract: "No Guest under the age of twenty-one (21) will be booked in a stateroom unless accompanied by an adult twenty-one (21) years of age or older, except for minors sailing with their parents or guardians in adjacent staterooms, or for under-aged married couples (proof of marriage is required) or except as otherwise permitted by Carrier’s policy. Carrier reserves the right to request proof of age at any time and Passenger’s age on the date of sailing determines his or her status for the entire cruise vacation."

1 hour ago, wrk2cruise said:

It's been reported often on this board that Celebrity allows minor children in adjoining rooms or 2 adjacent rooms either next to each other or directly across the hallway.

Celebrity 's booking conditions specifically state the cabins must be adjacent to or directly connected to i.e. not opposite.

25 minutes ago, the penguins said:

Celebrity 's booking conditions specifically state the cabins must be adjacent to or directly connected to i.e. not opposite.

Just providing 2nd hand accounts from people who have done this.  I would argue that opposite could be considered adjacent (no rooms between) but what you or I say has not weight here.   OP needs to ask Celebrity.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 11:32 PM, wrk2cruise said:

Just providing 2nd hand accounts from people who have done this.  I would argue that opposite could be considered adjacent (no rooms between) but what you or I say has not weight here.   OP needs to ask Celebrity.

Sorry I'm confused. I quoted the requirements as stated in X's booking conditions not 2nd hand accounts. The definition of adjacent is "next to or adjoining something". Opposite is totally different.

Personally the only cabins we would consider are "connected" I.e. With a door that directly connects the two. This works particularly well on S line ships.

We are on Celebrity Constellation in June to Greece. We have three concierge cabins in a row. My son and Daughter-in-law are in the middle one and it connects to the one on their left. When I booked I was told that this was the only way my grandkids could be in the separate cabin legally. ( what you choose to do after boarding is up to you. But this way the two adults have the liquor package and the kids 17 and 15 have the soda package with no problem.

Celebrity’s terms and conditions specifically state 

Connecting staterooms are counted as different staterooms for this policy, except for minors sailing with their parents or legal guardians in adjacent staterooms. Adjacent staterooms are staterooms that are physically directly next door or directly across the hall – the doors to the staterooms have to be in the same hallway as one another.”

When my son was 11, we booked a RS (2 adults) connecting to a Verandah stateroom, which was booked in my son's name as our RS directly connected to his room.  As others have said, just a word of caution when booking different stateroom categories.  We were told repeatedly when we booked that my son would receive "Retreat" privileges (Luminae, etc.) since he was a minor booked in a connecting stateroom to the RS - when we got onboard, it took the onboard staff many calls shoreside to confirm this and made for an uncomfortable first evening when we weren't sure he would be able to go to any Retreat spaces for the duration of the cruise.  I now have very little confidence in what I am told over the phone with Celebrity, quite honestly, and will never book different categories again.  For our December 2023 cruise, I am booking two Sky Suites, which unfortunately don't connect, so there is no confusion.  I really do not know why Celebrity creates connecting staterooms in different categories and then offer all guests different perks - it's very confusing and inconvenient when trying to travel as a family.

On 12/31/2022 at 4:09 PM, the penguins said:

I quoted the requirements as stated in X's booking conditions

You didn't "quote" anything, and ignored (and I quote) "or except as otherwise permitted by Carrier’s policy."