A few quick thoughts from the Onward

boxman52

17 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

Was the same on our first Azamara cruise on the Quest in November. Ship lacked any kind of atmosphere. Pool area was awful with the only sound being folks hacking coughs. Little going on during the day if you didn’t play bridge. I often thought the Den was closed in the evenings  when we approached due to the silence. Worst CD we’ve ever encountered. Actively avoided passengers. Enjoyed most other aspects of our cruise but the lack/poor entertainment has put  us off booking another Azamara cruise. 

I guess that different passengers can make for a different experience.  We were on the Quest in November as well - disembarked on the 15th.  The CD was Amanda who is fabulous and very visible.  There were many activities during the day and we had 6 sea days in a row to fill.  We don't play bridge but enjoyed the trivia and the guest lecturers.  The Den was packed in the evening. We actually missed many of the guest entertainers due to spending time in the Den.  Made sure to get to Amanda's shows and Tanya's shows though.  I guess that you must have been on later in the month.   I do know that cruise was supposed to be the world cup cruise and the government of Qatar threw quite a wrench in that trip.  Maybe that lead to things being less than ideal.

• Like 7

As someone who has sailed on six different lines since restart 2021across oceans and rivers, three different Azamara vessels and in response to @laurieb thread has already indicated I don’t yet have a horse in the Azamara race for 2023 but could have amongst others I have objective experience. But I do like to focus on sharing facts and if appropriate counter views.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 3

Unfortunately some people are extremely defence of anything critical of Azamara and their favourite member of crew, even if it’s constructive , it’s exactly the same on Oceania FB and CC, and I’m sure the same with other lines,  it would appear that many folks think ANY cruise Company they frequent is their friend,  unfortunately that is not the case , these lines are a business therefore are in it to make a profit and rightly so , we as the customer should expect value for money , occasionally things go wrong but as long as they are addressed and dealt with in a timely manner and a great experience has been had then that’s all I expect from any service I use, I’m not looking for a friend .

I am sailing on Onward on 17 Jan and looking forward to it, I’m not expecting everything to be a  💯 as nothing in life is except paying tax and death ! But I’m certainly expecting a good time

Edited by Rosroz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, uktog said:

But I do like to focus on sharing facts and if appropriate counter views.

And sharing "appropriate counter views" is exactly what has happened on this thread.  No one who was not on the protester's cruise can say her opinion of that cruise was wrong, and no one has, contrary to Hamrag's accusation.  Or that her preferences for entertainment or pool deck atmosphere are wrong.

What others have posted is that their experiences have been different, and that their preferences are different.  They have every right to do this.  In fact, it's important that they do this, so that people reading this thread don't walk away with only the negative point of view based solely on one person's experience.

If someone posts that, say, food in a cruise line's main restaurant is subpar, and others follow with postings that their experiences in that cruise line's main dining rooms have been different, that the food has been fine, that isn't "backlash."  That's expressing a different opinion on the same subject, for the benefit of other readers of that thread.

• Like 16

If someone has cruise only with the larger, mainstream cruise ships and then tried Azamara, they might indeed find it boring.   Azamara is wonderful for port-intensive cruises, but if you are someone looking for a large variety of activities and entertainment options and compare it to a Royal Caribbean cruise, you are going to be very disappointed.

In my younger years, I probably would have been bored to tears on Azamara, but now, I’m quite happy doing trivia, watching the odd show, and enjoying cocktails in the Living Room or Den.  

I must admit, if I were doing a transatlantic cruise, I’d probably pick Celebrity over Azamara, as with that many sea days, I would probably be looking for a bit more variety of activities, and a larger selection of dining venues.

We are fortunate that there are cruise lines to suit every taste and that we have the means to enjoy them.

• Like 16

People seem to take it as an absolute extreme. Either silence, bean bag/bridge tossing as the main afternoon event or bellyflop competitions and a zoo around the pool

Something in the middle that caters for all should be found. Day before yesterday on a sea day the band played at the pool for 45 mins. The atmosphere lifted. I'd suggest they should have come back a couple of hours later.

Currently and Azamara don't advertise as a "silent" cruise, the balance isn't correct in my view. This cruise is advertised as a holiday cruise so you'd expect to have something a little more then long hours of nothing 

Another example of the "lazy" approach to the entertainment is the slides of the lecturers. They must be 25 years old. Anyone who does presentations for a living would be embarrassed to show them

The ship since we were on in August has improved in many ways. The staff and food are excellent.

A number of people have remarked & used the word "boring"

At the end of the day it's up to the cruise line

As an aside I've been on many different lines & go back on the Onward in March.

I could not agree more re the presentations and the lecturers, it is an area that needs a right shake up.  It is a woeful embarassment.

However as with all the comments unless people put them on their feedback forms there is no way things will get looked at so boring needs to be commented on.  OK comments can be ignored, but if they are not made they will always be ignored!!

• Like 3

I am on this cruise.  Azamara always makes the Christmas /new years cruise special.  And the panettone is delicious!  All of the Christmas treats have been so good. The food has been excellent-  we are mostly eating in windows and enjoying the different theme nights.  We had Christmas Eve, dinner and Christmas dinner in discoveries. And they had a special menu for each of them and made it a very nice evening.

We have met some lovely people and the crew has been excellent too.  The music in the den has actually been fun with the variety as Martin the cruise director worked to fill the gap until the new piano player joined. Jules has been on a few days now. 

There have little changes like the containers that hold the toppings for the frozen yogurt were changed out to matching white with decorative edging, and extra silverware in windows are in labeled container instead of on a plate with a napkin to protect. 

I was on the Dec 12 cruise too, and noticed the difference with the about 100 more people.  The lunch buffet can get crowded if you time it wrong.  The patio for dinner is much busier than last cruise which had three nights in a Row with no one so they closed it the last three nights of that cruise.   

The shows at night have been very good. The signature singers and dancers and their show are well done and well choreographed.  The Christmas show was very warm and fuzzy.    Last night we had a comedian who just came on who will do two shows, the Cameron family did two shows- plus the previously mentioned jam session in the den and Alex’s performance of the Tchaikovsky.  Martin did his show the other night and we had the azamazing evening in Cartegena which was enjoyable.   I find any bit of cultural access to be valuable. 

I don’t usually attend the lectures or so the activities so can’t comment on those.   I am on my 6th book- all from the library in the living room, full of books that I want to read. And I use the Gym on most days.   The days are full in the just the right way for me. 

We are in curacao today for New Year’s Eve which will combine  with white night. We are parked at the mega dock - the last time I was here on journey- we were parked inside of the floating bridge.  So- a new experience.   The temperature  is gorgeous at just below 80, windy and a few rain showers.  Nice not to have the oppressive heat. 

This cruise is clearly a lot of work for the crew. And each time we lose an hour, they look even more tired. But they are full of smiles they use our names, they’ve learned our drinks, and they are making it all very special.

that’s my point of view!  

happy New Year!

Edited by PAtravelbug
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 3

49 minutes ago, boxman52 said:

People seem to take it as an absolute extreme. Either silence, bean bag/bridge tossing as the main afternoon event or bellyflop competitions and a zoo around the pool

Something in the middle that caters for all should be found. Day before yesterday on a sea day the band played at the pool for 45 mins. The atmosphere lifted. I'd suggest they should have come back a couple of hours later.

Currently and Azamara don't advertise as a "silent" cruise, the balance isn't correct in my view. This cruise is advertised as a holiday cruise so you'd expect to have something a little more then long hours of nothing 

Another example of the "lazy" approach to the entertainment is the slides of the lecturers. They must be 25 years old. Anyone who does presentations for a living would be embarrassed to show them

The ship since we were on in August has improved in many ways. The staff and food are excellent.

This is, again, a perfect example of a difference in opinion.  And I just spent time with a senior officer pointing out a number of issues that should be fixed, so I am not a pollyanna.

I very much dislike the loud music the contracted outside band plays by the pool.  We've avoided lunch at the Patio because the loud music at 12:30 is so intrusive and, to us, not in the least entertaining.  The last thing I want is to have them return later to play again.

And the Cabaret has been packed for the talks from the former U.S. intelligence officer, with more questions than the 50 minute time slot can accommodate.

On port days the day is not packed with on-board activities.  Azamara's a destination cruise line.  On sea days, it has plenty.  Whether these appeal to someone is, once again, a matter of personal preference.  If someone doesn't like trivia, doesn't play bridge or mah Jongg, dislikes deck games, has no interest in art lessons, etc., and wants more than two enrichment lectures and a Q&A session with a senior officer or two during the day, it may come down to sitting in a deck chair and having a good read with a tea or coffee.  The stollen is also delicious, by the way, as is the panettone.

Let me be clear:  I am not saying boxman's opinion is wrong, but expressing a "counter view."  [Love that description.]

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 8

38 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

And the Cabaret has been packed for the talks from the former U.S. intelligence officer, with more questions than the 50 minute time slot can accommodate.

Let me be clear:  I am not saying boxman's opinion is wrong, but expressing a "counter view."  [Love that description.]

I believe this gentleman was onboard on the 30/11 sailing and I referenced him then in the Anyone currently onboard thread -  my husband found his talks very engaging.  I think the issue most people had was the destination lecturer where the talks continue to be disjointed and of course we had some scheduled for AFTER we had visited the port.  Not the lecturers fault but he was then not able to flip what he was saying away from the "look out for" type comments so when I watched excerpts later (I did not give up other activities to go live) it very much felt like "here is one I made earlier and this is what you are getting"

I think it is good people know the range of entertainment is modest and for some boring.  That way people will know to bring their own entertainment and be prepared to use it.  Maybe the reason I did not feel "bored" is I see what was provided by the cruise line as "possible activities" but with my iPods, books, crossword books and other things I always have enough to relax with during a sea day without relying on the ship.  

I do expect the ship to provide a variety of entertainment in the evening.  Some cruises I am always in the Den, other cruises I prefer the Living Room, sometimes a mix - again not every show will be for every cruiser

• Like 7

2 hours ago, uktog said:

I think it is good people know the range of entertainment is modest and for some boring.  That way people will know to bring their own entertainment and be prepared to use it.

This is a great perspective on this thread, thanks.  I would also apply it to the poor reviews of the port lecturers.  My experience on a wide range of cruise lines is that port lecturers are rarely of any value [to me], except on river cruises where they are describing the included options to help you choose the best one [for you].  So I always do my research long before sailing – and I bring my Rick Steves and am prepared to use it!  😀

• Like 5

19 hours ago, boxman52 said:

I totally agree something that caters for all should be found. The pool area in my opinion is too small  for a loud band. A bit of background music or a few sets from an acoustic guitarist would be nice. It would create a bit of a fun holiday atmosphere,  We’ve had this on other lines and it was well received. Another passenger we met had brought his own guitar with him and played at the pool bar one afternoon without an amp. Everyone was saying how great it was to hear some music.
Our cruise wasn’t port intensive and as   the majority were Brits and only 80 out of 280 had managed to obtain an Indian visa this meant they had  6 straight days onboard from embarkation. We managed to get our visas but from talking to others who couldn’t get off  many were going stir crazy. Unless  you wanted to lie sunbathing all day there was next to nothing going on around the ship and Azamara were aware many would have to stay onboard due to the visa issue.  I did complete the survey at the end of the cruise as I always do after any cruise and highlighted the areas I felt could be improved.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Edinburghgirl1 said:

I totally agree something that caters for all should be found. The pool area in my opinion is too small  for a loud band. A bit of background music or a few sets from an acoustic guitarist would be nice. It would create a bit of a fun holiday atmosphere,  We’ve had this on other lines and it was well received. Another passenger we met had brought his own guitar with him and played at the pool bar one afternoon without an amp. Everyone was saying how great it was to hear some music.
Our cruise wasn’t port intensive and as   the majority were Brits and only 80 out of 280 had managed to obtain an Indian visa this meant they had  6 straight days onboard from embarkation. We managed to get our visas but from talking to others who couldn’t get off  many were going stir crazy. Unless  you wanted to lie sunbathing all day there was next to nothing going on around the ship and Azamara were aware many would have to stay onboard due to the visa issue.  I did complete the survey at the end of the cruise as I always do after any cruise and highlighted the areas I felt could be improved.

My guess is that Azamara were not aware of the Indian Visa issue for the majority until people boarded, doesn’t leave much time to make plans.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

My guess is that Azamara were not aware of the Indian Visa issue for the majority until people boarded, doesn’t leave much time to make plans.

Is it very difficult nowadays to obtain an Indian visa? 

17 minutes ago, Keeria said:

Is it very difficult nowadays to obtain an Indian visa? 

e-visas were suspended previously (pandemic) and were only reintroduced for UK passport holders in the last 3-4 weeks (after the cruise referenced). In person appointments were scarce and I assume for many too far in the future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grandma Cruising said:

They were aware of it as initially we were told no visa no boarding then we were advised we could board but had to remain on the ship when in the Indian ports.
The Indian Embassy took steps to release additional appointments every Saturday from the end of September  but by that time many had cancelled, moved to another cruise or decided not to spend the £295 per couple and just remain on board. There were only 480 on our cruise.

As I mentioned previously our cruise director was awful and many others on the Facebook page for  Azamara agreed and dont think he’ll last long with Azamara. 

• Like 1

Given that Azamara is a smaller ship, they also carry fewer entertainment staff so they do not necessarily have the capacity from the existing crew to run extra activities during the day.  (Crew can be off for extended hours during port days in line with their contract to reflect the extensive number of hours they work on sea days and the fact they are working a 7 day week).  There would  never have been the intention to offer much then and it would not have been possible to add things in at short notice. Just as guests had paperwork issues, its even harder to get documentation for crew, even those staying onboard, so it would not be easy for Azamara just to ask another person to be onboard.  If I had been going on a cruise knowing I was grounded onboard when others were ashore, I would have been working out my own entertainment (reading materials, craft etc) and bringing it with me.

If you are referring to Quest, the cruise director was always only on a temporary contract to fill in (as he posted on his Linkedin page) ahead of the usual director returning from leave (her previous alternate had opted to go and work elsewhere at short notice). Others are saying the gentleman was delightful and was just doing a short term to help out Azamara and was as good as any they have had recently.  I am not sure which Facebook page is being referred to (I do not follow most of them) however there can also be agendas on these pages, particularly if posters think someone else already part of the activities team whom they are friendly with should have been given the step up.  I have seen that happen several times recently.  I appreciate the poster here has no agenda other than to repeat her disappointment but others may be different.

OK lets just agree some people wanted more provided on port days, a time Azamara does not offer activities, some wanted more noise, others were happy with the noise level and lets drop it

• Like 9

Looking forward to our Onward  cruise in four days. Eight different Azamara cruises, 8 different experiences!  Our last Azamara Quest cruise  in November had two horrible cruise director opera singers with terrible shows, and inept captain. However, great piano player, band, art class and fun passengers who made the cruise fun. We are looking forward to good times this week however we have to figure them out. Hopefully the cd’s are excellent , shows upbeat and dancing going on in the living room at night. 

• Like 2

On 12/31/2022 at 5:09 PM, uktog said:

I could not agree more re the presentations and the lecturers, it is an area that needs a right shake up.  It is a woeful embarassment.

However as with all the comments unless people put them on their feedback forms there is no way things will get looked at so boring needs to be commented on.  OK comments can be ignored, but if they are not made they will always be ignored!!

Agreed.  They are also inaccurate in many cases.  I’ve tried to follow up with questions on the destination ones and been very quickly rebuffed.  Plus, for example, this openings lecture started “ I sure hope you have booked an excursion” followed by multiple recommendations to visit the caves whilst many of us there do not have an excursion booked because the cave ones have all been cancelled and the only remaining ones are to beaches.  

• Like 1

On 12/29/2022 at 10:10 AM, tgg said:

According to an Azamara source, this man will never play on an Azamara ship again. Yes, he was that bad.

Toni you are being a lady. Not sure how he landed here but kept the bar empty.

Coming to the end of an enjoyable Christmas & New Year Cruise on the Onward.

The ship is in better shape from when we were on board in August

Staff from Captain downwards have been outstanding. I'd say the less experienced are in the Windows in the evening.

Food has been excellent with just one or two meals being a little below par. My main gripe was the White Night food was none too warm. 

I'd say the atmosphere picked up as the cruise progressed. The early nights in the Living Room were quiet & people remarked on that. NYE seemed to invigorate people. It was an excellent night

The ports we have enjoyed with our independent tours seemingly better than the ship ones from talking to people

Downside still remains for me the lack imagination in the activities & entertainment. Same goes for the lecturers. For me reading the bullet points off one slide after another isn't acceptable

We are looking forward to coming back on the Onward at the end of March in Spain 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Silly me I went  And ate inside Abd had a great NYE meal.

my problem is this.on Quest and Pursuit the front page of Insider had the crew drill in big enough letters you knew when it was. Also the Insider on other ships made sure the Christmas buffet or NY Day was told on front page or second page,  not everyone reads back page. We waste to much space in lunch special or theme for DJ And forget  the important things.

First time Azamara on Dec. 1 & Dec. 22. Windows was hit and miss. Biggest problem was temperature of the food. The Den was a problem on Dec. 22. cruise. Sunshine band at the pool and the Cabaret Lounge were over 90db. Azamara band was much better. Our biggest issues were the BBQ's (smoke is overwhelming and they remove more than half of the deck chairs) and the shops are the worst I have ever seen. Men's shirts from $89 to $199. Joanie saw a watch for $240 which she found locally for under $100.