Bringing 19 year old friends without their parents?

Blondie511

20 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me why 19 year Olds need adult guardians? When I was 19 I had been out of the house and married for 2 years and completely self sufficient. Are kids that sheltered and not raised to be independent by 18 like my generation?  But the drinking age was 18 back then.

It's Carnivals rule.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I would consider signing something like that for my own kids, but I would NEVER take responsibility for the drinking of anyone else's underage kids.

I agree, and I don’t think NCL will issue the waiver unless it’s signed by a legal guardian onboard.

20 hours ago, roguebandit1441 said:

I'm sorry but could someone explain to me why 19 year Olds need adult guardians? When I was 19 I had been out of the house and married for 2 years and completely self sufficient. Are kids that sheltered and not raised to be independent by 18 like my generation?  But the drinking age was 18 back then.

The rule does not apply to a married couple but it comes down to it this is a come rule in the travel industry. You cannot rent a car if under 25. I am a member of a resort club where guest have to be 25 to check in. 

6 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

No it doesn't.  In fact, it states the exact opposite:

Guests Under the Age of 21 MUST travel with a relative or guardian of 25 years of age or older

• The guardian does not need to be a legal guardian.

Source: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2544/~/minor-guest-policy

I am curious to why I have to book an adult with the kids and others don’t have to 

11 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  Everyone has to book an adult with the kids.  Kids can never sail unaccompanied.

I can never book kids across the hall unless the adult is booked in the room with them   

1 hour ago, serene56 said:

I can never book kids across the hall unless the adult is booked in the room with them   

That's not policy either.  Kids can be in a cabin alone, but there are rules regarding how far away they can be.  And under 13 can't be in a balcony cabin without an adult.

6 hours ago, serene56 said:

I am not positive but I believe I have read that you have to call to book them in a separate room. The online system doesn’t allow it even though the written rules clearly do. I think it is because of the different requirements for where they can be booked depending on age. It would be a complicated though not impossible software program. Easier for a human to make these decisions. I book with a PVP and have been able to book under 21s in their own room without issue. 

Edited by lennythenose

4 hours ago, CajunOyster said:

That's not policy either.  Kids can be in a cabin alone, but there are rules regarding how far away they can be.  And under 13 can't be in a balcony cabin without an adult.

The girls are 17.   Booked directly across from me.   I had to book an adult in there and the other in the room with my other adult 

is is *not* directed at the OP, but in response to some of these posts.

Y'all are talking about the legal ramifications, and there are many valid points to that,. But I'd like to add that it does depend on the minor. I have raised three daughters and they all came with different trust levels. I am also a college professor. Worries about four 19 year old unsupervised on board are certainly warranted (although maybe not these specific 19 year old people).

Each cruise, I see a handful of adolescents interfering with other people's enjoyment of their cruise.  Remember, science tells us that the brain is not fully formed until one is 25 years old . That means that most folks under 25 are physically incapable of thinking, planning, and rationalizing as an adult. They cannot yet appreciate the possible consequences of their actions. If you ask an adolescent "What were you thinking?" - you must understand that they weren't. 

As far as the argument that at 18, one was married or in a war - yes, I agree our culture has changed. I am Gen X. In most cases, one cannot graduate high school and get a job with full benefits and a pension. One may need to get more education, and that Takes time and delays adulthood. The average age of marriage is now 30 and nearly half of adult children under 30 live at home with their parents. Rent is obscene, so independent living (and real adulthood) be delayed while folks gain experience and income.

Every semester, we have to explain to parents that they cannot attend classes with their child and, no, I will not talk to you about your child's grades or attendance. "Helicopter parenting" has arrested the development of many of your young people.

It sounds to me like policies that require these folks to have a guardian aboard know that. The fact is that if you chose to bring a guest(s) that need supervision, you have a responsibility to be sure that your guest is not disrespectful, rude and/or irresponsible. 

On 12/29/2022 at 6:02 PM, mz-s said:

You're not in the state of Texas, or any state for that matter, on a cruise ship so that's not really relevant is it?

If only that were true the drinking package would be available day 1 departing from Galveston.

On 12/29/2022 at 4:49 PM, Eli_6 said:

Geez.  The 19 year old we took with us was an adult with a full-time job, her own apartment and her own car.  And she had a kid by age 21.  I had a college degree by 21 and a doctorate by 27.  I guess that is the difference between boys and girls so long as the girls don't go boy crazy.  

I mean, I am very much a guy but I also got my PhD in my 20s and still found a way to party my ass off in every corner of the world while doing so haha. 

57 minutes ago, MsOne said:

If only that were true the drinking package would be available day 1 departing from Galveston.

Royal must know something Carnival doesn't because they figured out how to do it.

The age rules in general are stupid.  You can get drafted, fight and die or get your limbs blown off and have PTSD for rest of life at age 18 but you can't drink a beer or book a cruise.  A former coworker of mine landed a job flying a Hawker 800.  He can fly a multimillion dollar jet but is too young to rent a car.  Ridiculous.

Edited by SERK
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SERK said:

The age rules in general are stupid.  You can get drafted, fight and die or get your limbs blown off and have PTSD for rest of life at age 18 but you can't drink a beer or book a cruise.  A former coworker of mine landed a job flying a Hawker 800.  He can fly a multimillion dollar jet but is too young to rent a car.  Ridiculous.

Well he can buy his own car, right?  But if someone else owns the car (say, Avis or Hertz), they're perfectly within their rights making their rules.

Maybe you should right this wrong by buying up a bunch of cars and renting them to a bunch of 19-year-olds.  What could go wrong?

3 minutes ago, CajunOyster said:

Well he can buy his own car, right?  But if someone else owns the car (say, Avis or Hertz), they're perfectly within their rights making their rules.

Maybe you should right this wrong by buying up a bunch of cars and renting them to a bunch of 19-year-olds.  What could go wrong?

When you fly to a destination you can't bring your personal vehicle with you.  It's either an FBO courtesy car or a rental.