Question about carryon wine.

1 hour ago, davekathy said:

Almost knocked myself when I finally was able to get the cork out of the bottle. Have no fear, no wine was spilled.  😂

Was that because of the corkscrew or the four Corkscrews you had before trying to open the wine?

image.jpeg.6fd8cd57c5d5f1790f39accba0d74907.jpeg

🍸 Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, island lady said:

I am with Dave....those things can be dangerous at times.    😮  I cut my hand on one they gave me on the ship when I forgot my waiters key.   I could probably open a bottle of wine in my sleep using those slim waiter's keys.  

I never knew the actual name for those. Thanks. All I know is they work great without inflicting bodily harm. I have a couple of them. A friend gave us a fancy schmancy cork screw thingey and an aerator but I ended up donating them both to a local goodwill. I like to keep it KISS. 

• Like 1

On 12/30/2022 at 12:19 PM, DallasGuy75219 said:

I always fly and cruise with a travel corkscrew (see picture) in my carry-on and have not had it confiscated by TSA over hundreds of flights or by security on an untold number of cruises on at least 5 different cruise lines.  What isn't allowed though is a corkscrew with an attached knife (to cut the seal over the cork).

TSA rule:

Corkscrews (with no blade)

Carry On Bags: Yes

RC rule: 

Prohibited items:

Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors.

84eb6c14-fe0c-404f-85fa-d03f8a636c63_1.61c2862d770e7554fda8ef34606080ee.jpeg

This is the one that was confiscated when boarding flight in Barcelona a few years back.  Had made it thru carry on previously.

3 minutes ago, gfkcruiser said:

This is the one that was confiscated when boarding flight in Barcelona a few years back.  Had made it thru carry on previously.

Apparently Spain has much more ambiguous rules about what's allowed in carry-on luggage. In fact security personnel can prevent you from carrying on just about anything they damn well want to.

https://www.aeropuertobarcelona-elprat.com/ingl/objetos_prohibidos_1070.htm

"Security staff may also deny access to the boarding area and the aeroplane cabin to any passenger in possession of an object which, even if not considered forbidden, arouses their suspicions."

"There is no a specify or definitive list of dangerous objects due of its ambiguity (rods, tripods, sports accessories ...). The final decision rests with the security staff."

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I never knew the actual name for those. Thanks. All I know is they work great without inflicting bodily harm. I have a couple of them. A friend gave us a fancy schmancy cork screw thingey and an aerator but I ended up donating them both to a local goodwill. I like to keep it KISS. 

Me too.   These are what I always had with me in the wine business, and could get boxes of them for free.  I also used them as hand outs or prizes when I would teach a wine class.  They are indeed simple and easy to slip into my carry on.  🙂  The common name is waiter's corkscrew...but we always called them "waiter's keys".   Of course I had to show you one in pink.  😄 

Pink Corkscrew Doubled Hinged Waiters Wine Key Bottle Opener with Foil  Cutter - Walmart.com

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Me too.   These are what I always had with me in the wine business, and could get boxes of them for free.  I also used them as hand outs or prizes when I would teach a wine class.  They are indeed simple and easy to slip into my carry on.  🙂  The common name is waiter's corkscrew...but we always called them "waiter's keys".   Of course I had to show you one in pink.  😄 

Pink Corkscrew Doubled Hinged Waiters Wine Key Bottle Opener with Foil  Cutter - Walmart.com

Going back to OP's original question, these are not allowed in carry-on luggage for a flight or in any luggage on a cruise ship due to this knife:

images.jpg

2 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Going back to OP's original question, these are not allowed in carry-on luggage for a flight or in any luggage on a cruise ship due to this knife:

images.jpg

Not my many years of cruising experiences. Mine is always in our first aid kit in our checked luggage. Flying and cruising. Never ever had an issue with the cruise lines. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Not my many years of cruising experiences. Mine is always in our first aid kit in our checked luggage. Flying and cruising. Never ever had an issue with the cruise lines. 

Are we really going there? Royal prohibits "Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors." 

Just because it hasn't been confiscated from your luggage doesn't mean it won't be confiscated from someone else's.  Just like run runners and alcohol in checked bags. 

Get called to the naughty room for something expressly prohibited by Royal and what are you going to argue?  Some guy on Cruise Critic says these have never been confiscated from his luggage?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

Are we really going there? Royal prohibits "Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors." 

Just because it hasn't been confiscated from your luggage doesn't mean it won't be confiscated from someone else's.  Just like run runners and alcohol in checked bags. 

Get called to the naughty room for something expressly prohibited by Royal and what are you going to argue?  Some guy on Cruise Critic says these have never been confiscated from his luggage?

Go anywhere you want. 😂 Another thing I always pack in our first aid kit is my mustache scissors. Personal grooming scissors with blades less than 4 inches are allowed. The 1.25 inch foil cutter on my waiters corkscrew/key apparently isn't considered a knife.

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

The 1.25 inch foil cutter on my waiters corkscrew/key apparently isn't considered a knife.

It is in the eyes of Royal Caribbean and that is what matters the most. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

Go anywhere you want. 😂 Another thing I always pack in our first aid kit is my mustache scissors. Personal grooming scissors with blades less than 4 inches are allowed. The 1.25 inch foil cutter on my waiters corkscrew/key apparently isn't considered a knife.

There's an exception for personal grooming items and scissors with blade length less than 4 inches, no exception for knives. 

14 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

images.jpg

And that is why I posted that I took the tiny knife out of it, which is allowed in a flight carry on.  

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

Which is exactly right.   I keep the knifeless one in my carry on, but also have at least one or two in my checked bag.   And like you....never, ever....had a problem in the 30 years I have been cruising.  🙂 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

Yup, both Bucky and I have small scissors in our "ditty bag" which is actually in our carry on bag when it's a "drive to" port.  Never a problem.  We just take them out if a flight is involved to get to port.  

I think they are looking at someone trying to take on a machete...that may just catch their attention. 😱 Not to mention that nice sharp steak knife they give you at dinner on the ship.  😄 

• Like 1

While we are on the subject...does anyone know if RCCL also considers alcohol removed/NA wines in the same category as 2 per adult in the cabin for carry on? I pre-purchased 2 bottles of NA Sparkling Brut through RCCL but want to carry on some as well ($12-18 a bottle versus the $28 per bottle with RCCL)? 

5 minutes ago, mandyleighflies said:

While we are on the subject...does anyone know if RCCL also considers alcohol removed/NA wines in the same category as 2 per adult in the cabin for carry on? I pre-purchased 2 bottles of NA Sparkling Brut through RCCL but want to carry on some as well ($12-18 a bottle versus the $28 per bottle with RCCL)? 

As long as it is the allowed 750 ml bottle, they will not inspect the label to see if it is any different than full alcohol bubbly, which wouldn't matter anyway.   It will simply go through the scanner as a regular bottle of bubbly.  No worries.

However, the allowed limit is two per cabin...not two per adult.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, island lady said:

I am with Dave....those things can be dangerous at times.    😮  I cut my hand on one they gave me on the ship when I forgot my waiters key.   I could probably open a bottle of wine in my sleep using those slim waiter's keys.  

I put bottle on floor, hold with feet, and pull up like starting a lawnmower😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

As long as it is the allowed 750 ml bottle, they will not inspect the label to see if it is any different than full alcohol bubbly, which wouldn't matter anyway.   It will simply go through the scanner as a regular bottle of bubbly.  No worries.

However, the allowed limit is two per cabin...not two per adult.  

Thank you!! Also good to know about per cabin and not per adult! I will have my mom bring some for me then as she is in a separate cabin, that should work fine. 

• Like 1