Daily Service Charge

gmbhardy

This is by far my favorite topic on CC. By far. I tune in mostly because I enjoy the VERY rare accounts of people that have removed or reduced.

(Hint: If you have one, share it. What day of your cruise did you stand in line to have it removed? What did you say? What did they say? How was the reduction handled if prepaid — OBC, back on CC?)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, New2cruise2022 said:

This is by far my favorite topic on CC.

My favorite topics are the first hand reviews of cruises as they are being sailed (e.g. @YVRteacher's entertaining reports, including her father's latest complaints).  Tipping, DSC, Coke vs. Pepsi, "is it or isn't it a sale," etc. threads just provide filler and, on occasion, some comic relief.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

My favorite topics are the first hand reviews of cruises as they are being sailed (e.g. @YVRteacher's entertaining reports, including her father's latest complaints).  Tipping, DSC, Coke vs. Pepsi, "is it or isn't it a sale," etc. threads just provide filler and, on occasion, some comic relief.

I agree with everything here. They are certainly more productive/educational posts. But the filler posts are always entertaining, without fail. 

• Like 1

My favorite thread was about Pepsi.

The thread claimed that she had booked a Deluxe Owners Suite for herself and two daughters for a seven day cruise.  She discovered once she was on the ship that NCL only served Pepsi products.  She reported that the cruise was completely ruined because she and her daughters only drank Cokes.  She was demanding a refund (after the cruise) of over $15000.  She felt this refund was justified because NCL was deliquent in not notifying her at booking that no Coke products were available.

Then there were the threads about passengers pulling rank.  Evidently, some passengers had taken to having professional looking badges made that displayed their stutus.  These passengers were demanding  bartenders, waiters, matre'd's should serve them first because their status with the cruise line is "Penultimate".

And, who could forget the lady whose dinner was completely ruined by the sight of a man's bare legs.

• Haha 8

31 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My favorite thread was about Pepsi.

The thread claimed that she had booked a Deluxe Owners Suite for herself and two daughters for a seven day cruise.  She discovered once she was on the ship that NCL only served Pepsi products.  She reported that the cruise was completely ruined because she and her daughters only drank Cokes.  She was demanding a refund (after the cruise) of over $15000.  She felt this refund was justified because NCL was deliquent in not notifying her at booking that no Coke products were available.

Then there were the threads about passengers pulling rank.  Evidently, some passengers had taken to having professional looking badges made that displayed their stutus.  These passengers were demanding  bartenders, waiters, matre'd's should serve them first because their status with the cruise line is "Penultimate".

And, who could forget the lady whose dinner was completely ruined by the sight of a man's bare legs.

Classics.  All of them.  We come here to learn, but we return for the entertainment. 🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think my favorite reading is when someone post or ask a question that has nothing to do with what type of cabin you are in.. But guarantee someone will drop the line " well I'm in the Haven or Presidential suite and the answer to your question is" ........They will all start hinting at the nicer type cabins they are in.

luv it 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DAVLIB007 said:

I think my favorite reading is when someone post or ask a question that has nothing to do with what type of cabin you are in.. But guarantee someone will drop the line " well I'm in the Haven or Presidential suite and the answer to your question is" ........They will all start hinting at the nicer type cabins they are in.

luv it 

Well, if I paid five times more than I needed to in order to have an enjoyable vacation, you can darned well bet I would take every opportunity to brag about it!

(disclaimer: I gave up bragging in elementary school when I figured out that it wasn't impressing anybody and more likely to result in unintended consequences 🤣)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, gmbhardy said:

Why is the Daily Service Charge discretionary?

The main US focused cruise holding companies all list their stock on US stock exchanges and are therefore subject to US accounting rules.

Gratuities, such as the daily ones (not to be confused with the services charges that are fixed and not discretionary) under those accounting rules are not consider to be income to the cruise lines and payment of those funds to crew are not considered to be expenses.  This has benefits for both the crew and the cruise line.

This is true provided some rules are met.  Two of the major ones are 1. They must be discretionary  (able to be changed or removed by the customer) and 2. All funds received must be distributed to the crew.

Since the daily gratuity charge is a substantial amount of money it would be noticeable if the cruise lines were to deviate from this accounting practice and start considering tips as revenue and payments to crew as expense.

8 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Probably a good question for the folks at NCL who would have the answer.  You'll just get guesses here.

Dude...have you ever spoken to the folks at NCL?  You'll just be getting guesses there, too.  At least the people here have actually been on cruises and can make believable responses - - and if not believable, al the very least they will be colorful.

• Haha 4

15 hours ago, DAVLIB007 said:

luv it 

I like the posts where someone drops the line "well, we have Penultimate Status" and the answer to  your question is "......", then begin discussing how much they enjoyed dining with the captain...

• Haha 2