A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

4 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

I agree everything is a choice; I too have downsized to give myself more choices.  The biggest hurdle was accepting that I will mostly be traveling alone; now that I have I am planning longer trips.  Right now I can only do about 30 days at a time (I have 2 of those this year 💃).  Someday maybe I will get to do longer stretches away.

Sounds like you have made some wonderful choices mchell!  When you can imagine, the universe has something to work with to provide.  I stumbled on the whole concept of world cruises by accident.  We had just taken our first Silversea cruise in 2012.  It happened to be the cruise right after the 2012 World Cruise had ended on the Lady Whisper.  When we got home I started looking at World Cruises and dreaming.  When Myster retired we started to plan seriously.  After 2016 we were hooked!

• Like 2

Shall we chat about the eye-watering costs of travel insurance?  As part of the planning process related to determining the total cost for this leaky pipe dream I wanted to get a rough idea of what travel insurance would cost us.  We completed the required health questionnaires and they were submitted by our travel agent to the main supplier of this product in Canada.  We had been insured by this company for both previous big adventures.  And no claims were filed for either. Our health status hadn't changed but, obviously, we are older.  The quote (which was good for 3 month) was 75% higher than what we paid in 2019.  We're talking an increase of $15,000.  Now, this increase is definitely driven by the nasty.  I, of course, tried to find an alternative insurer here in Canada.  Most would not cover anything over $25,000.  Some would insure more but the trip interruption was capped at $20,000.  Some would not provide Emergency Health Care coverage.  Not good enough.  We will purchase the insurance from the previous supplier when we make the final payment in July.  We will need to resubmit the health questionnaires.  Not sure what the new quote will be.  

4 hours ago, mysty said:

Shall we chat about the eye-watering costs of travel insurance?  As part of the planning process related to determining the total cost for this leaky pipe dream I wanted to get a rough idea of what travel insurance would cost us.  We completed the required health questionnaires and they were submitted by our travel agent to the main supplier of this product in Canada.  We had been insured by this company for both previous big adventures.  And no claims were filed for either. Our health status hadn't changed but, obviously, we are older.  The quote (which was good for 3 month) was 75% higher than what we paid in 2019.  We're talking an increase of $15,000.  Now, this increase is definitely driven by the nasty.  I, of course, tried to find an alternative insurer here in Canada.  Most would not cover anything over $25,000.  Some would insure more but the trip interruption was capped at $20,000.  Some would not provide Emergency Health Care coverage.  Not good enough.  We will purchase the insurance from the previous supplier when we make the final payment in July.  We will need to resubmit the health questionnaires.  Not sure what the new quote will be.  

Yikes!  I have already checked out my credit card insurance. It covers travel for up to six consecutive months and coverage in all fields is very good, so I am happy to stick with that.  (Allianz.)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Yikes!  I have already checked out my credit card insurance. It covers travel for up to six consecutive months and coverage in all fields is very good, so I am happy to stick with that.  (Allianz.)

Excellent!  Our credit cards do not cover travel.   Especially over the age of 65.  We're both into our 70's.  That's when it seems to become more expensive to insure travel.   We were both under 70 in 2019. 

Still working on cruise planning and prep.  We ordered a new medium check-in piece of luggage by Briggs & Riley and it was delivered today.  Pricey to be sure and we love this brand.  Very happy bumpkin!  Now I'm just hoping we get to use it! 😅

• Like 3

One of the storage solutions we use are collapsible fabric boxes.  Since the update to the Silver Shadow the wonderful plentiful cabinets have disappeared.  Now there are drawers in the desk area and open spaces in the bedside tables and side tables.  We will bring 4 of these....

640126865_WayfairBasicsCollapsibleFabricBin.jpg.bd487b9c46acade0c900956c68ab1a2f.jpg

They will be used to store the miscellaneous chargers and cables.  They will also serve as a repository for various first aid items, extra vitamin bottles, etc. under the sink area in the bathroom.  They fold flat for easy packing and they are light weight.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Great tip, Mysty. 

One of my virtues which Myster sometimes considers a vice is my discomfort with clutter (especially in a suite measuring 32 sq meters including the balcony).   The box solution gets most of the potential clutter out of eyesight.  That works for me! 😅

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mysty said:

One of the storage solutions we use are collapsible fabric boxes.  Since the update to the Silver Shadow the wonderful plentiful cabinets have disappeared.  Now there are drawers in the desk area and open spaces in the bedside tables and side tables.  We will bring 4 of these....

640126865_WayfairBasicsCollapsibleFabricBin.jpg.bd487b9c46acade0c900956c68ab1a2f.jpg

They will be used to store the miscellaneous chargers and cables.  They will also serve as a repository for various first aid items, extra vitamin bottles, etc. under the sink area in the bathroom.  They fold flat for easy packing and they are light weight.

Can you give a link please?

5 hours ago, mysty said:

I hate clutter as well. At first I thought this was one of the 40cm square boxes from IKEA!  I like the idea of the small size for the bathroom.  I use two small packing cells, one for electronics/cables, and the other for my medical kit. So much neater on a shelf than loose stuff.

• Like 1

This will be the second time that we will visit Osaka.  In the serendipitous nature of things (before our first visit in 2019)  I found an interesting article in The Sunday Times from October 7, 2018....Top 10 Things To Do In Osaka written by Duncan Craig.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/top-10-things-to-do-in-osaka-r2v939wrs?shareToken=baf29f68bb604bfd72633e966e202807

Some of the ideas are a little quirky and they do sound like fun!

For example, from the article:

"Try takoyaki

If there’s one thing Osakans love to talk about, it’s their balls. Smeared in mayo, pickled with ginger, these lightly battered, octopus-filled dough balls are available on every street corner. You’re eating them at Dotonbori Kukuru, in the buzzing Dotonbori district, for three reasons: the cool, shoes-off seating in the back; the giant model octopus out front; and its Russian roulette takoyaki menu of eight pieces, one of which is filled with straight wasabi (£7); "

What caught my eye in this article was the mention of a sushi spot:

"Eat at Osaka ichiba zushi

There are swankier restaurants in Osaka, and certainly more famous ones: Genroku, the world’s first conveyor-belt sushi outlet, for one. But I defy you to have a better meal experience than at this diminutive counter restaurant, hidden away two blocks north of the Dotonbori canal. Beaming sushi maestros stand behind counters stuffed with swordfish, strips of octopus as long as watch straps, scallops, conger eel, sweet shrimp... every conceivable sushi ingredient. You point, they roll, your beer gets topped up liberally and the whole restaurant cheers you out when you leave (sushi from £1.35; 2 Chome-7-3 Shinsaibashisuji)."

We didn't explore the options mentioned in the article the last time.  Hoping we can squeeze some in for 2024.

• Like 3

As I mentioned in an earlier post one of the World Cruise events will be a dinner at Uluru.  Today something interesting popped up in my news feed.  The universe may be giving me a hint about this adventure.

https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/wintjiri-wiru

From the website.....

WINTJIRI WIRU SUNSET DINNER
Take your seat in the open-air desert theatre set upon a dune top. You'll be greeted with delicious cocktails, infused with native ingredients while taking in the incredible views of Uluru and Kata Tjuta. 

Embark on a culinary adventure with a gourmet dinner hamper where native ingredients are combined with modern culinary techniques to create a masterpiece for the palette. 

Then, as darkness falls, witness the Mala story brought to life like never before with ground-breaking technology. 

Choreographed drones, lasers, and projections will light up the desert sky in a modern, artistic expression of an ancient Anangu story. 

1505324195_10b_Kurpany124.jpg.8c0a929dfbce69edea1b2d85d24a4d1c.jpg

Can't wait to find out if this extravaganza will be our event.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

There are several dinner events at Uluru

TBH I was a little sad when I saw this.  It seems it is becoming more theme park than indigenous land.  

They seem to be continually adding “attractions “

We were lucky to see Uluru "au naturel" years ago.  This presentation may be gilding the lily.  It may be infringing on native culture.  It may be entirely disrespectful.  And it may not be our particular offering.   We don't really know that yet!  Our event could be a very respectful presentation of the history of the Anangu.  But history in whatever form is important.  Especially when people's attention span is a microsecond!  

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsWaldo said:

There are several dinner events at Uluru

TBH I was a little sad when I saw this.  It seems it is becoming more theme park than indigenous land.  

They seem to be continually adding “attractions “

Mrs Waldo,  I am thinking I didn't understand the source of your sadness relating to my post.   I'm sorry!  What I should have asked is.....what is the source of your sadness on this issue.   You are closer to the nature of this than I am and your insights would be appreciated!

34 minutes ago, mysty said:

Mrs Waldo,  I am thinking I didn't understand the source of your sadness relating to my post.   I'm sorry!  What I should have asked is.....what is the source of your sadness on this issue.   You are closer to the nature of this than I am and your insights would be appreciated!

I think it’s the fact that it is a spectacular location in its own right.  
A few years ago they added a light walk for night time.

Now they are adding another light display feature 

One of the most spectacular parts is the viewing of the night sky.  By adding more and more light based things then that aspect slowly begins to fade, literally.

I also worry about the impact on the nocturnal animals as the lights increase 

I think the cultural aspect and story telling is exceptionally important. I’m glad the traditional owners are involved.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mysty said:

We were lucky to see Uluru "au naturel" years ago.  This presentation may be gilding the lily.  It may be infringing on native culture.  It may be entirely disrespectful.  And it may not be our particular offering.   We don't really know that yet!  Our event could be a very respectful presentation of the history of the Anangu.  But history in whatever form is important.  Especially when people's attention span is a microsecond!  

This drone light show is the work of the local indigenous people who manage that area.  It hasn't officially started yet.  The display will be conducted during "dinner in the desert".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

This drone light show is the work of the local indigenous people who manage that area.  It hasn't officially started yet.  The display will be conducted during "dinner in the desert".

Unfortunately it isnt.

they commissioned a light artist from Melbourne  

https://www.ramus.com.au/artist/

Its not Dinner in the Desert (aka SOS)

Just as Field of Light was done by a British artist....

Edited by MrsWaldo
  • Like 1

Thank you @MrsWaldo and @Port Power !  I appreciate the insights you have provided.  We were last there in 2002 (I think).  We were there for the sunset and the sunrise the next day.  At that time there were no "lights".   And living on the other side of our wonderful world we did not know about the incursion of multiple sources of light on what is a magnificent geological and cultural location.

I'm hoping that this is not an exploitation but rather a respectful presentation of history.

2 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

Unfortunately it isnt.

they commissioned a light artist from Melbourne  

https://www.ramus.com.au/artist/

Its not Dinner in the Desert (aka SOS)

Just as Field of Light was done by a British artist....

I meant that the local people managing the land made the decision to have the light show. (Not specifically the architects of the show, nor running it.). Like you, I love the night sky full of stars and also have concerns about the area becoming a “theme park”. Hopefully the drone show will complement the history.  Obviously the locals hope it will help bring tourists to the area. As if Uluru won’t on its own!

Mysty, it’s not exploitation, because as  @MrsWaldosaid, the local traditional caretakers have commissioned the work themselves.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Port Power said:

I meant that the local people managing the land made the decision to have the light show. (Not specifically the architects of the show, nor running it.). Like you, I love the night sky full of stars and also have concerns about the area becoming a “theme park”. Hopefully the drone show will complement the history.  Obviously the locals hope it will help bring tourists to the area. As if Uluru won’t on its own!

Mysty, it’s not exploitation, because as  @MrsWaldosaid, the local traditional caretakers have commissioned the work themselves.

Thank you Port!  Sometimes I sense an undercurrent that is not really there!  Overactive spidey senses!

One of the websites I use in planning is What's In Port.

https://www.whatsinport.com/

This site provides a lot of very useful information for over 1,200 ports of call.    For example, here is a snippet of what is provided for Lombok......

lombok.JPG.63089a6f79a78c0e0645dd446cc795a0.JPG

The red words/phrases will take you to the links such as the Cruise Schedule for the port where you can search by date to find your cruise ship.

There is also a useful section on Hints and Tips.

https://www.whatsinport.com/hints.htm

From the Hints.....

"Hop on/off tours are very popular among cruise passengers. Tip: in
sub tropic or tropic climates wait till the afternoon to take such tour:
most of the stores and often museums are closed anyway and it will
be much quieter aboard the bus.

Shuttles: Some cruise lines only announce their shuttles into port at
the last moment, sometimes only a day before arriving in port. They
do not want to jeopardize their often inflated excursion tours. Please
do your homework or enquire at the excursion desk."