A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

6 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

When I started my last job, (before I retired), I was replacing a woman who had taken a year’s sabbatical to travel the world. We put up a world map and traced her route while she was gone. 
Then, when she returned (and I kept my job) we put up the map. Every year people on the floor would put in pins for all the places they had been to, so we could see how far people went. It was fun to start a new session every year. 

As to the map, there is a really good map store in Ottawa https://www.worldofmaps.com/

There are also lots of world maps on Amazon.ca. 

Brilliant idea for an office map!  And thank you for the recommendations!  Much appreciated!

4 hours ago, mysty said:

There's a really cool site where you tick the countries you have visited and it colours in a map of the world for you.  Obviously you may not have visited the whole country but it is interesting to see what your world map looks like.

This is what ours currently looks like....

1605362986_VisitedCountriesMap.thumb.JPG.9896f06e94ee4792f4275a650cab3830.JPG

Here is the link if you are interested....

https://www.amcharts.com/visited_countries/

Mysty! When did you get to Madagascar? Did you stop there on a prior WC?

We have Brazil (we visited both sides of the falls), Greenland, Svalbard, and Ukraine where you've not gone yet. Some of Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, and the Balkans) too. And Venezuela if you count Isla Margarita...

I was disappointed that Antarctica isn't an option! At least we could mark South Georgia.

I didn't mark Poland or Serbia, though we've been to their airports, as we never went outside of the terminal. Chris thinks it's cheating to say that we "visited" there.

You've got us beat in the Far East and Southeast Asia though, by a long shot. We'll never visit Russia, and I don't know when China will let us in. We will pick up Indonesia and Singapore soon though! And Sweden in June. You've got a few more countries than we do in Africa as well - Kenya, Namibia, Ghana, Senegal...

Thanks for the link!

amCharts.thumb.jpg.51a5013c777f572da344aa68fa9ac427.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Mysty! When did you get to Madagascar? Did you stop there on a prior WC?

We have Brazil (we visited both sides of the falls), Greenland, Svalbard, and Ukraine where you've not gone yet. Some of Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, and the Balkans) too. And Venezuela if you count Isla Margarita...

I was disappointed that Antarctica isn't an option! At least we could mark South Georgia.

I didn't mark Poland or Serbia, though we've been to their airports, as we never went outside of the terminal. Chris thinks it's cheating to say that we "visited" there.

You've got us beat in the Far East and Southeast Asia though, by a long shot. We'll never visit Russia, and I don't know when China will let us in. We will pick up Indonesia and Singapore soon though! And Sweden in June. You've got a few more countries than we do in Africa as well - Kenya, Namibia, Ghana, Senegal...

Thanks for the link!

amCharts.thumb.jpg.51a5013c777f572da344aa68fa9ac427.jpg

We went to Madagascar on the 2019  WC.  Myster went ashore but I was struggling with a health issue.  He loved it!

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

She’s right!

Not according to the rules of the century club. As long as you get off the plane, it counts!

https://travelerscenturyclub.org/countries-and-territories

But - we have not put stars there on our travel map so according to our "house rules" she is, of course, 100% correct. As it should be!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Our flight back from Costa Rica to Miami had an emergency landing in Havana.  Sorry Chris, I tagged Cuba on my world map of travels!  [We did spend 5 hours in the airport terminal while American sent a new plane to pick us up – while is longer than some Hurtigruten port stops in Norway!]

PS – it's interesting on those maps how a stop in St. Petersburg colors in a huge portion of the globe!  Along those lines, our visits to Kusadasi check off Asia on our continents list...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Here is mine.
Russia was only St Petersburg so a bit of a cheat. 
We cancelled a trip from Bangkok to Japan and Tokyo to Tokyo cruise leaving next month (Regent Explorer) because my husband isn’t as well as we had hoped. That was going via the Philippines so would have a bit more filled in. 

image.thumb.png.39221c206ac2496e9b428c32c179b7de.png

• Like 1

I love all the maps!  So interesting to see people's priority destinations displayed.  Empty spaces are just invitations to explore!  And 57, your map wall is amazing!

When we have plans for extended trips involving many locations we register with Global Affairs Canada.  Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify us in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables us to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

For something like a world cruise, the registration does not provide enough space to list all the various ports.  I just complete the registration to the limit and then send them an email with the remaining ports and dates.  They update my registration and reply by email that the remaining spots have been added.

siac.registration-inscription@international.gc.ca

I'm not sure how many other countries provide this service.  For those considering a world cruise or a grand voyage it may be something you could explore.

Edited by mysty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mysty said:

I love all the maps!  So interesting to see people's priority destinations displayed.  Empty spaces are just invitations to explore!  And 57, your map wall is amazing!

When we have plans for extended trips involving many locations we register with Global Affairs Canada.  Registration of Canadians Abroad is a free service that allows the Government of Canada to notify us in case of an emergency abroad or a personal emergency at home. The service also enables us to receive important information before or during a natural disaster or civil unrest.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/registration

For something like a world cruise, the registration does not provide enough space to list all the various ports.  I just complete the registration to the limit and then send them an email with the remaining ports and dates.  They update my registration and reply by email that the remaining spots have been added.

siac.registration-inscription@international.gc.ca

I'm not sure how many other countries provide this service.  For those considering a world cruise or a grand voyage it may be something you could explore.

Australia does this too.  I’ve not registered on the past, but perhaps I should for the world cruise.  I do leave the itinerary with my son, with both the cruise company contact as well as my excellent TA.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Interesting that Tahiti and Easter Island are not included, unless Easter Island comes under Chile.  However, I don’t know how to import my map.  Only the script transferred here.

I just saved it to my computer as a jpeg and copied it in. (I tried the script first snd realized it doesn’t work.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Port Power said:

Australia does this too.  I’ve not registered on the past, but perhaps I should for the world cruise.  I do leave the itinerary with my son, with both the cruise company contact as well as my excellent TA.

We provide our kids with the itinerary, ship contact info and the access info to reach Global Affairs Canada.  If I remember the registration process correctly I put our daughter's contact details on the form.  With our world still off its axis, it might be a good idea to register Port Power.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Port Power said:

Interesting that Tahiti and Easter Island are not included, unless Easter Island comes under Chile. 

Tahiti is there as French Polynesia. Easter Island is not separate; as you point out, it's included in Chile.

• Like 1

I don't do maps, you will not be surprised to learn, but thought I would count up the countries I have visited, staying at least one night in each.  It is taking a long time, not sure  I can be bothered   If I ever finish it , I will tell you how many, but not name them!   Too boring.

Lola

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I don't do maps, you will not be surprised to learn, but thought I would count up the countries I have visited, staying at least one night in each.  It is taking a long time, not sure  I can be bothered   If I ever finish it , I will tell you how many, but not name them!   Too boring.

Lola

Please at least give us the count Lola!  You are a well-traveled lady!  🥰

4 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Tahiti is there as French Polynesia. Easter Island is not separate; as you point out, it's included in Chile.

My Son in Law always describes his heritage as half Chilean, half Rapanui (Easter Island).They had the first Rapanui wedding on the island for several hundred years in November.  It isn't recognised as official  They got married in Australia first

317440383_10228794138778410_7844908314034976256_n.jpeg

• Like 9

26 minutes ago, MrsWaldo said:

My Son in Law always describes his heritage as half Chilean, half Rapanui (Easter Island).They had the first Rapanui wedding on the island for several hundred years in November.  It isn't recognised as official  They got married in Australia first

317440383_10228794138778410_7844908314034976256_n.jpeg

WOW!  That's awesome! To celebrate the culture in such a way is heartwarming!  Thank you MrsWaldo!

• Like 2