A Silver Shadow Over The World - December 2023 to May 2024

mysty

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OK so I'm probably about to expose my ignorance here [just as I exposed my lack of awareness earlier today when I tripped over the fuel hose at a gas station and did a major job on my forehead – 10 stitches above the eye and 4 below], but ...

Could Canadians open a Charles Schwab Bank account in the US?  This would allow you to maintain a supply of US dollars and get a fee-free Debit card to use anywhere in the world.  You would also be a currency speculator, just like the big boys in finance!  😀 

[It might also put you on various government lists of money launderers?  As I said, this all comes from a vast reservoir of ignorance – plus maybe a little concussion  😉]

OUCH!!  Hope you heal quickly.

we try to use our Bank America card that doesn’t impose transaction charges for foreign purchases.  Additionally, we convert currency prior to leaving home for the countries we will be in most often on the trip, so we always have some for tips and brick a brack purchases

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

OK so I'm probably about to expose my ignorance here [just as I exposed my lack of awareness earlier today when I tripped over the fuel hose at a gas station and did a major job on my forehead – 10 stitches above the eye and 4 below], but ...

Could Canadians open a Charles Schwab Bank account in the US?  This would allow you to maintain a supply of US dollars and get a fee-free Debit card to use anywhere in the world.  You would also be a currency speculator, just like the big boys in finance!  😀 

[It might also put you on various government lists of money launderers?  As I said, this all comes from a vast reservoir of ignorance – plus maybe a little concussion  😉]

Hi Jazz, hope you feel better soon.

• Thanks 1

Update:  really nice stitches, getting compliments to the Doctor from many people!  Shiner developing as predicted, but eye hasn't closed so I can still see with both eyes.  Walmart Optical was able to re-insert the lens in my glasses and somehow they escaped without a scratch!  So the main issue now is my re-injured left knee which is quite stiff.  Maybe another round of PT is in my future.  But at this point I'm just very thankful that I still have a future, and that so many Angels were sent to get me though this!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

we try to use our Bank America card that doesn’t impose transaction charges for foreign purchases.

There are lots of credit cards that don't impose Foreign Transaction Fees [my favorite is the Citi Costco Visa – 3% back on travel and no annual fee or FTF, but you have to be a Costco member].  The trick is – if you have a Debit card with no FTF or ATM fees there is no need to get currency ahead of time and you can tailor your withdrawals to your immediate need and leave the area with no un-spendable local currency.

• Like 2

There were some interesting "happenings" on our past World Cruises that we had not encountered before.

In 2016 the World Cruisers were invited to dine with the Captain and Senior Officers.  We gathered in the Reception area on Deck 5 and were lead to Deck 3 to the Crew Bar for cocktails and then across the hall to the Crew Mess for dinner.  It was great fun!  The crew got to enjoy dinner in La Terrazza.

In 2019 there was a special Champagne and Caviar breakfast for the World Cruisers:

DSC05729.JPG.cdf27cfb6635a507f28084828184810f.JPG

DSC05730.JPG.1294793c4e1f8063c61df8298a34d077.JPG

Later, on that same cruise there was an "Around The World Lunch".  Very interesting concept.  Each of the bars, restaurants and venues had a different country's food on offer.  You could walk around the ship and sample.

Deck 4 (Restaurant):  Dessert and Coffee

Deck 5 (Reception):  Australia

Deck 5 (Main Bar):  Spanish

Deck 7 (La Terrazza):  Taiwan, Portugal, South Africa, China, Morocco

Deck 7 (La Dame):  France

Deck 8 (Panorama Lounge):  Japan

Deck 8 (Pool Deck):  USA, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Indonesia

It will be interesting to see what the "happenings" will be for the 2024.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

It will be for sure, especially since you’re going down and back from the San Fran.  As such, I would assume no food specialities from South America or Europe.

And I'm hoping for something awesome from Japan!  And maybe some choice Halibut from Alaska. 😁

On our Alaska cruise on another line in 2010 we tried to eat lunch off the ship as often as possible and searched for restaurants serving the amazing halibut.  

P1012073.JPG.57e8caf895747978a1a6b4deec10b50e.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mysty said:

And I'm hoping for something awesome from Japan!  And maybe some choice Halibut from Alaska. 😁

On our Alaska cruise on another line in 2010 we tried to eat lunch off the ship as often as possible and searched for restaurants serving the amazing halibut.  

P1012073.JPG.57e8caf895747978a1a6b4deec10b50e.JPG

Mysty on our only Alaskan cruise we caught the fresh halibut. It was on an 8 person boat though. much better than SS for that particular cruise.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Mysty on our only Alaskan cruise we caught the fresh halibut. It was on an 8 person boat though. much better than SS for that particular cruise.

That must have been a slice of heaven!  Halibut is my dream fish! 😋

• Like 2

We have good friends who always went to Alaska for several weeks for Halibut fishing, her sister's hubby had a boat and spent the summer up there. They always had it frozen in serving size pieces and shared with us. Sadly that all ended several years ago, really miss it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Mysty  - here is the proof  !   us fishing in Alaska,  the huge cruise ship  we were on,  😲,  and all  the passengers in the main dining room  😉

Photo: Ann with her fish - bigger than Rons !!Photo: DinnerPhoto:Photo:

WOW!  Those are big fish!  The experience looks amazing!  Thank You!

I like to create a calendar prior to departure that I can put up on the wall of our suite with the port names by date for each month.  I use a printable, editable version. It serves as a quick reference for the upcoming ports and provides a place to note dinner plans and ship events. 

Capture.JPG.aee8a6f9021c64019a5ed58e97ba51a2.JPG

If interested the link can be found here.....

https://www.calendarlabs.com/view/2024-monthly-calendar-pdf/4565

• Like 4

3 hours ago, mysty said:

I like to create a calendar prior to departure that I can put up on the wall of our suite with the port names by date for each month.  I use a printable, editable version. It serves as a quick reference for the upcoming ports and provides a place to note dinner plans and ship events. 

That’s something I always used to do!  I had forgotten because of the pause in cruising.  Thank you for the link.  I remember pulling pages from a spare calendar for the same purpose.  I also received two fabulous magnetic bull clips on my mose recent cruise to replace those lost.

Edited by Port Power
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mysty said:

This can't be right!!!  Mysty's dance card is blank?  NO way!!!  🤣

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, mysty said:

I like to create a calendar prior to departure that I can put up on the wall of our suite with the port names by date for each month.  I use a printable, editable version. It serves as a quick reference for the upcoming ports and provides a place to note dinner plans and ship events. .........

GREAT IDEA  Mysty  !!!  We are on the Moon  for 54 days later this year.  😃

• Like 1

There are special events on World Cruises.  On the 2016 Venetian World Odyssey there were 3.

Shark Island (Sydney) - lunch and culture

DSC00796.JPG.1412a0268b428cc9b15ba1968cab19c7.JPG

DSC00803.JPG.196be704c522601035d9a7833d1cc235.JPG

Taj Mahal - lunch

DSC03420.JPG.e3a2b5c3fe2d98545c7f4baba07175ea.JPG

DSC03432.JPG.139c01f87ddcd39b8d91373c7fbf832d.JPG

Masked Ball in Venice in a gorgeous  building on the Grand Canal- dinner

On the 2019 Tale of Tales there were 4.  These were amazing!

Greeting the Tahitian Gods. - Papeete, Tahiti - lunch and entertainment

DSC05439.JPG.db2d356dee6047c5bc116bdb84ac1e3b.JPG

DSC05436.JPG.563aca50e0b1594556b26fb95e23331c.JPG

Legendary Japan - Osaka, Japan (2nt overland returning to TOKYO) 

DSC06255.JPG.0930eeb5fda527000bd2f2c7012536cf.JPG

DSC06287.JPG.1a8f90d1fa05b6cd0a6677815f36ed4b.JPG

DSC06379.JPG.fed23fed2b48477f8624812c49814a7a.JPG

A Walk Through History - Cape Town, S. Africa Robben Island

DSC07431.JPG.b37e9b549b2f4861ddf242c740337484.JPG

World Cruise meets World Class - Bilbao, Spain - Guggenheim - dinner and entertainment

DSC08165.JPG.870fbb6cf904d05de3b8ceae68579eaa.JPG

DSC08175.JPG.b9a94e44b73514fa36877fbeab3dc181.JPG

2023 World Cruise - All the World's a Stage

They had their first World Cruise event in Picton, New Zealand

Sauvignon at Sunset - curated wine-pairing dinner at Black Cottage

323445416_562549285777727_6615160845806621265_n.jpg.98c8afbb87bc7f69df7ba8b01fb845b1.jpg

For the 2024 Far East - West there are 4 planned special events.  Descriptions are from the Silversea website.

AN EVENING ON THE USS MISSOURI
Step back into the past and celebrate history with your fellow travelers during an unforgettable evening at the U.S.S. Missouri in Pearl Harbour. Beginning with a short drive, you’ll then board the iconic naval ship for an evening of 1940s fun and frolics! View the whole ship from the bow, enjoying Hawaii’s finest cocktails and canapés. Enjoy chatting to the knowledgeable docents stationed around the ship before watching the lowering of the flag at sunset. A night of big band Boogie Woogie awaits those who want to Chattanooga Choo Choo the night away, before returning to the Silver Whisper. Aloha indeed!

A UNIQUE NIGHT OF MAGIC AT ULURU
Australia’s beating heart is undoubtedly Uluru, a solitary mountain with desert stretching as far as the eye can see. The massive red rock, synonymous with Australia and such an iconic landmark, is a living cultural landscape where earth and memories exist as one. Begin this truly exceptional event by flying in a specially chartered aircraft from Darwin to Uluru. Once settled in to your hotel, you’ll depart to the foot of the mountain for cocktails and canapés and a traditional Aboriginal welcome. As the night sky twinkles to life, an interactive chef’s station where you’ll enjoy an Aussie inspired menu incorporating native bush ingredients will be opened to guests. We promise an exceptional evening.

WHERE MAJESTIC TEMPLES MEET
This one night overland gives World Cruisers the chance to imbibe in Indonesian heritage, enjoy a religious procession, dine under the stars and enjoy the sunrise at the world's biggest Buddhist monument! Starting with lunch and a visit to the Royal Palace, the experience continues after you have checked in to your hotel. Travel next to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Prambanan to witness a Hindu procession. After a guided tour, enjoy a delicious dinner in the shade of the temple, where you’ll be fed local Javanese and Indonesian specialties fit for a king! A visit to the magnificent temple of Borobudur on Java, also a UNESCO World Heritage Site, will be organized the following day. Early birds have the opportunity to make the 1.5 hour ride to the temple to see the sun rise, while others might prefer to visit this spectacular site a little later. Whatever you choose, don’t forget your camera!

THE PAST AND FUTURE IN COLOUR
Enjoy a unique subversive dining experience specially created just for you. You’ll go on a culinary journey from old Shanghai to modern China bathed in colour, sound and scent, for a truly unforgettable evening. This multi-sensory experience at a secret location will combine the world’s most modern technology with some of the world’s best food. Globally renown chefs will use UV lights to prepare bespoke menus that will result in perhaps the most avant-garde dining experience in the world.

Hopefully things will work out as planned.  Stay tuned.

• Like 4

We are still eagerly waiting for the special events to be posted to our 2024 Grand Africa and Arabia voyage.  Even the 2023 Grand Med that sails the beginning of October hasn't had their special events posted.  Is this unusual?  I seem to recall the special events for the GV we took last year were posted well in advance....

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

We are still eagerly waiting for the special events to be posted to our 2024 Grand Africa and Arabia voyage.  Even the 2023 Grand Med that sails the beginning of October hasn't had their special events posted.  Is this unusual?  I seem to recall the special events for the GV we took last year were posted well in advance....

Yes, the special events are typically planned well in advance of the voyage.  It may be that the original planned events are "up in the air" due to issues related to businesses closing, venues not being available, staffing shortages......Silversea is probably in the process of finalizing things before they announce.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, mysty said:

special events are typically planned well in advance of the voyage.

I spoke with Silversea's Events and Experiences Manager the beginning of August and he indicated the events would be posted "in the coming weeks".  5 months later, we are still waiting.  We were so impressed with the events on our Grand Med Voyage last year - very memorable...

• Like 1