Price Increase for Silver Spirits Package and Gratuities?

vslparis

Bringing our own onboard is not an option as we are cruising the Middle East. Alcohol even banned in a couple. And we aren't schlepping booze from Australia to India to start. 

Additionally there's nothing better than sipping on a professionally made cocktail watching the world pass by. And then having another. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 1/9/2023 at 2:57 PM, phil1107 said:

I had added the SS to my cart but did not pay. It was a shock to see a 28% increase (Canadian) on Jan 1.

I have no problem with price increases in this inflationary environment and I agree that the drinks are fairly priced. What I object to very strongly is the lack of motive. I have told Viking this. I hope that everyone else who is annoyed let’s them know.

Agree. My TA went to bat for us, but, as expected, didn’t get anywhere. 
The Viking rep even said it wasn’t “much” of an increase. 25%?  I call that much. Oh well, move on. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KaDarr said:

Well then, I don't understand Clay's comment about bringing your own wine/liquor squashing social interaction. We have definitely decided to not purchase the SS package. If we want to, we can buy a martini or whatnot at the bar but I think that having our own wine and maybe gin and vodka in our cabin is the best way to go. I won't feel like I have to keep drinking all day in order to get my money's worth. (Even though I'm sure it would probably be only two or three drinks that would cover that $25 per day)

So, that being said... I hope they sell some good wine and liquor in Bergen, Norway.

When will you be in Bergen?  We are beginning of July

A $5 increase per day for a 7 day cruise is $35.

If you paid $3500 each for your cruise, the increase is 1%.

If you paid $7000 each for your cruise, the increase is 1/2 of 1%.

Been to the grocery store recently??
If $35 each additional causes you a problem, you might want to reconsider cruising as a travel option. Or just don’t buy the drinks package.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Cruise prices are adjusted every year but I think this is the first time since Viking started Ocean Cruising that the Drink Package has changed.   When you look at it this way, I believe the 25% increase is completely reasonable.   Maybe they will go another ten years before it increases again.  Wouldn't that be great?

• Like 3

Silver Spirits package cost for our British Explorer cruise on July 8, 2023 is $350/per person.  No way can we drink enough booze to justify $25/day/person.  We are not big drinkers and we are just eh with the wine that is often served with meals so we will buy an upgraded glass or two of wine a day but even if the glass was $10 each (including tip) we would be out money.  So, we are not purchasing this expensive add-on.

1 hour ago, formernuke said:

The math on this is really unchanged. From an economic only perspective, it only makes sense if both cruisers drink more than 2 drinks a day. 

We have a cruise with many sea days. A repositioning one. Average of Two drinks a day on such cruises isn't difficult. I don't tend to drink wine with food, never have, so most likely all mine would need to be purchased. 

4 hours ago, formernuke said:

The math on this is really unchanged. From an economic only perspective, it only makes sense if both cruisers drink more than 2 drinks a day. 

At the old rate we used 5 cocktails and/or premium glasses of wine a day between both of us as our ruler. As my DW does not imbibe enough to hold up her end and I'm not able to take up the slack... we have  historically forgone the SSP. We did receive it gratis once on a 15 day river cruise. Try as I might, I'm just not that dedicated to drink. ☺

Will stick to paying as we go... Cheers 

Edited by Haqdeluxe
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, formernuke said:

Does anyone know if the bar prices (purchased separately) for wine, beer, liquor have gone up by 25%?  If so, the value of the SSBP is basically the same.

1 hour ago, Moonlion said:

Does anyone know if the bar prices (purchased separately) for wine, beer, liquor have gone up by 25%?  If so, the value of the SSBP is basically the same.

Others have stated on CC that the bar prices have also gone up ( a glass of wine that was $6 is now $8 for example so even more than 25% assuming I did the math correctly 🤣) so the value is pretty much the same . Some people think the SS package is a good value , others don’t . This is why it is good that you are given a choice to take it or not.  
Viking’s increase is better than on Oceania where the upgrade went from $20 per person per day to $30 pp per day .  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HUNKY said:

Shh...don't tell Viking.

My Holland America beverage package next month is $58 per person per day, and my Royal Caribbean cruise in October is $86!

It’s not an apples for apples comparison

Remember the Viking base fare includes drinks with meals (we don’t know how much is a recognition of the costs of providing that) so the Silver package is an upgrade on that whereas the Holland and Royal Caribbean packages are priced from an included base of zero 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2023 at 11:11 PM, letscruise29 said:

Hello. Someone on FB posted this. Perhaps benefits increased but I don’t have the same info to compare from current program or when this change takes place. 

86066BC6-5C20-4C0D-9AC5-5C355C67933A.jpeg

50% discount for premium tasting events? Didn’t those used to be free with the package? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WNcruiser said:

50% discount for premium tasting events? Didn’t those used to be free with the package? 

Seemed to be hit and Miss. On one cruise where we didn’t have SS it was “free” and of course on the cruise where we didn’t had it, they said the wine tasting wasn’t included 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WNcruiser said:

That is what I had thought. Surprised it says 50% savings now 🙁

The discount is on premium tasting events, which involve high end wines or liquor. I believe they run about $50 per person. The standard tastings were about $25.