Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Celebrity has only gone so far publicly as scaling back # of choices and charging for a second lobster tail; not as egregious as others. All I am saying is all these companies watch each other and they split hairs slightly differently. When it works for one, the others follow. You've seen 2 changes to MDR this week. Ever see anything not happen in 3's? 

Yep, the third one is I start cancelling cruises.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

It's not just Celebrity. Some of the more recent changes across the industry:  

Yes but for Celebrity it appears to be in a race to the bottom.  If you want to be a luxury line, you need to resist some of these changes and have tangible differences that make you a luxury line to the average cruiser.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yes but for Celebrity it appears to be in a race to the bottom.  If you want to be a luxury line, you need to resist some of these changes and have tangible differences that make you a luxury line to the average cruiser.

Odd comment, “luxury line to the average cruiser”

4 minutes ago, Oville said:

Odd comment, “luxury line to the average cruiser”

Really?  What's so odd?  Celebrity wants the average non-suite cruiser to believe that it's a luxury line.  For long term success they need to make the average cruiser have a luxury line experience.   If you're a suite guest, Celebrity is already trying to cater to you.  For the non-suite guest, it's just one cutback after another.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Really?  What's so odd?  Celebrity wants the average non-suite cruiser to believe that it's a luxury line.  For long term success they need to make the average cruiser have a luxury line experience.   If you're a suite guest, Celebrity is already trying to cater to you.  For the non-suite guest, it's just one cutback after another.

Whatever.  Clearly Celebrity is doing everything possible to make suite guests special.  My guess is you still haven’t cruised on an E-class ship where this is obvious.

Edited by Oville
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

Whatever.  Clearly Celebrity is doing everything possible to make suite guests special.  My guess is you still haven’t cruised on an E-class ship where this is obvious.

I guess I was correct.  You're a suite class guest that doesn't really experience the erosion of service on Celebrity.  Celebrity won't pay the bills by only catering to the suite guests on the E-class.  You'll be enjoying the suite class benefits until they send your ship to beach in Turkey.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

I guess I was correct.  You're a suite class guest that doesn't really experience the erosion of service on Celebrity.  Celebrity won't pay the bills by only catering to the suite guests on the E-class.  You'll be enjoying the suite class benefits until they send your ship to beach in Turkey.

We are a mixed bag, suites and AQs.  Loved them both on E-class.

27 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

Be careful of this one.  Nothing was reduced. 

That's semi-accurate. A month later they kicked Diamond Plus out of the Concierge Lounge for good. When RCI went to the voucher program, which they have refined and made better a few times, honestly; some Diamond Plus would still camp out in the Concierge lounge and try to run up drinks by schmoozing the staff.  This didn't really impress suite guests that watched D+ "Hold Court" over service. So Royal finally capitulated to the highest paying customers and booted the loyalty clients out.  

People knew exactly why they were now printing receipts and it was to tell the D+ that were doing this in a nice way that they were being tracked and no more unlimited drinks/lording over the staff.  

for trying to abuse the voucher program all D+ now have lost access to a dedicated GS staffer to resolve onboard issues, make appts, assist w luggage valet etc. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Celebrity purporting to be a luxury line while offering a mass-market product has always been a sore spot with me. At least now, they've finally abandoned all pretense and accepted who they are.

• Like 6

Sigh.  Being able to get away from the home routine to an ocean environment where we were pampered by Celebrity Cruises was always romantic for my wife and I.  Now with all the cutbacks, the romance could be gone and then it will be Celibacy Cruises for us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I am guessing, @LMaxwell, that your info involves a limit of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Maybe 2,  1,  and 1.  Seems a logical step

When you do decide it is time, do us all a favor (and especially yourself!) and start a new thread that references your prediction. We have already seen misunderstanding here caused by people who (proudly?) state they aren't reading the entire thread, but then opine in accusatory terms about things already discussed and explained. 

Incidentally, so many people post things they say they "heard" (not just on CC but on every internet board in existence) that it is natural to ask for sources. Many new people read CC who have no idea if anyone is credible or not. So try not to see it as people attacking you if they want to know where you get your info. Some of us have read you for years, but many still like to track things down (especially us lawyer types!). Misinformation and trolling plague us all! It would be nice if CC had a rumor-checking department.

Oh, yeah--if you hear good news, don't wait!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

Interesting approach.  Not sure it will work.  Last cruise we were on this past summer they could barely handle the crowds in the MDR.We opted for the Oceanview Cafe on more than one occasion because of the waits in the dining rooms. There were several stations closed with static displays of dried pasta, canned goods, etc.  The Oceanview is a lot of prime real estate to not utilize at night.  

Just now, SkystheLimit said:

Interesting approach.  Not sure it will work.  Last cruise we were on this past summer they could barely handle the crowds in the MDR.We opted for the Oceanview Cafe on more than one occasion because of the waits in the dining rooms. There were several stations closed with static displays of dried pasta, canned goods, etc.  The Oceanview is a lot of prime real estate to not utilize at night.  

Yep many times the MDR is very crowded for Select Dining, you would think the answer would be to add crew and enhance the OVC experience to reduce the load on the MDR.  Sadly, Celebrity has chosen to go in the opposite direction.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

If your big reveal is that they are reducing the number of Celebrity Signature Starters and Entrées in the MDR, that's already been posted and can be verified by looking at the menus for Beyond's current itinerary.

Another possibility: NCL is rolling out a menu that does not change all week on their newest ships. There are a fare amount of starters and entrees', but it does not change all week (maybe one entrée changes daily, I've lost track). 

Not sure how a MDR experience with no variety would work on a longer itinerary but NCL is giving it a whirl.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

Yep many times the MDR is very crowded for Select Dining, you would think the answer would be to add crew and enhance the OVC experience to reduce the load on the MDR.  Sadly, Celebrity has chosen to go in the opposite direction.

it is sad.  We've fortunately been able to cruise for many years.  Seems every time we reach the top loyalty level of a cruise line they change the game.  That's how we ended up at Celebrity several years ago.  We really don't ask for much but a decent buffet in the evening is a must.  So, guess we will wait and see if this new change sticks. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I am guessing, @LMaxwell, that your info involves a limit of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Maybe 2,  1,  and 1.  Seems a logical step

When you do decide it is time, do us all a favor (and especially yourself!) and start a new thread that references your prediction. We have already seen misunderstanding here caused by people who (proudly?) state they aren't reading the entire thread, but then opine in accusatory terms about things already discussed and explained. 

😁

Oh, yeah--if you hear good news, don't wait!

Quiz Time:....What does a KU Graduate say to a Mizzou Fan?......Welcome to Mcdonald's!! Can i take your order?....😁😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mpdog42 said:

Quiz Time:....What does a KU Graduate say to a Mizzou Fan?......Welcome to Mcdonald's!! Can i take your order?....😁😁

Actually, we say, "2022 NCAA Men's Basketball Division 1 Champions"....🙃

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

Actually, we say, "2022 NCAA Men's Basketball Division 1 Champions"....🙃

Yeah..Yeah..The State of Kansas has a school with a Semi-Pro basketball team🙄...Missouri has one of the Greatest Teams in Baseball History...The ST Louis Cardinals!!!!! 😜and i think the other baseball team is minor league???

Edited by mpdog42
  • Haha 1

Did X ever have if officially written somewhere that you could order room service dinner from MDR menu?  Many moons have passed since last I did that and I wonder if there will still be a room service, paid, option.  If the OVC offerings are a dud, a tray of multiple appetizers and/or soups could be my Plan C (on M-class aft balcony).  I'm going to specifically try that next month just to see how it goes.

32 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Did X ever have if officially written somewhere that you could order room service dinner from MDR menu?  Many moons have passed since last I did that and I wonder if there will still be a room service, paid, option.  If the OVC offerings are a dud, a tray of multiple appetizers and/or soups could be my Plan C (on M-class aft balcony).  I'm going to specifically try that next month just to see how it goes.

Hi Ruth,

As always we like your "work around" approach.

Happy New Year. Geoff and the boss (Anita)

Most lightly late to the party but hear is my take. I have not read the prior 24 pages so hopefully I am not repeating anything.

For Celebrity cruises over nine days we dine at the Oceanview Cafe twice for dinner, usually between 6 & 7 pm. I am always amazed how few people dine at the OV for dinner. Maybe it gets busy later. Not even close to the crowds at breakfast and lunch. I always wonder how much food is throw out. Apparently Celebrity has also noticed.

Now compare this Holland America. There Oceanview Cafe or Lido Restaurant is always very crowded for dinner. Recently on two HAL cruises and we had to eat in dining area of officers and staff due to no tables available. Years ago I was told that HAL Lido averaged around 100 passengers a nite in the Lido, now average over 500 a nite for dinner.

31 minutes ago, RedneckBob said:

Most lightly late to the party but hear is my take. I have not read the prior 24 pages so hopefully I am not repeating anything.

For Celebrity cruises over nine days we dine at the Oceanview Cafe twice for dinner, usually between 6 & 7 pm. I am always amazed how few people dine at the OV for dinner. Maybe it gets busy later. Not even close to the crowds at breakfast and lunch. I always wonder how much food is throw out. Apparently Celebrity has also noticed.

Now compare this Holland America. There Oceanview Cafe or Lido Restaurant is always very crowded for dinner. Recently on two HAL cruises and we had to eat in dining area of officers and staff due to no tables available. Years ago I was told that HAL Lido averaged around 100 passengers a nite in the Lido, now average over 500 a nite for dinner.

Last august we did a cruise on the Reflection followed a few days later by on the HAL Oosterdam. We were in a Sky Suite on the Reflection and a couple of nights we did dinner in the OVC after long shore tours that came back late and all we wanted was a quick bite, I noticed the same thing about how few were there at 7pm with all the nice food options. On the Oosterdam we did the same thing dining in the Lido a couple of nights and the crowds were much larger than on the Reflection to verify your observations.  The difference could be the fewer dining options on the older HAL ships than on most Celebrity ships. Celebrity has the MDR, Blu, Luminae, and 4 to 6 specialty restaurants depending on ship.  HAL on older ships has MDR, Pinnacle Grill and Canaletto and no real suite dining options. 

We started sailing on Celebrity because we liked being able to book suites and get a better feeling of Luxury without having to pay "Luxury" prices. Our first suite experience was a 9 day cruise on the Equinox and our Sky Suite cost was less than $600pp than an Aqua Class cabin and found this to be a better deal and cost than more premium lines. After considering the value of the Retreat amenities that first SS cost was actually less than the Aqua cabin. Now SS pricing for beyond our 2024 bookings have gotten so high that we are looking at other premium lines for our cruising dollars. Last week we booked our first Oceania cruise for Jan 2025 and if it meets our expectations, we may not be cruising with Celebrity beyond what we already have booked.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1