Oceanview Cafe dinner service being eliminated?

LMaxwell

49 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

So X cheeses out on the dinner buffet and then what happens next?  People stop coming and then they close it down.  My prediction.

Someone's post in another forum got me thinking...how about this prediction: they bring back everything to what it used to be...and charge a fee (+ gratuities of course...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

I don’ think the cuts in Oceanview dinner are a good thing but it sounds like the Oceanview diner is providing what was intended. A casual alternative where you can dress sloppy. 

I'm sure someone will be offended by the sloppy comment since it is inaccurate across the population. My hubby wears golf shorts, a short sleeve collared golf shirt, and boat shoes. He looks HOT, not at all  sloppy. We prefer the buffet for reasons other than just being casual, although casual is certainly a positive for us.

You mentioned the steak wasn't good. Have you tried the fresh grilled chicken? Pork? Fish? The Oceanview cafe is a casual alternative where people can get a quick made-to-order meal that is also fresh, hot, and healthy. Often times the MDR food comes floating in sauce. I prefer a nice piece of grilled fish with a garden salad. Have you tried the stir fry where you select the protein and ingredients? The MDR doesn't offer made-to-order items. Made to order items are often the hottest/freshest on the ship which is why the made to order omelet station is so popular. 

Let's not become divisive. This isn't "sloppy buffet person" vs "well dressed MDR person". This is about amenities being reduced that effect everyone. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 12

22 minutes ago, dlh015 said:

Someone's post in another forum got me thinking...how about this prediction: they bring back everything to what it used to be...and charge a fee (+ gratuities of course...)

Years ago before auto gratuities they did charge a fee. It was supposed to cover gratuities. It was something like $$4.50.

Edited by Charles4515

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I'm sure someone will be offended by the sloppy comment since it is inaccurate across the population. My hubby wears

Sloppy means  at T shirt and shorts. Not meant to be offensive. Just to describe. I dress that most of the day on Caribbean cruises. Here in Texas with the heat I dress in a t shirt and shorts much of the year. I only wear long pants to the Symphony. I go to the Symphony a few times a mont. I put on a collared shirt when I go out to a sit down restaurant.

Edited by Charles4515

3 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Sorry, I didn't see that you had already pointed out the error.  I guess I better get back to my TPS reports.  I hope you are doing grrrrreat.

David

Back in the classroom tomorrow! 😲

• Haha 1

Celebrity, like every company, has a strategic plan to optimize profits. They know precisely the consequences of each action. Companies rely on "obedient consumers" to continue to purchase despite declining value. Today's consumers have been taught via Mass Manipulation to continue to purchase whether they need it or not, an automatic behavior called Mass Psychosis.

They will discontinue the buffet and force people to eat in dining rooms - savings #1. Then in the dining rooms, they will reduce the quality - savings #2.

In the dining rooms, which are the only option - they will increase surcharges - profit increase.

All so predictable, yawn.

On Oceania that is discussed on the Celebrity board, they are now reducing time in ports to achieve their "climate change" ya agenda. Oceania guests choose Oceania for the very good itineraries which are better than the mass lines, so here is another example of downgrading.

As a consumer, you have to change with the times and often that means Cancelling a service provider. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ABoatNerd said:

As a consumer, you have to change with the times and often that means Cancelling a service provider. 

I agree but so many have bought into loyalty programs. It is a mistake to think the cruise line will be loyal to you because you are loyal to them. They are loyal to the investors who demand a certain rate of return. Companies often screw up their products to satisfy investors. I have been buying a certain brand of pants for years. A year ago they changed the fabric to supposedly make it sustainable. Said it was an improvement. The new fabric is shiny and not durable. All the feedback is negative yet they persist. I am canceling them. 

6 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I agree but so many have bought into loyalty programs. It is a mistake to think the cruise line will be loyal to you because you are loyal to them. They are loyal to the investors who demand a certain rate of return. Companies often screw up their products to satisfy investors. I have been buying a certain brand of pants for years. A year ago they changed the fabric to supposedly make it sustainable. Said it was an improvement. The new fabric is shiny and not durable. All the feedback is negative yet they persist. I am canceling them. 

You are most correct indeed. A very wise consumer you are, well done indeed. Customers are way down the pecking order for corporations. The "obedient consumer" is desired by corporations because they can be abused and corporations know these consumers buy into the loyalty programs which are often fraudulent in value.  But yet these consumers continue to purchase a declining value product.

Cruising is an example of the "obedient consumer" phenomenon and these consumers are definitely being exploited, more so now than ever.

I cancel service providers many times a week, the current provider that just got cancelled is Oceania because they are now reducing time in port - NOT.

12 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

End of world? No. But Sounds pretty chintzy to me. They cut out the best parts. No international station. The grill and the stir fry. Now trays of pasta based chicken dishes and a meager salad bar. 

If your preferred restaurant removed half the menu you might not like it either. IJS. 

Our preferred seafood restaurant did just that and we have never gone back.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mnocket said:

Sorry, but this sounds like the verbal equivalent of a canned email response.  What are they going to say?? "You made poor points and we are going to ignore them"?

I'm not sure they are ignoring them, they responded withing two hours, so I didn't expect a full response.  I think the point is the more people that do the same, the more in their face it is that there is a major issue that people are unhappy about.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, ABoatNerd said:

They know precisely the consequences of each action

This is the exact problem, they don't know

Current example, how do they know what the response will be by implementing a $9.95 room service charge at all times?

Previous example, ears ago they took away the pillow chocolate and due to complaints and came back and is still happening today

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

That's simple.  Someone pointed out to me that Modern Luxury has been replaced by Relaxed Luxury.  I'm sure that you can understand the difference.

Much like American Airlines, they gave up on "Luxury" and substituted Mediocracy! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABoatNerd said:

They will discontinue the buffet and force people to eat in dining rooms - savings #1. Then in the dining rooms, they will reduce the quality - savings #2.

They're not waiting for #1 to start #2......  Celebrity has "Pork and Beans" as an entrée on the dinner menu tonight on the Equinox.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, MamaToMany said:

So I get chocolate on my pillow, but almost zero dinner at night? I call BS. How is that anything resembling good business practice? (I booked free room service, full Oveanview Cafe hours, and much more. Its all gone.). What I bought and what exists now are two VERY different products. And that’s not in any good way.

Cancel your cruise and get you money back.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

With non-refundable deposits you can't get your money back.

You get everything except the deposit.  

Would that not be better than being miserable because you did not get what you booked?