Renew Passport time

Ombud

I submitted my renewal online the first week of November. It is still processing, but I am hoping things speed up now that the holidays are over. As a previous poster mentioned, the hardest part was having a photo accepted. Many attempts were rejected without any real explanation why. There are also days when the website doesn’t work. It has to send a six digit code before you can log in, and some days it just doesn’t send the code.

Online renewal:

Submitted Nov 30.  Photo accepted on first try, no issues there.  But, the system did have occasional issues sending the one time code.

Still has status listed as "Received"

Anyone else that did online renewals have a status say "received" for so long?

We also just made an appointment for the kids passports for end of Jan. Had to wait for the 1 year before expiration. Cruise is beginning of July. Five months should be plenty of time (I hope!)

I submitted my online renewal on Dec 12 and it accepted the application, payment and photo.  Mine still says "Received" for the status as well.   Mine hasn't been as long as yours, but I've been wondering why the status isn't changing too.  I paid for expedited.   I haven't been able to login the last couple of days to check again.

51 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Online renewal:

Submitted Nov 30.  Photo accepted on first try, no issues there.  But, the system did have occasional issues sending the one time code.

We also just made an appointment for the kids passports for end of Jan. Had to wait for the 1 year before expiration. Cruise is beginning of July. Five months should be plenty of time (I hope!)

Is the 1 year before expiration applies only if submitting online?  When I clicked on "renew by mail", the "5" requirements didn't indicate any time period.  By if renew by online, one of the ten requirement says current passport must be issued between 2007-2013.

13 minutes ago, chubbypiggy said:

Is the 1 year before expiration applies only if submitting online?  When I clicked on "renew by mail", the "5" requirements didn't indicate any time period.  By if renew by online, one of the ten requirement says current passport must be issued between 2007-2013.

You may be right... but I can't get an earlier appointment now anyway. 

Fingers crossed 5 months is enough time!

43 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

I submitted my online renewal on Dec 12 and it accepted the application, payment and photo.  Mine still says "Received" for the status as well.   Mine hasn't been as long as yours, but I've been wondering why the status isn't changing too.  I paid for expedited.   I haven't been able to login the last couple of days to check again.

I did not pay for expediated. This family member isn't cruising until August, so not panicking yet. 

Mailed in our passport renewals on 9 December.   Documents were received on 14 Dec and checks cleared bank on 14 Dec. Did pay for expedited service and 2 day return postage. Their tracking website changed to "processing" last week and today received email saying both renewals were approved.  For expedited service, they stated processing time would be 3 - 5 weeks after renewals were received.  

On 1/3/2023 at 8:25 PM, coo359a2 said:

Mailed in our passport renewals on 9 December.   Documents were received on 14 Dec and checks cleared bank on 14 Dec. Did pay for expedited service and 2 day return postage. Their tracking website changed to "processing" last week and today received email saying both renewals were approved.  For expedited service, they stated processing time would be 3 - 5 weeks after renewals were received.  

Hi,

We mailed our passports Dec 30, they received them Jan 2, show "processing" online Jan 5, and says Expedited Service takes 3-5 weeks. Please update when you receive them. We are traveling February 24th and I'm crossing my fingers we get them in time. I saw a number to call if we don't receive them 2 weeks before traveling. Not sure what they can do at that point, but hopefully something.

On 1/1/2023 at 4:53 PM, CrownCruiserKK said:

I know I can sail with my certified birth certificate if need be, but I would rather not if I can help it.  

Be VERY careful if you are counting on using your birth certificate!!!  It all depends on your itinerary.  And...there are certain restrictions on the actual birth certificate, as well.  It cannot be a copy and (if I remember correctly) it cannot be the one issued by the hospital.  You have to have a certified certificate from your local health department or whoever handles them in your locale.  MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND ALL THE RULES AND REGS!  You don't want to be denied boarding because of "fine print"!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, llarsen said:

Hi,

We mailed our passports Dec 30, they received them Jan 2, show "processing" online Jan 5, and says Expedited Service takes 3-5 weeks. Please update when you receive them. We are traveling February 24th and I'm crossing my fingers we get them in time. I saw a number to call if we don't receive them 2 weeks before traveling. Not sure what they can do at that point, but hopefully something.

Well we got lucky. Got notified on the 3rd that passports were approved and on Thursday (yesterday) had both passports in our mailbox.  I did pay for 2 day delivery and they were really received 2 days after we were notified of their approval.   So took exactly 3 weeks. The passports have quite a few changes.   The picture page with all your info is laminated with several holograms, the passport numbers are punched on each page, a second picture is also on a page for your signature  and there is a page for your telephone numbers, email and emergency contact (to be penciled)

Good luck getting yours back. Should be fine. I booked 2 cruises for March as soon as the passports arrived.  Need to go somewhere warm. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Well we got lucky. Got notified on the 3rd that passports were approved and on Thursday (yesterday) had both passports in our mailbox.  I did pay for 2 day delivery and they were really received 2 days after we were notified of their approval.   So took exactly 3 weeks. The passports have quite a few changes.   The picture page with all your info is laminated with several holograms, the passport numbers are punched on each page, a second picture is also on a page for your signature  and there is a page for your telephone numbers, email and emergency contact (to be penciled)

Good luck getting yours back. Should be fine. I booked 2 cruises for March as soon as the passports arrived.  Need to go somewhere warm. 

Yeah! Glad you have your passports in hand! Hope ours arrive soon! 🙂

4 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Wife submitted a renewal, expedited service, took exactly 2 weeks after it was  received it to be back in her hands.

Did she renew by mail or online? We renewed by mail Dec 30th, paid for expedited service and mail. It would be awesome if we get them in 2 weeks! 

On 1/3/2023 at 3:47 PM, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

Online renewal:

Daughter's passport is expiring at the end of may and we sail middle of June. We have an appointment in 2 weeks to get her new one. Hopefully, it will be enough time!

I submitted my passport for renewal [routine service] by mail on November 14.  It was formally accepted by US Passport Services/State Department on November 18.  I received my new passport yesterday January 6.  It has an issuance date of January 4.  So, about 7 weeks which is within the 6-9 weeks estimate. 

20 minutes ago, Desert Cruisers said:

I submitted my passport for renewal [routine service] by mail on November 14.  It was formally accepted by US Passport Services/State Department on November 18.  I received my new passport yesterday January 6.  It has an issuance date of January 4.  So, about 7 weeks which is within the 6-9 weeks estimate. 

Apparently submitting by mail is faster than online. I submitted mine online more than a week before you and mine is still processing.

16 hours ago, bluetardis said:

I renewed by mail. They received it on 12/19…I’m hoping the 3 to 5 weeks for return with expedited service. It currently has status as “Processing”

Did you renew with standard service or expedited? 

Does your status say "Processing" or "In Process"? Ours says In Process and that they are reviewing our documents.

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 7.26.33 AM.png

50 minutes ago, llarsen said:

Did you renew with standard service or expedited? 

Does your status say "Processing" or "In Process"? Ours says In Process and that they are reviewing our documents.

Screen Shot 2023-01-08 at 7.26.33 AM.png

In Process is what mine said.  This comes from travel.state.gov web site. When mine changed to Approved, I got passports 2 days later.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brian1713 said:

Was curious if with the new passport number you get with a renewal if you have to do anything to keep TSA pre check 

TSA precheck is connected to your passport.  So, I would just call them and ask.  I would not rely on answers here about documentation.  

As far as, Global Entry, if you have TSA precheck through GE, then yes, you do have to update your documents once yiu receive your new passport.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

As far as, Global Entry, if you have TSA precheck through GE, then yes, you do have to update your documents once yiu receive your new passport.

The interface with the new passport numbers is not run daily so it may take a week or for the new number to be recognized.  If it doesn’t work the first time, try again a few days later.  The first time DH tried it (about 10 days after the issue date and 5 days after mailing of the new passport) the new passport number wasn’t found.  A week later it was.

• Like 1