Anyone Currently on Explorer?

Trunkabella

Just got my excursion tickets for next leg of course they are missing a couple even though I have confirmation on my receipts.  Go destinations services!  If they can't do the shore excursions correctly - just lower the price and I'll book myself.  What else can get screwed up on this cruise!  AND yes, they will probably correct in tomorrow after I waste and hour in line of my vacation correcting it with them.

Edited by Lonedaddy

20 hours ago, Pcardad said:

Not if it isn't announced to the TA's by the TA's reps...and it wasn't. This policy change was slipped in without notice or warning.

There is no symptom screening. No cruise line WANTS to find Covid on board.

Would you have not booked the cruise if you or your TA had read the policy? 

29 minutes ago, Lonedaddy said:

AND yes, they will probably correct in tomorrow after I waste and hour in line of my vacation correcting it with them.

We were on Explorer in December and found there standard answer was "we'll put you on the wait list" - I never heard of anyone clearing any wait list or ever hearing back from Shore Excursions with an update. Their service was disappointing I'm afraid

2 hours ago, papaflamingo said:

Would you have not booked the cruise if you or your TA had read the policy? 

My point is that I read policy and changes to policy all the time...there was no notice from Regent that this was changed and removed. As a TA, our internal Rep should have told us. It was there one day and gone the the next. Material changes in policy should be announced...this wasn't. 

On 1/22/2023 at 6:59 AM, HotRoot said:

We travel everywhere with at home Covid tests.  They are free from the government in the USA.  We have never been tested for Covid.  Do not believe we have ever had it.  We are five shots in.  But, if we thought we might have it, it would be good to have a test to know.  We have shared our test kits with other travelers who thought they might have it.  The Covid tests and all OTC always go in our carry on.

And should you catch COVID and report this to medical, the cost will not be cheap -- around $1300 per person (as your cabin mate will likely catch same).  Of course your cruise insurance may cover this.  We are fighting with travel guard over payment.  We now carry Paxlovid in our OTC medicine chest as this is an $800 item on the medical departments price list and free in the US.

As far as temperature checks, NCL is installing facial recognition systems on all ships for their security at the gangway.  So when you leave the ship and return, the system does a temperature check also.

Edited by PaulMCO

5 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

And should you catch COVID and report this to medical, the cost will not be cheap -- around $1300 per person (as your cabin mate will likely catch same).  Of course your cruise insurance may cover this.  We are fighting with travel guard over payment.

As far as temperature check, NCL is installing facial recognition systems on all ships for their security at the gangway.  So when you leave the ship and return, the system does a temperature check also.

They were using this at some ports on the   Navigator in Dec , maybe on the Splendor also. I just don’t remember.

1 hour ago, PaulMCO said:

And should you catch COVID and report this to medical, the cost will not be cheap -- around $1300 per person (as your cabin mate will likely catch same).  Of course your cruise insurance may cover this.  We are fighting with travel guard over payment.  We now carry Paxlovid in our OTC medicine chest as this is an $800 item on the medical departments price list and free in the US.

As far as temperature checks, NCL is installing facial recognition systems on all ships for their security at the gangway.  So when you leave the ship and return, the system does a temperature check also.

My travel insurance company is also resistant to paying for my Paxlovid from our cruise last year. 

Paxlovid ostensibly is only for people who have tested positive. I would love to have some in my luggage on our next cruise. Did you have to do anything special to get a prescription?

2 hours ago, cwn said:

They were using this at some ports on the   Navigator in Dec , maybe on the Splendor also. I just don’t remember.

This = Facial Recognition. They tried it at one port on the Splendor mid-cruise in December, and it must have been glitchy, because they stopped using it after that one attempt: "Please take off your hat." "Please take off your glasses." as the line to reboard got longer and longer.

2 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

My travel insurance company is also resistant to paying for my Paxlovid from our cruise last year. 

Paxlovid ostensibly is only for people who have tested positive. I would love to have some in my luggage on our next cruise. Did you have to do anything special to get a prescription?

A friendly physician prescribed it for our Oceania cruise Dec/Jan. Fortunately avoided it. There are a number of drugs that have interactions.  But it does work --in 3 to 4 days you will test negative on an antigen test.

On 1/24/2023 at 6:34 AM, Stickman1990 said:

We were on Explorer in December and found there standard answer was "we'll put you on the wait list" - I never heard of anyone clearing any wait list or ever hearing back from Shore Excursions with an update. Their service was disappointing I'm afraid

And so, I with at least 40 others waited in line for 49 minutes.  When I finally reached the destinations desk.  They said they haven't been able to print the Darwin tours and some of the Cairns tours as they are confirming times.    Regent why not simply put in a note in everyone's package stating that??? But no, they would rather you stress the night before and then wait for an hour to resolve.  I must say the Destination desk reps could have save themselves a lot of work and aggravation had they simply taking the time to insert that note.

• Like 1

Lonedaddy,  I was in the line also, when the head of the excursions, pops up a the back of the line to mention the missing cains and Darwin tickets.  Once again a totally waste of my time.  Should have been in the note.   Mind you I need to change rooms and Have been asking about for a week.  I finally get a note that assumes I will just be hanging around on the boat at 10 and I can call housekeeping to help with the move.  Well,  I won’t be on the boat past 8:30ish, so what is the process now?    Oh,  housekeeping will just move it.  What about my stuff in the safe - um, oh, ….   I’m bringing that down the night before to the office - my suggestion.   My letter also says to get a new key card at my earliest convenience that had the next cruise end date Feb 13.  I ask for that and I’m told I get that until tomorrow, because of the room  change.   I did get a new card with the date, avoiding what I’m sure will be a mess at desk tomorrow morning when I’m trying to leave the ship and enjoy Australia Day in Sydney Harbour!  Not impressed with the idea that they know what they are doing.  

Regent management really need to reread all letters to read or better yet, get the internet working all of the time and do a blast email.   The environment doesn’t need all of the paper.  On that note,  I’m going to attempt to my survey for the third time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

A friendly physician prescribed it for our Oceania cruise Dec/Jan. Fortunately avoided it. There are a number of drugs that have interactions.  But it does work --in 3 to 4 days you will test negative on an antigen test.

We contracted covid on July cruise.  We were prescribed paxlovid and it definitely had quick results.  And yes, we were billed $800 pp - and was covered by our travel insurance.

2 hours ago, irishwitchy said:

Lonedaddy,  I was in the line also, when the head of the excursions, pops up a the back of the line to mention the missing cains and Darwin tickets.  Once again a totally waste of my time.  Should have been in the note.   Mind you I need to change rooms and Have been asking about for a week.  I finally get a note that assumes I will just be hanging around on the boat at 10 and I can call housekeeping to help with the move.  Well,  I won’t be on the boat past 8:30ish, so what is the process now?    Oh,  housekeeping will just move it.  What about my stuff in the safe - um, oh, ….   I’m bringing that down the night before to the office - my suggestion.   My letter also says to get a new key card at my earliest convenience that had the next cruise end date Feb 13.  I ask for that and I’m told I get that until tomorrow, because of the room  change.   I did get a new card with the date, avoiding what I’m sure will be a mess at desk tomorrow morning when I’m trying to leave the ship and enjoy Australia Day in Sydney Harbour!  Not impressed with the idea that they know what they are doing.  

Regent management really need to reread all letters to read or better yet, get the internet working all of the time and do a blast email.   The environment doesn’t need all of the paper.  On that note,  I’m going to attempt to my survey for the third time.  

Sorry you are having problems with the room change. On the Splendor in Dec they gave us a key with the second cruise end date that  only worked for our current room but would allow us back on the ship in Miami on the change over, a couple of days early. I carried the passports and valuables with me in my travel purse when we left the ship that day. We call our stewardess’s when we got the room stuff ready and left the ship. When we got back on we went the the desk and picked up new room cards. There was no line and our stuff was moved.

I had some changes on tours and I just called told them about the changes needed. Then just picked the new tickets up at my connivence. I agree though that the destination department is on the whole terrible!.

15 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

And should you catch COVID and report this to medical, the cost will not be cheap -- around $1300 per person (as your cabin mate will likely catch same).  course your cruise insurance may cover this.  

Over $1,800 each for us.  Glad we have insurance.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:09 AM, Pcardad said:

My point is that I read policy and changes to policy all the time...there was no notice from Regent that this was changed and removed. As a TA, our internal Rep should have told us. It was there one day and gone the the next. Material changes in policy should be announced...this wasn't. 

Just for clarity, you're suggesting that Regent put a "heads up" note to every booked or "on hold"  passenger that they are changing the covid rules?  I wonder, how many emails will that be?  Maybe this stuff just doesn't bother me because I have known for 3 years now that the covid rules change frequently as we progress through this era.  So I keep up and when it changes, I simply deal with it.  

But you didn't answer my question. Would knowing ahead of the change make you cancel the cruise? 

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Just for clarity, you're suggesting that Regent put a "heads up" note to every booked or "on hold"  passenger that they are changing the covid rules?  I wonder, how many emails will that be?  Maybe this stuff just doesn't bother me because I have known for 3 years now that the covid rules change frequently as we progress through this era.  So I keep up and when it changes, I simply deal with it.  

But you didn't answer my question. Would knowing ahead of the change make you cancel the cruise? 

papa, pcardad is a TA; he is just stating that TAs should have been notified not every customer; I kind of agree with him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

I am suggesting that material changes to their policies should be communicated via the sales reps to the TA's. This can be done with a simple email and at virtually no cost. The software is in place and is used all the time. We all know the rules change...and we look for these changes and we expect them. But material changes should be announced. I also keep up but this isn't the type of change I should have to "find", it should be announced. Knowing ahead of time would not make me cancel the cruise...that is not the issue. But it might cause people, who otherwise would not insure, to get insurance. Hiding this change by not openly sharing it was a poor choice, IMO.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrlevin said:

papa, pcardad is a TA; he is just stating that TAs should have been notified not every customer; I kind of agree with him.

True. Regent chose to NOT announce this change. I understand why...they removed a substantial benefit to their clients. But in choosing not to share it it appears they were hiding it. That will, I think, cost them more in the long run. You all know I love Regent...but I certainly will call them on something that I consider to be a bad decision.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

True. Regent chose to NOT announce this change. I understand why...they removed a substantial benefit to their clients. But in choosing not to share it it appears they were hiding it. That will, I think, cost them more in the long run. You all know I love Regent...but I certainly will call them on something that I consider to be a bad decision.

Ahh... well being a TA certainly changes the conversation.  Sure, informing TA's is a great idea.  But I disagree with your statement "in choosing not to share it it appears they were hiding it."  It was clear to me and I'm not a TA, but simply someone who keep up with rules that affect me.  It wasn't hidden at all.  

Edited by papaflamingo

35 minutes ago, papaflamingo said:

Ahh... well being a TA certainly changes the conversation.  Sure, informing TA's is a great idea.  But I disagree with your statement "in choosing not to share it it appears they were hiding it."  It was clear to me and I'm not a TA, but simply someone who keep up with rules that affect me.  It wasn't hidden at all.  

That is your opinion and I respect it. I spend a lot of time keeping current with Regent's rules and policies and there is no disputing that it was there one day and gone the next and they didn't tell anyone they changed it. Not announcing a material change that is not favorable to clients is the same as hiding it, IMO. We can agree to disagree. 

• Like 2