New MDR menus yet?

15 hours ago, poocher said:

Pork belly at CK was really bad too.  I assume it’s not supposed to be a big hunk of chewy fat?

That's what it looked like to me....ugh....give me my thin pieces of crispy bacon instead please!  😉   Sooo bad for me...but sooo good.  

OMG...why does everything that tastes so good have to be so bad for you?   Anyone into Chicken Livers and Onions?  Mmmmm....  Now why isn't that on the menu? 

Doctor once told Bucky that "If it tastes good...spit it out.  If it tastes like cardboard you can eat it".  😜   

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, katiel53 said:

I don't like the bacon or whatever it is called there, but i love the crispy pork belly at 150 Central Park.  It is just a small piece, but it is so crispy and delicious.  I think that's part of why 150 is my favorite restaurant.

I guess I should not have judged all crispy pork bellies by what they served at CK.   Might try it again if we find ourselves at 150 again.   

Then there is the "bacon" they serve at the WJ....a giant tangled glop of greasy dripping  "what is that"?    😮

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Hummmmmm, that was a shock.  I just went into Royals site and looked at the menu for Chops and I'll be damned it is Bacon, "Grilled Black Pepper Bacon".  I think it has changed since I was in a Chops last.  I'm sure/positive it was Pork Belly when we were on the Symphony in ~2019.  I remember, no one else in our party of 13 wanted anything to do with "pork belly" and the server(s) automatically brought it to everyone.  Well, in no time at all, I had 12 additional servings of the stuff on my plate.  Loved it.  No, I didn't eat all of them.  

Too funny!!   😅

16 minutes ago, Garmy44 said:

Don’t get too excited if the app for your next cruise shows the old menu. I am on a 6 day sailing and the app shows dinner for day 7!

It all balances out.  I'm getting ready for an 8 night, and it only shows a menu for 6 nights! 

Same thing happened when we took an 8 night on the same ship last month.  The menu was never complete until we logged on to the ship internet and used the app once on board.     Then a few  times (generally for lunch) the app was incorrect.   No worries. 

It will take months for the menus to roll out, get tweaked etc for all ships.  

M

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, island lady said:

Then there is the "bacon" they serve at the WJ....a giant tangled glop of greasy dripping  "what is that"?    😮

Oh, be still my fluttering heart (in a good way).  Dripping with grease is where the flavor is.  That's why I go to the WJ for breakfast, for the bacon, the grease dripping bacon.  I go early before all the others start moving in the cabin(s), eat my mound of bacon, go back to the cabin and just fit in with the rest of the activity and plans for breakfast where I get my eggs and more bacon, usually 2 or 3 or 4 slices is what they bring in the full service venues.

Here at home, we save the grease from cooking bacon (we cook our bacon in the oven, bake it) and pan fry our egg in it.  I also add bacon bits to our cheese, onion, omelets here.  We usually have bacon and eggs for diner, not breakfast and not too often, to be honest.  I also love Jimmy Dean and/or Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage, again, oven baked, last night, in fact.  Tooooooooo bad, Sam' doesn't carry, Jimmy Dean Hot anymore, at least not here in Oxford, AL.  Wish we had a Costco.  Too far to go to Birmingham to shop for just two.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

Oh, be still my fluttering heart (in a good way).  Dripping with grease is where the flavor is.  That's why I go to the WJ for breakfast, for the bacon, the grease dripping bacon.  I go early before all the others start moving in the cabin(s), eat my mound of bacon, go back to the cabin and just fit in with the rest of the activity and plans for breakfast where I get my eggs and more bacon, usually 2 or 3 or 4 slices is what they bring in the full service venues.

Here at home, we save the grease from cooking bacon (we cook our bacon in the oven, bake it) and pan fry our egg in it.  I also add bacon bits to our cheese, onion, omelets here.  We usually have bacon and eggs for diner, not breakfast and not too often, to be honest.  I also love Jimmy Dean and/or Tennessee Pride Hot breakfast sausage, again, oven baked, last night, in fact.  Tooooooooo bad, Sam' doesn't carry, Jimmy Dean Hot anymore, at least not here in Oxford, AL.  Wish we had a Costco.  Too far to go to Birmingham to shop for just two.  

Oh yeah, you and my Grandfather would have gotten along just great.  My Grandma always saved the "bacon drippings" for him.  😉 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

Me too for Jan 6. I hope the menu stays the same, I like the Tagliatelle & Garlic shrimp on night 3.

Yumms...the Tagliatelle is indeed good....though for some reason a bit spicy on recent Serenade.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, badattitude said:

No new menus yet, Royal is still in negotiation with Hungry Man and Swanson. 

Funny you should say that.  On our last RCL cruise I felt like every dish was a slab of meat (pork, beef, or chicken) covered with gravy with a side of mashed potatoes.  Oddly reminiscent of Hungry Man. We are sailing on the Allure and I hope they have a little more of the "fresh cusine" stuff on the menu.  Just one persons option, I know my DH loves meat and potatoes with gravy but I have gotten away from it.

• Like 2

According to one cruise industry media subscription email this morning, they reached out to Vicki Freed over the weekend for an update and she said they should have the new menus rolled out fleetwide by the end of February and they continue to tweak them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Anton said:

According to one cruise industry media subscription email this morning, they reached out to Vicki Freed over the weekend for an update and she said they should have the new menus rolled out fleetwide by the end of February and they continue to tweak them.

In time for our April cruise.  I'm actually kind of excited for something new.  As someone who doesn't eat snails and can't eat shellfish,  it'll be a good change.   

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Anton said:

Thanks for the info!  Will be back on Jewel again for another 6/8 B2B by end of Feb.....will be interesting to see it the new ones are on board at that time.  🙂 

19 minutes ago, Anton said:

Who is Vicky Freed?  Is she part of the brain trust that is involved in this decision.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

In time for our April cruise.  I'm actually kind of excited for something new.  As someone who doesn't eat snails and can't eat shellfish,  it'll be a good change.   

What makes you think those items will no longer be offered in the MDR? 

46 minutes ago, davekathy said:

What makes you think those items will no longer be offered in the MDR? 

Where did I say that?  I said it will be a good change for ME based on the fact that apparently escargot won't be offered everyday. Geez, I'm just looking forward to different items.    Not to mention, most of us have had these menus many times over the last few years and it's tired. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, BND said:

Where did I say that?  I said it will be a good change for ME based on the fact that apparently escargot won't be offered everyday. Geez, I'm just looking forward to different items.    Not to mention, most of us have had these menus many times over the last few years and it's tired. 

You didn't say, "won't be offered everyday" in your post I responded to or I wouldn't have asked. I believe escargot will still be offered everyday but it will remain under the classics section (where it was on our March Explorer cruise) along with others possibly old favorite selections. The menu may also be different fleetwide. We have always found enough variety each evening not to get tired of the selections. Change isn't always the new and improved either. We'll decide for ourselves.