2023 Grand World Voyage with The Inside Cabin

The-Inside-Cabin

Pete, thank you so much for your comprehensive summary of Gus' session. I have to say I am impressed with him being as open and forthright as it seems he was. I think he is going to be a good leader for the line. 

I am sure excited by that Pole to Pole itinerary! Just don't know if this old body would be willing, but the spirit sure wants to try! 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Pete, thank you so much for your comprehensive summary of Gus' session. I have to say I am impressed with him being as open and forthright as it seems he was. I think he is going to be a good leader for the line. 

I am sure excited by that Pole to Pole itinerary! Just don't know if this old body would be willing, but the spirit sure wants to try! 

Me too.... would probably have to rob a bank but then I could hide out on the ship.

Susan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, carolyn22 said:

And I’m scratching my head a bit when he said that HAL spends 50% more on entertainment than their competitors. I’ve been on many other cruise lines (RCL, Celebrity, Princess, etc), and I have to say that HAL’s entertainment is dead last in my book. Maybe they paid too much for those movies (is it Planet Earth?) that they pass off as evening entertainment in the big theater. 😂

Yes. You have to read between the lines. Just because they spend more, does not mean it's better or efficiently done. They got themselves into high cost "brand" contracts and new agency contracts instead of having the old staff production recruiters to find the entertainment and plan the acts. They saved money on overhead but, like anything, adding middlemen and paying for "marketing" brands costs more. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RuthC said:

He was very impressive - good knowledge of issues - no dodging issues or corporate doublespeak..   Direct answers to questions about single supplement, wine stewards, dance hosts etc... Surprised he went for 2.5 hours -  He listened to all - everyone had a chance to talk - no one was rushed..

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just now, REOVA said:

Yes. You have to read between the lines. Just because they spend more, does not mean it's better or efficiently done. They got themselves into high cost "brand" contracts and new agency contracts instead of having the old staff production recruiters to find the entertainment and plan the acts. They saved money on overhead but, like anything, adding middlemen and paying for "marketing" brands costs more. 🤷‍♂️

He also said they spend significantly more on grand than other cruises -but added - maybe we are spending it on the wrong stuff....

It would have been nice to drill down a tad on that entertainment answer - 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

He also said they spend significantly more on grand than other cruises -but added - maybe we are spending it on the wrong stuff....

It would have been nice to drill down a tad on that entertainment answer - 

I'm sure after 2.5 hours he didn't want to go down that rabbit hole. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 12 months in Seattle. They can't continue to acknowledge without changes (in a better direction). 

Tjanks for the detail report and updates. At least they selected my choice for GWC so we can finish 2020. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, REOVA said:

I'm sure after 2.5 hours he didn't want to go down that rabbit hole. 

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next 12 months in Seattle. They can't continue to acknowledge without changes (in a better direction). 

Tjanks for the detail report and updates. At least they selected my choice for GWC so we can finish 2020. 🤣

He committed to bringing back the Yum Yum man!.....

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Pete - Thanks for the  terrific news about the return of the Yum Yum man!😊

You made my day! I loved seeing the Yum Yum man on the Veendam years ago!!!

Thanks for all your reporting and pictures. You both are photogenic and look great!

I appreciate your details about the Q &A. Thanks for taking the time to let all of us know.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

He was very impressive - good knowledge of issues - no dodging issues or corporate doublespeak..   Direct answers to questions about single supplement, wine stewards, dance hosts etc... Surprised he went for 2.5 hours -  He listened to all - everyone had a chance to talk - no one was rushed..

Absolutely wonderful with  Gus answering so much and your notes.  Really appreciate it.  Had hoped single supplement would drop but darn.  

Thanks for all your posts.  

Edited by canadianbear
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BetsyS. said:

Pete - Thanks for the  terrific news about the return of the Yum Yum man!😊

You made my day! I loved seeing the Yum Yum man on the Veendam years ago!!!

What he forgot to mention is Yum Yum is appearing in 2 shows on the World Stage as added entertainment.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

I would think that provisioning would be a huge expense. How much did it cost to have eight containers of supplies shipped to Dakar that were not delivered?

Great thread, Pete.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, whogo said:

I would think that provisioning would be a huge expense. How much did it cost to have eight containers of supplies shipped to Dakar that were not delivered?

Great thread, Pete.

Henk said they paid $70K just for customs clearance, never mind the cost of shipment, storage and the cost of the actual contents. 

2 minutes ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Henk said they paid $70K just for customs clearance, never mind the cost of shipment, storage and the cost of the actual contents. 

I'll bet they don't ever try to ship there again!

Edited by oakridger

15 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

My gut feeling is that most complaints are based on guests comparing this cruise to previous world cruises.

Based on my unscientific and limited discussions with first timers, then tend to have fewer complaints as they don't have the baseline of previous world cruises.

I agree with you.

16 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

My gut feeling is that most complaints are based on guests comparing this cruise to previous world cruises.

Based on my unscientific and limited discussions with first timers, then tend to have fewer complaints as they don't have the baseline of previous world cruises.

It’s refreshing to read your enthusiastic, appreciative, and joyful posts as we follow along on your journey.  Thank you, Pete, Judy, and Table 89.  You have been very generous in the sharing of your time, information, pictures and videos.  With no complaining!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

It’s refreshing to read your enthusiastic, appreciative, and joyful posts as we follow along on your journey.  Thank you, Pete, Judy, and Table 89.  You have been very generous in the sharing of your time, information, pictures and videos.  With no complaining!

We approach every cruise as if it's our first - and last.....

• Like 24
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, canadianbear said:

Absolutely wonderful with  Gus answering so much and your notes.  Really appreciate it.  Had hoped single supplement would drop but darn.  

Thanks for all your posts.  

As someone that pays 100 percent single supp every time I think it’s a necessary evil.  I would expect that people that are together might enjoy their own cabin just for more space and if it costs no more, why not? I think it would be nice if it was only 25 or 50 percent for at least oceanview or inside cabins. 

• Like 1