Royal Caribbean for a solo cruise to Alaska?

jbinpa

Hi and Happy New Year! I'm new to this community, so I apologize if this has been discussed elsewhere. But I've read some of the other threads in this section and thank you for your insights.

I'm interested in doing a solo cruise this summer, preferably to Alaska. I've been on cruises with family members before, but never as a solo, and my last cruise period was 13 years ago.

From my research, Norwegian seems to have the best structure for solo cruisers (the specialized rooms, the dedicated lounge area, etc.). But I really like a Royal Caribbean itinerary on Brilliance of the Seas. For one thing, its stop in Ketchikan is in the town itself vs. at the dock several miles outside of town, as is the case with Norwegian. This Royal Caribbean cruise also spends more time in some of the Alaska destinations I'd like to visit. 

My question is: How would you rate Royal Caribbean for solo travelers? Is Norwegian better enough for solo travelers to take that option vs. the cruise line with my preferable itinerary?

Thank you so much!

I booked a solo trip to Alaska on HAL because I liked the itinerary much better and they had a deal (now expired) for Cyber Monday I couldn't pass up. Quite frankly, I don't think there's enough of a difference in the way that the lines treat solo passengers to make that the deciding factor.

I say if you prefer the itinerary that RC offers, go for it!

• Like 2

I'm taking my 6th Alaskan cruise this coming September.  My recommendation would be to take @dreamer321's advice and base your choice on itinerary.  Alaska is all about glaciers and ports of call.  

Juneau is another port where Norwegian docks at an industrial port and you're bused in, vs Princess and HAL that get prime dock space.  Do Norwegian or RC go to Glacier Bay?  Don't dismiss Carnival.  I did a great Alaskan cruise on Carnival.

• 5 months later...

I live in Seattle and cruise to Alaska solo at least once a year, so I have sailed on most ALL the cruise lines.  I really enjoyed my Royal cruise, in particular, the stateroom. I had virtual balcony and it was roomy, it had a coffeemaker (which I loved) and the entertainment was great.  The itinerary wasn’t the greatest (which, in the case of Alaska is important) but I have been to these ports many times so I hung out in the Solarium and enjoyed an empty ship most days. YMMV

I have my first Alaska cruise booked for September on Radiance of the Seas as my second solo cruise.  My first solo was the recent Transatlantic on Rhapsody and I loved it!  They didn't do a whole lot for solos - based on the numbers, there must have been at least 150 solos, but the second day solo lunch only had 16 people.  The activities person in charge said she's NEVER had that many, and it's usually no more than 5 that show up for lunch!  I guess a lot of solos aren't interested in meeting other people... I saw some of those people throughout the cruise, and also met a lot of others because I was planning a tour for our final destination (Haifa).  I had to contact my tour guide multiple times to ask for a bigger bus - we ended up with 48 people, and I've stayed in touch with a few.

32 minutes ago, MariettaGuy said:

I have my first Alaska cruise booked for September on Radiance of the Seas as my second solo cruise.  My first solo was the recent Transatlantic on Rhapsody and I loved it!  They didn't do a whole lot for solos - based on the numbers, there must have been at least 150 solos, but the second day solo lunch only had 16 people.  The activities person in charge said she's NEVER had that many, and it's usually no more than 5 that show up for lunch!  I guess a lot of solos aren't interested in meeting other people... I saw some of those people throughout the cruise, and also met a lot of others because I was planning a tour for our final destination (Haifa).  I had to contact my tour guide multiple times to ask for a bigger bus - we ended up with 48 people, and I've stayed in touch with a few.

I just had a similar experience on a solo Alaska cruise on Holland America's Koningsdam. There was a solo cruiser's "happy hour" the first evening just after sailaway, as well as a lunch the next day. After that we were basically on our own. I'd be interested to know if things are different on Norwegian, which does a lot more to cater to solo cruisers (in particular its dedicated solo cruisers lounge). 

That said, a good deal of solo cruisers are there to be alone for one reason or another. And others may be "solo" in the sense they're not traveling with a significant other but they're still part of a larger group.

8 hours ago, latebuyer said:

On my royal caribbean cruise coming up there is solo get togethers and singles get togethers. Is the singles one supposed to be about meeting someone romantically?

No, I think get togethers are meant to meet other passengers and having someone romantically has nothing to do with it. I have been sailing solo for over 20 years and that is the last reason I think about when cruising.

23 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

I don't understand why they are named differently then 

I don't know what to tell you. I haven't sailed Royal in years and years. I can say as a solo guest, if they offer a "solo/singles get together", it would probably be just to meet other solos. As for anything being romantic? I would guess that depends on the person. What its called? Doesn't make any difference (to me anyway).  I rarely attend those type of functions. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just went on my cruise and had a good time. Unfortunately, though, i discovered for my time dining there isn't shared dining. You need to do traditional dining for that. I found sitting at a window helped. Definitely join the facebook group for your cruise as there is a slot pull and pub crawl if someone organizes it. I went on the pub crawl and enjoyed meeting people.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, latebuyer said:

I just went on my cruise and had a good time. Unfortunately, though, i discovered for my time dining there isn't shared dining. You need to do traditional dining for that. I found sitting at a window helped. Definitely join the facebook group for your cruise as there is a slot pull and pub crawl if someone organizes it. I went on the pub crawl and enjoyed meeting people.

Thanks for coming back here to report on how your cruise went! People planning on cruising on Royal Caribbean will be happy for your information.

FYI, Holland America Line will seat people at shared tables during "As You Wish Dining".  Just tell them when entering that you are interested in sharing.  They usually ask if you don't mention it.  I generally sit by myself in the MDR unless I have met people on board that I decide to dine with.  My request for a single table has always been accommodated on HAL.

~Nancy

Thanks Nancy. Glad someone read it! Yes i really enjoyed my first cruise on holland america due to shared dining. I should have added that royal had unhosted solo groups every day. I went to first one and no one came. It could have been because this was a small ship.