Printing Luggage Tags: Must Be in Color?

teddie

54 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I am a bit OCD.  Not only did I print mine out in color, I Photoshopped them to remove the "fold/staple here" lines, and slightly enlarged them to fully fill the plastic tag holders from Amazon.  😛

Yep, you are OCD.

• Like 3

On 1/5/2023 at 5:06 PM, Ashland said:

We never print them out ... We get them (airline type) from one of the terminal porter's...write our cabin # on them...attach them and we're good to go. We've been doing this since RCI stopped mailing tags out (so a long time) and have never had a problem. 

Just slows down porters from moving on to help others.

• Like 4

On 1/5/2023 at 2:41 PM, ATSEAMYLIFE said:

No need B&W is fine.  However, I would buy some luggage tag holders to put them in.  I bought some years ago and use them when we cruise.  I cut down the tag, fold in half, and insert in the holder.  They have really strong steel loop chains to attach to your luggage.  Much better and easier than folding, stapling, and/or laminating.  

I love using these luggage tag holders.  Ours are all plastic but haven't lost/broken any yet.  They are pretty sturdy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Just slows down porters from moving on to help others.

No...it actually doesn't, they hand them to us and they continue on to helping other's. They certainly don't stand there waiting for us. We then hand them our luggage once we tag them. This is no big deal !!

6 hours ago, Ashland said:

No...it actually doesn't, they hand them to us and they continue on to helping other's. They certainly don't stand there waiting for us. We then hand them our luggage once we tag them. This is no big deal !!

Just watch as you hand off luggage. 1/3 are bent over attaching tags. Has to slow the process!

• Like 2

On 1/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, teddie said:

How important is it to print out the luggage tags in color?  I only have a B&W printer.  Should I go to Staples and pay for color print outs, or is it a non-issue?

The answer is right there on the luggage tag page:

3. Make as many copies of this tag as you require, preferably in color.

So if you have a color printer, great. If not, don't give it a moment's thought.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ashland said:

No matter how you describe it the process is taking more time dealing with you than with me.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

So when there are a few hundred cars waiting to off load their bags and only a certain number of spaces to do so, taking up easily more than 5 minutes at one of these spaces to fumble around asking for labels and a marker doesn't slow down the process for everyone? I think it would .

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But you are dependent on a porter to actually write the correct numbers and the ship’s personnel to be able to read the porter’s handwriting. 

Print your tags. 

Put one tag on the top handle and one tag on the side handle. 

Easy. 

Never was a problem it is only numbers - Not printing is EASY!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

So when there are a few hundred cars waiting to off load their bags and only a certain number of spaces to do so, taking up easily more than 5 minutes at one of these spaces to fumble around asking for labels and a marker doesn't slow down the process for everyone? I think it would .

"Cars" we're not in a car !! And we have our own pen. Some of you are completely over thinking this. So you do what works best for you and I'll continue to do what's  quickest and easiest for us and will certainly not get in your way or slow you down.

All I can say to the “slowdown” process is that if the porter has to stop and spend a few extra minutes to write a tag, it may cut into the porter's money-making prospects. But a “good” porter likely has the timing down pretty well…

teddie  

37 minutes ago, Ashland said:

"Cars" we're not in a car !! And we have our own pen. Some of you are completely over thinking this. So you do what works best for you and I'll continue to do what's  quickest and easiest for us and will certainly not get in your way or slow you down.

Having tags on our bags is quickest and easiest for us. 

Glad you have a different opinion, and if you aren't in a car you would never slow us down.

Happy sailing

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

But you are dependent on a porter to actually write the correct numbers and the ship’s personnel to be able to read the porter’s handwriting. 

Print your tags. 

Put one tag on the top handle and one tag on the side handle. 

Easy. 

I put one inside my bag as well 

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

I'll continue to do what's  quickest and easiest for us

You seem to be digging yourself a bigger hole. You say *you* haven't had a problem with showing up without tagged luggage, and you are only interested in what pleases *you*. Yes, that's the problem.

Getting thousands of people and their luggage onboard in just a few hours is already a challenge. It wouldn't kill you to try to do the little things that make it smoother for everybody. Play along.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

You seem to be digging yourself a bigger hole. You say *you* haven't had a problem with showing up without tagged luggage, and you are only interested in what pleases *you*. Yes, that's the problem.

Getting thousands of people and their luggage onboard in just a few hours is already a challenge. It wouldn't kill you to try to do the little things that make it smoother for everybody. Play along.

It's not what "pleases" us. It's what is easiest for us to personally do. 40+ cruises and counting with RCI and I can say we've never felt we slowed anyone down...just the opposite.

We've always been patient with fellow travelers...So "yes" we actually do play along. If you find yourself in line behind us to check in at the terminal you'll be glad you were. 

Too many posters stress out about luggage tags.....we're not one of them.

14 hours ago, Ashland said:

It's not what "pleases" us. It's what is easiest for us to personally do. 40+ cruises and counting with RCI and I can say we've never felt we slowed anyone down...just the opposite.

We've always been patient with fellow travelers...So "yes" we actually do play along. If you find yourself in line behind us to check in at the terminal you'll be glad you were. 

Cause you are in LA la land and can not grasp reality.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:43 PM, LB_NJ said:

Did not know that.  we only have a B&W printer so that is all we ever do.

I send mine in a digital file to print at the UPS Store ... I send things to UPS fairly often, so I already have an account, and I can send this file in about a minute, then I can pick up as soon as an hour later.  

It costs .60 to print a single page of color ... and that'll get me the two luggage tags I need.  The UPS Store is right next to Target, so I'm already in the parking lot.  

On 1/7/2023 at 8:48 PM, publicpersona said:

Agree.  Embarkation is a complicated process, and if we all follow directions it'll be easier for everyone.

On 1/7/2023 at 9:35 PM, Ashland said:

Not stressing in the least.  Following directions requires maybe 10 minutes. 

Those 10 minutes give us greater certainty we'll get through embarkation quickly /without slowing the process and that our luggage will show up in the right place.  Proper preparation should not be confused with stress.