Friend Can't Go - Cancel or No Show?

Zachsmom

We have a two person balcony cabin booked on a Carnival cruise in 3 weeks.  My friend found out yesterday that she won't be able to go on our cruise.  My daughter and her friend are going as well, but are booked in another cabin.  We know that she will not receive a refund for the cruise fare.  Do we call Carnival and cancel my friend before the cruise or do we just show up at the port and not say anything?  This will be my 12th cruise on Carnival, but I've never had a cabin mate cancel or be a no show.  Also, we had planned to purchase Cheers.  Once on board, will they allow me to still purchase Cheers for myself or would they charge me for two people since she was booked in the cabin?   Thanks in advance for any advice.

I would have her no show at the ship. Tell them she got sick last minute, but you were not around her.  They should refund her port taxes and fees. She should not have to pay gratuities.  If you are the only one who is in the cabin, I would think they would allow you to just purchase cheers for yourself after the ship debarks. 

As stupid as it sounds, some people on here have been charged fees before for calling and canceling.  And if the booking rate is under her name and was a specialty rate, you are less likely to be charged the higher rate if she just no shows. 

Also, I have a fear of them not refunding her money and then charging you a single supplementation if you call ahead of time.  I don't know that they would do that, but they might. 

Edited by Eli_6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING!  If asked, just say she is arriving separately. If you say something at the port, you run the risk of them running her cancellation then and there and then charging you the single supplement.  If you cancel before going, they will reprice your cruise and charge you the single supplement.

They will refund her port fees, taxes, and any prepaids to the original form of payment.

Once the ship has sailed, you will be able to purchase Cheers just for you, as she will be documented as a no-show.

Have a great cruise!

Edited by Schoifmom
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING!  If asked, just say she is arriving separately. If you say something at the port, you run the risk of them running her cancellation then and there and then charging you the single supplement.

They will refund her port fees, taxes, and any prepaids to the original form of payment.

Once the ship has sailed, you will be able to purchase Cheers just for you, as she will be documented as a no-show.

Have a great cruise!

This is probably even better advise.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

DON'T TELL THEM ANYTHING!  If asked, just say she is arriving separately. If you say something at the port, you run the risk of them running her cancellation then and there and then charging you the single supplement.  If you cancel before going, they will reprice your cruise and charge you the single supplement.

Have a great cruise!

I'm not quite sure I follow this advice. Cruiser #2's fare isn't getting refunded either way. If they cancel her, they don't add additional fare to Cruiser #1. 

By buying Cheers onboard, that is definitely an added fee. 

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I'm not quite sure I follow this advice. Cruiser #2's fare isn't getting refunded either way. If they cancel her, they don't add additional fare to Cruiser #1. 

There will be a cancelation fee.

• Like 1

This comes up a lot and the general advice seems to be to just no show, don't say anything about them coming at the pier and when it comes time to set sail they'll probably call their name over the speaker and then that will be that. Taxes and port fees, and any pre-paid things like Cheers or tips, will be refunded to the original method of payment.

15 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There have been reports of people stating at the port that their cruise companion isn't coming.  Those at the port will go in and cancel the person not coming, causing a single supplement charge to be applied to the person actually sailing.  If they don't say anything, they avoid this possibility.

Edited by Schoifmom

As a check-in agent, I would be asking about the whereabouts of other person in the cabin with you.  If you told me that that person wasn't coming (the reason doesn't matter), I would let my Pier Coordinator know, only for the purpose of figuring out how many more passengers to expect as it gets closer to the terminal's doors being closed.  We are not instructed by management to let the Pier Coordinator know, but I do as a matter of courtesy.  As a consumer myself, I can't imagine that Carnival would retroactively charge someone after embarking the single supplement fee. 

The agents checking you in do not work for a particular cruise line.  We work for a third party employer, and many of us do check-in for any and all cruise lines that sail from that particular homeport.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sunonfire said:

Why would they charge the single supplement, the cabin is fully paid for 2?

Because at the point of cancellation the cabin is not fully paid for. If you call a week before and state someone is not going that becomes a partial cancellation. The other cancelling person's fare is confiscated as the 100 percent penalty phase so the fare  paid is wiped out (taken as penalty)and then the room is not fully funded. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/5/2023 at 4:40 PM, mz-s said:

This comes up a lot and the general advice seems to be to just no show, don't say anything about them coming at the pier and when it comes time to set sail they'll probably call their name over the speaker and then that will be that. Taxes and port fees, and any pre-paid things like Cheers or tips, will be refunded to the original method of payment.

Are you 100% sure cheers will be refunded? I'm in a similar situation. I have a 4 person cabin but only 3 of us will be able to make it. We purchased cheers at the cheaper price before it went up in 2022. I dont wanna cancel the package and rebuy at the higher price but I'm afraid they won't refund that 4th no show cheers package if we keep it the way it is.